Amundsen Mib2 Map Updates 2024

The internal file is dated 12/05/23 so it was zipped then and laying about. 🤔... until someone put it up on their servers. We might have it in the car soon....

There we go showing the Seat part number. Still on Tom Tom cartography so no TMC. Still need the old map workaround which is still gloriously working.

20240322_170530.thumb.jpg.8c44cdb9e7564830f747af519e0cc0c8.jpg

Edited by Tell

17 hours ago, Tell said:

There we go showing the Seat part number. Still on Tom Tom cartography so no TMC. Still need the old map workaround which is still gloriously working.

Do you have link to workaround for TMC ?

5 minutes ago, sp00ky said:

Do you have link to workaround for TMC ?

Give you the documented one I pulled together from the thread here. Bigade1 and PCBBC work with thanks.

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/updating-the-inbuilt-mib2-satnav-mib2-tricks-and-mib1.388586/page-136#post-5037297

You don't need the steps 1-12 with the overall.nds file in that. That's only for Seats, you got mapcare on Skoda for life. No coding is required thanks to Pcbbc's module copy. Use option b of the text above.

Discussion thread is here but gets punctuated with comments and discussion so I pulled it out as above for Seat users:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tell said:

Give you the documented one I pulled together from the thread here. Bigade1 and PCBBC work with thanks.

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/updating-the-inbuilt-mib2-satnav-mib2-tricks-and-mib1.388586/page-136#post-5037297

You don't need the steps 1-12 with the overall.nds file in that. That's only for Seats, you got mapcare on Skoda for life. No coding is required thanks to Pcbbc's module copy. Use option b of the text above.

Discussion thread is here but gets punctuated with comments and discussion so I pulled it out as above for Seat users:

Thank you, but I see now this only works across Mib2 standard units excluding Delphi (and I have Delphi) 

8 minutes ago, sp00ky said:

Thank you, but I see now this only works across Mib2 standard units excluding Delphi (and I have Delphi) 

It does say Technisat mib2 standard and how to test on that link.  @bigade1 was the mib2 standard technisat champion in the UK to get it working following Ozzie methods to get it to work on Australian TMC, then used those method on Inrix (as I understand it). Via the mib2 standard toolkit. That washes the changes out which @pcbbc took those files and made it modular so you didn't have to use the toolkit. That was ticked off.

Mib2 high @pcbbc sorted that out with a TMC group coding change. That leaves mib2 standard Delphi where a champion hasn't stepped forward. You'd probably have to go back to researching what they did in Australia to change provider but perhaps it's a difficult nut to crack. You'd see from a Google and some reading.

Probably need to work backwards from this

https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f78/additional-tmc-provider-mib2-discover-pro-units-heretraffic-134851-5.html

Wegas 8/8... Pcbbc is the expert at decrypting those... That's what he did with what came out the mib2 standard toolbox. Public domain code mentioned on the Briskoda by pcbbc thread that decrypts that stuff, probably encrypts it as well. You have to take on the role of Bigade1 with your Delphi 🤔. Pcbbc is a programer... Probably insulted him now 😂. All of that can only be done with V12 maps, not beyond like the mib2 standard Techinsat solution I guess (Here Maps came fully loaded with the hooks in it for different providers whilst TomTom cartography after v12 didn't). Pcbbc has also done one for the French service where he worked with another guy on the thread, where that went similar and vanished to one provider not on the VAG TMC group list. Fun.

Mib1 you just do the code change 15 to 14. By mib3 they dropped TMC from the cars. All online now.

I've just loaded installed  STD2_2110_EU1_202345 into my 2015 Octavia Scout - it seems to work OK, but many of the village names are still disappearing  - is this a problem others are having,

The last time I updated was in 2020, and I had the same problem to reverted to the 2017 maps which worked.

Any help would be appreciated?

24 minutes ago, SteveMeth said:

I've just loaded installed  STD2_2110_EU1_202345 into my 2015 Octavia Scout - it seems to work OK, but many of the village names are still disappearing  - is this a problem others are having,

The last time I updated was in 2020, and I had the same problem to reverted to the 2017 maps which worked.

Any help would be appreciated?

I have come across people moaning about location names on the maps. It remained unresolved. I put them onto the TomTom reporting site and they didn't resolve anything. Reckon the TomTom map screens can change names of roads but not district names if you see what I mean. So they drew a blank.

You register for an account, but as I said the validation team get stuck with that type of thing. It's called TomTom Mapshare for feedback.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/new/mapshare/&ved=2ahUKEwj_8YGWjpiFAxXnQEEAHe45AvoQFnoECAcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0qu-5giOB7e63In0V6ug7e

Suspect 2017 maps are Here Maps origin and these are definitely TomTom, so it's the cartography and how it's set up.

