Amundsen Mib2 Map Updates 2024

Well it depends whether you have a map card in it, Discovery Media or not which is the Discovery Pro. The Pro uses an SSD. This thread is for the VW Discovery Media if it's a VW. Your existing map release will be xxxx the other check, 4 characters. The Pro is MartiniB's other thread. 350 is the latest. xxx, three characters. 2.5 whether it's a Discovery Media or Pro use the same maps as 2.0 subject to type, SD storage or SSD.

Edited by Tell
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tell said:

Well it depends whether you have a map card in it, Discovery Media or not which is the Discovery Pro. The Pro uses an SSD. This thread is for the VW Discovery Media if it's a VW. Your existing map release will be xxxx the other check, 4 characters. The Pro is MartiniB's other thread. 350 is the latest. xxx, three characters. 2.5 whether it's a Discovery Media or Pro use the same maps as 2.0 subject to type, SD storage or SSD.

Thanks Tell

I have the Amundsen MIB 2.5 in my MK III SSuperb MY2018

I think given the delay in maps being issued coinciding with TMC issues the VAG might be discontinuing updates for our units.

TMC is only the UK and France as far as I know. Going to become more clear I reckon when they put a weblink to the mib2 high map and not mib2 standard - are they waiting for the mib2 standard one to come out of QA. If no link to either then it would appear they have done their discontinued + 5 years calculation for the mib2 standard and high but as Pcbbc said it should run on longer for the Audi TT in mib2 high form. We'll see.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John1701 said:

VAG might be discontinuing updates for our units

that times are coming 😞

2023.10.09 VW stopped support of Discover Care
what were exe for checking and download updates by selected car/infotainment model, similar as their web
i haven't use it ever, but it's information source, xml page, were perfect source to fix published date and all files in one list

this part of catching code became useless

DiscoverCare)		# =========== DiscoverCare
				# =========== check filenames in the XML file

# 2021/2022	2021.06.30
# 2022		2021.11.25
# 2022/2023	2022.06.27
# 2023		2022.12.15
# - - -		2023.10.09	Sorry, no more updates here. Please use myVolkswagen

fTMP=/tmp/vw_discovercare.xml
wget -O $fTMP -q https://www.volkswagen.com/content/medialib/vwd4/global/discovercare/files/configuration/_jcr_content/renditions/rendition.file/discovercare.xml
if [ "$?" = "0" ]; then
  if [ -s $fTMP ]; then
	tDATE=`grep -si " last update " $fTMP| head -n1| sed -e s/.*update// -e s/--.*// -e s/\ //g`
	if [ ${tDATE:8:2}${tDATE:3:2}${tDATE:0:2} -gt "221215" ]; then
		for tFILE in `grep -s "http.*vw-maps.*.7z" $fTMP| sed -e s/.*https/http/ -e s/\<.*//`; do
			if grep -qsE $tFILE $cCAUGHT; then
				echo -e "file is known \t"$tFILE
				echo -e "file is known \t"$tFILE>>$cLogFILE
			else
				echo -e "new file \t"$tFILE
				echo -e "new file \t"$tFILE>>$cLogFILE
				echo -e "----.--.--\t"$cMibID"\t"$tFILE>>$cCAUGHT_Today
				IsFound=1
				IsCAUGHT=1
			fi
		done
	else
		echo "XML last update: "${tDATE:6:4}.${tDATE:3:2}.${tDATE:0:2}
		echo "XML last update: "${tDATE:6:4}.${tDATE:3:2}.${tDATE:0:2}>>$cLogFILE
	fi
  else
	echo Zero len $fTMP
	echo Zero len $fTMP>>$cLogFILE
  fi
else
  echo !!! Download $fTMP failed !!!
  echo !!! Download $fTMP failed !!!>>$cLogFILE
fi

Although Discover Care was a bit of a disaster package so might have been pulled for that. I'm not going to do the maths for VW but it will hinge on when the last unit was fitted plus 5 years.

I reckon mib2 standard people with the UK TMC DIY fix can soldier on another 5 years with old maps to 2030 (maps ~8 years old by then). Mib2 high with any luck we get a couple more years based on the Audi TT on @pcbbc reckoning and UK TMC fix.

Nice EV will then await for 2030. You don't need to change your car that often 😇. My thinking will last out to 2030. My normal model of making cars last out. Mib5 for me if VAG doesnt go under or if the local dealer doesn't change to BYD or something. Seat have this Cupra bump in the road as the Seat brand is scrapped for Cupra, what will happen to dealers. I could see some that don't get relabelled Cupra will walk on the sales side. The added dimension that Seat owners have on the next model.