Probably. Mib2 standard isn't such a good implementation on mib2 high. It will be how they took the TomTom cartography and turned it into the Vag mib2 standard which is the one we are talking about.

Revert to v12 and have TMC on Here map.

I was going to suggest you look at Amigo which uses TomTom cartography. That has village names in it round here so I reckon they just didn't use all the data. Cross check with Amigo. The equivalent Here maps one is Herewego. Those are online renderings of the cartography of the two. They are useful resources for bang up today look at their databases.

Thanks

All I was really asking was - is there any way I can get my Amundsen satnav to display village names on the latest maps by some sort of software upgrade - knowing the way Skoda operate - I suspect the answer is no? 

1 minute ago, MartiniB said:

don't think this will solve particular problem, but here are newer maps

-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/522199-amundsen-mib2-map-updates-20242025/

I'd assumed he'd used them. It will be the cartography differences and how it setup between the old Here Maps and the new TomTom ones after V12 unless it's been fixed. As said it has come up before.

I did have a quick check on the latest maps v v12 maps today. I could see a difference on the villages I was looking it. There are some bizarre things you see as you soon in and out you see province names that you aren't familiar with but I did spot the villages.

If its still on the latest map then it will be the cartography and as I said a poster got nowhere taking it up with TomTom via Mapshare reporting website. As I said the validation team wherever they are based, didn't seem to have the capability of naming villages. Only streets errors not missing province names. It could be as I hinted at these are not passed into the mib2 standard maps. You have a GIS database and support files being mapped into the mib2 standard form if they mess up not taking attributes then you won't get them.

I did do GIS a few years back... in its infancy hence a hobby now 😉. Planning was my background and to use GIS in it, GIS and navigation are related..... It seems on mib3 a number of newbie errors were made on taking the Here Maps data and getting it into mib3. The programmers on that did not understand the relationship of postcodes to roads using the centroids instead, you dont (That's fixed now, sent people off road 😂). There seems to be an on going issue of defining road speeds again geographical zone rather than road. So they proxy that onto the roads that it's not meant for. Basically rubbish programming from staff that don't understand GIS attributes and know how to use the attribute files which will be in the systems of the cartography companies. They get a file dump and have to use it. If you don't know what is in the dump then you miss use it. Audit comes in 🤔. That which isn't being done very well so it seems from reports. They did fix the off road navigation issue but not the speed issue where the brakes get applied for those that like ACC... 🤔

Answer that question no if villages names are missed out you can't put them in yourself.

22 hours ago, Tell said:

I'd assumed he'd used them. It will be the cartography differences and how it setup between the old Here Maps and the new TomTom ones after V12 unless it's been fixed. As said it has come up before.

I did have a quick check on the latest maps v v12 maps today. I could see a difference on the villages I was looking it. There are some bizarre things you see as you soon in and out you see province names that you aren't familiar with but I did spot the villages.

If its still on the latest map then it will be the cartography and as I said a poster got nowhere taking it up with TomTom via Mapshare reporting website. As I said the validation team wherever they are based, didn't seem to have the capability of naming villages. Only streets errors not missing province names. It could be as I hinted at these are not passed into the mib2 standard maps. You have a GIS database and support files being mapped into the mib2 standard form if they mess up not taking attributes then you won't get them.

I did do GIS a few years back... in its infancy hence a hobby now 😉. Planning was my background and to use GIS in it, GIS and navigation are related..... It seems on mib3 a number of newbie errors were made on taking the Here Maps data and getting it into mib3. The programmers on that did not understand the relationship of postcodes to roads using the centroids instead, you dont (That's fixed now, sent people off road 😂). There seems to be an on going issue of defining road speeds again geographical zone rather than road. So they proxy that onto the roads that it's not meant for. Basically rubbish programming from staff that don't understand GIS attributes and know how to use the attribute files which will be in the systems of the cartography companies. They get a file dump and have to use it. If you don't know what is in the dump then you miss use it. Audit comes in 🤔. That which isn't being done very well so it seems from reports. They did fix the off road navigation issue but not the speed issue where the brakes get applied for those that like ACC... 🤔

Answer that question no if villages names are missed out you can't put them in yourself.

It seems that there are two options:

-  Use updated maps, with new roads, and hopefully correct speed limits - but no village names, or

-  Use the old 2017 map with village names, but no new roads and wrong speed limits

I'm going to give the first option a go - but it would be nice to know where I am 😉

What does everyone else do?

52 minutes ago, SteveMeth said:

It seems that there are two options:

-  Use updated maps, with new roads, and hopefully correct speed limits - but no village names, or

-  Use the old 2017 map with village names, but no new roads and wrong speed limits

I'm going to give the first option a go - but it would be nice to know where I am 😉

What does everyone else do?

Only really one other person has reported this and that is here:

That's where they drew a blank with progressing it.