31 minutes ago, Tell said:

when the last unit was fitted plus 5 years

With Mib3 and higher this could change depending on users interest at annual online subscription

• Groan 1

20 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

With Mib3 and higher this could change depending on users interest at annual online subscription

Nice to have the reassurance but then mib3 navigation was a backwards step to mib2. Hopefully it might get sorted in mib3. Limited favourite destinations that can be stored. No POI import. I use the old Skoda trick of import destinations in as POIs and then save the POI as a destination in mib2. A bit of work with x,y coordinates and POInspector but once saved they are in. Useful for journeys, stopping off point etc. Google POIs are hit and miss. So you can turn mib2 into an old fashioned GPS system. TSR integrated which its not if using Google. No faffing with cables.

The question with mib4 is how much they will change the navigation import file as they did with previous mibs.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tell said:

with mib4

i don't expect it, newer nowadays means less functionality for extra fee :)

this year abonement i'll pay not for maps, but for remote access to Auxiliary heater

haven't checked price yet

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

i don't expect it, newer nowadays means less functionality for extra fee :)

this year abonement i'll pay not for maps, but for remote access to Auxiliary heater

haven't checked price yet

In your part of the world you get auxiliary heating. That apparently is left off the Seat app. So where people in East Europe have fitted it themselves on Seats using Vag parts they can't access it remotely. Probably in Seat's Spain it wasn't planned as a remote access option. Where Skoda envy comes in from one Seat poster.

I can see with EVs on a cold day you switch on the AC before going out to the car. People are managing to do that with Seats on hybrids / EVs, that's fitted to remote access. Pre-decing before you get in 👍.

You'll be able to do your bi-annual navigation map upgrade on mib3 until they stop that. Probably doesn't cost them that much money to turn Here Maps data into the mapping upload. They would just be paying Here Maps a license fee as long as its not on a unit basis, it's just their internal / contracted out processing. Reckon they would keep the 5 years on that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When was the last MIB2 Amundsen fitted in production?

Are we now past the 5 year limit that VAG have for map updates, if we are then there will not be any more MIB2 Amundsen map updates?

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

in November 2023. they published "2110", traditionally with half year delay

I'm already running 2110, just wondered if VW have published a newer version without the traditional half year delay?

Reckon it could be how they do maths or shaving a year off...

Signs are so far VW have not put up their navigation releases so far for November 2023 for mib2 standard (that's this one), mib2 high or mib3. So a positive sign they haven't got the mib3 one out yet, may be they have fallen asleep on the job. Mib2 high and Mib3 has been secured by other routes. Direct server. That leaves the VW mib2 standard release for November that hasn't been found. The German community Skoda board aren't saying anything.

On the maths the 5 year rule would put 2025 as the point. 2024 being the last. They might have shaved a year off but where is the mib3 one ?. We believe mib2 high will go on for a couple of more years due to Audi using that on the TT after 2020 for a couple more years.

Could be production issues.

So in summary:

MIB3 and Mib2 high have been located but not indexed onto the VW web page

Mib2 standard hasn't been located or indexed.

Edited by Tell
spelling / cross check
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

OK well I notice the MIB3 and the MIB2 High November 2023 releases are now wrapped in a VW web page but Mib2 standard remain as of April 2023. So a move for the maps found. This suggests a production issue on the mib2 standard or the contract has run out with the TomTom provider. Feels a bit like that. The Mib3 and Mib2 high uses Here Maps cartography.

So in summary:

MIB3 and Mib2 high have been located and indexed onto the VW web page

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/02/2024 at 16:50, Tell said:

OK well I notice the MIB3 and the MIB2 High November 2023 releases are now wrapped in a VW web page but Mib2 standard remain as of April 2023. So a move for the maps found. This suggests a production issue on the mib2 standard or the contract has run out with the TomTom provider. Feels a bit like that. The Mib3 and Mib2 high uses Here Maps cartography.

So in summary:

MIB3 and Mib2 high have been located and indexed onto the VW web page

Interesting find there Tell

I guess between now and May (ish) would be interesting for those of us on MIB2/2.5 Standard systems as that would dictate whether we will receive an update or not. Hopefully VAG have reduced to once a year updates before tailing off completely..... but who knows.

VAG are now struggling somewhat and are not the powerhouse they once were. The move to "electric" and oversaturation of Eastern Market cars in this market space is having a financial impact on a lot of the traditional automotive powerhouses. 

Yes we'll know by the next VW update circa June 2024 whether that is it for map updates on the mib2 standard, if they miss that then I think we can say map updates are over. If one has opted to use the old V12 maps and the TMC UK mod, putting the TMC function as more important than the latest maps then it's immaterial. Least for Skoda and Seat users. TMC fix for VW mib2 standard is less universal. See thread on that for VW users in the UK.

The November 2023 VW update would be the June 2024 Skoda one so those that take the Skoda website ones will be just as disappointed as everyone else was in November come June 🤣. I suspect VW has ended it's contract early. Shaved a year off.

• 2 weeks later...

First post, be gentle please.

Just bought a 73 Kamiq. (upgrade from a 60 reg Roomster so a big change) Have read though numerous posts but am struggling to identify what map version is currently built in. I read about a hidden menu but cannot seem to access it. Also am I right is concluding any decent 64gb SD card will do as there it's only purpose is to transfer files to the head unit via either of the usb C ports in to central tray?

28 minutes ago, Stripeyzebra said:

First post, be gentle please.

Just bought a 73 Kamiq. (upgrade from a 60 reg Roomster so a big change) Have read though numerous posts but am struggling to identify what map version is currently built in. I read about a hidden menu but cannot seem to access it. Also am I right is concluding any decent 64gb SD card will do as there it's only purpose is to transfer files to the head unit via either of the usb C ports in to central tray?

From the 73 plate that is a mib3. You should see usb-C connection and no sign of an SD card slot in the glove box if so its this thread:

I posted up the VW pdf how to file, if you are seeing an SD slot its mib2 as per this you posted on. 

Many thanks Tell. Appreciate your help. As a complete novice with the interface I'm more than a little confused. I figured there is no sd card slot in the glove box so the 2 USB C type in the trinket tray are to be used.  I have download the zipped maps from the Skoda portal to desktop, unzipped them and transferred the files only to a 64GB card. What I feel I should do now is check the current version installed before going to the next step. I'm a little surprised at the size (30GB approx)? Is it the whole of Northern Europe perhaps? I believe the next step is just to plug it in and wait but I'll feel more comfortable if I can compare the currently installed version with what I'm about to throw at it! It may just be that it's up to date and doesn't need changing. Car was first registered 31/10/23 so maybe built July/August  time. Also Just realised I've downloaded Mib2. How do you even know??  Any advice appreciated, going for a lie down now. At least I haven't bricked anything....yet. Will read the thread again.

Yes if it's still under the map connect services which gives you free updates for one years it's over the air in mib3, you don't need to do anything except kick start it. The link I gave you is if you have renewed the contract above the free year. You'll find prices on the Skoda website for that.

Now it's possible that it has not done an over the air 4g update if you have set your privacy at high. This is what some confused Seat people do. They dont want to be tracked, get the privacy at a high level, that cuts of over the air software updates which are also free in that period. (Think the cross bow murderer would still get tracked... so no excuse to go dark).

Assuming you get your privacy set up correctly and aren't off grid to force a map update over the air you select a destination the otherside of Europe, plot a route, start it and it will commence a map update to all zones. The map is fragmented to zones and starts the download off. @MartiniB has mib3 now for the last year or so and can tell you what the latest map is you should have. If you are in a poor 4g area then updates over the air will be problematic that's then you use the link I gave, MartiniB's or if out of contract. Like mib2 they are June / November. It can also be done with the cars Wi-Fi so I understand back to home Wi-Fi.

It could be you have the latest maps or not. MartiniB can tell you that but worth making sure your privacy settings are fine. Not off grid and whether you are in contract. Think you put your ID into the Skoda site and it tells you. All the same across Vag brands.

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, bigade1 said:

At last - they've released the long awaited new version. I expect @MartiniB will post the links soon but in the meantime here's a link for the full Europe 2210 v.19 map. Enjoy! :

https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU-AS_2210_V19.7z

Awesome thanks

• Like 2

I'd given up looking.

I see it's not wrapped in the VW web page yet, so that will be the one that requires a 32gb if you don't hack out stuff. Others to be found...

I'll check the cartography just in case it's switched back to Here Maps. It's possible if they rationised their contracts.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bigade1 said:

I expect @MartiniB will post the links soon

THANKS for info!

my script were on vacation -

previous regularity made me configure run it just in defined months - 04;05;06 and 10;11;12

as result it weren't ready for autumn release delay case :)

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1