I am still unsure if other people are having this issue, can people see Blidworth, Notts named on their maps - the village is there?

Is there any benefit in updating the MiB2 firmware - I tend to leave things alone if there are no obvious issues?

I can see the village named on my maps - Ver. 5L00051236DH - ECE AS 2024; - it is there.

Edited by Warrior193
added information
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

I can see the village named on my maps - Ver. 5L00051236DH - ECE AS 2024; - it is there.

Is that version 2210, v19?. I didn't see a difference myself when I checked between v19 (TomTom) and v12 (Here Maps). The level of zoom will reveal more and less details so may drop the main name for the area and go into village names.

Thanks for your help

The map version number looks different to what I have, which I assume is ECE 1 2024:

image.png.8c01b06708b2ed8dbf991884f79b1a2f.png

I downloaded this from:

image.png.d5157c7365680b1e68e4f160f382a398.png

And this is the mapping I am getting, as you can see, a name for Ravenshead, but  no village names for the two villages on the right (Blidworth and Rainworth), the villages are not labelled at any level of zoom

image.thumb.png.14846b45c1d14af0e93856e2ff2f523a.png

Is  ECE AS 2024 something different?

I thinks it's because the those villages aren't marked up as POIs. In TomTom Mapshare you find Ravenshead but not the villages so I'd say it's driven by that. Reckon it's needs a POI name and the City as the big city it is associated with. I was trying out some villages around Milton Keynes, and they are put as the City of Milton Keynes although not in it, but the POI name is the village and the postal address is MK. Everything else has to be blank. Trying out my local village which isn't in MK that is how it works.  Users of TomTom may have submitted them in the past or it was some POI file they got their hands on which was incomplete.

On the postal address

It goes

STREET

VILLAGE

CITY

VILLAGE is the POI name

CITY is the city name in the TomTom system.

If you put those in, in Mapshare, check they get accepted and wait for the files to be processed, about a year, you'd get them. Feel free to check out the rest. It's the same issue that came up before. Think we have got down to the bottom of it, this.

image.thumb.png.a97cd4797b2ba873c6eef66af7b071a2.png

I will have a look at tomtom for interest, however the real reason I wanted village names is for when we are going on long trips - so not much use if I have know where I am going and have to add the names a year in advance😀

However that does not explain why Warrior193 is able to see them on Ver. 5L00051236DH - ECE AS 2024, which I think is the all Europe map:

• Does that ECE AS 2024 map contain more detailed information than ECE 1 2024 (I would give it a try but I only have a 16GB SD card)?
  • Does the MiB2 in use have a different firmware version?

Thanks

Steve

It shouldn't...

if you use Android, this is a good app for generating the DMS that go into the coordinate system of the car:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sands.mapCoordinates.android&hl=en&gl=US

I swear by it. It does give you a streetview as well if you cokes it out of it. Save favourites, linked to Google Maps and Open Street. Basically I find out where walks etc start from the guide books, find them on the overview map, toggle between Google Maps and OpenStreet, get the best of both worlds. Save as a favourite then just dial it into the car. You select the DMS display in the app and new destination in the car, on screen or something and dial it in.

People would say use Google Maps in the car but then they are not good at finding car parks for hiking walks etc. Google Maps tends to be commercial, not for outdoor activities. Openstreet tends to be the crowdsourced outdoor activity map.  The streetview part of it is being withdrawn by Google, but I've just ported it to a new tablet. You select Free, always or something, then you can walk the map as a streetview. This is where you can find hotel car park entrances exact, whilst Goggle Map POIs can be just be plonked close by. Postcodes are ofcourse the postmans walk so that is the street or business address.  I have used it for planning holidays in Japan, although they have a similar app that generate their own coordinates that I've also used. You dial those in as well.

An idea for you.

On your image. The actual serial map release is 2110 as MartiniB pointed out there is a newer one now. The code above that V... is the part number for the brand. It's all the same release for 2110, just when put it in the unit it will show the brand part number. Skoda, Seat, VW - that's that line. Traditionally we would define the map by that ECE code but a few years back they slipped a year or six months variation so the mib2 standard and mib2 high ones didn't tally. The ECEX, X being 1 in that map dates back to when they split out the maps by zone so they fitted a 16gb card. You can buy the 32gb to get all of Europe on.

Hand in hand with that map release is the V version code not shown but printed on the original card / box. 2110 is version 18. The main quotes for mib2 standard which is the 4 character code and the version code. Eyeballing the 2210 means it's not the most recent. Some people prefer to talk V codes rather than the seriel release xxxx.

Those village names appear to be driven by those POIs which give the location although the company that generates the files for Vag may be using a different file outside of TomTom for that.

image.png.8c01b06708b2ed8dbf991884f79b1a2f.png.cb02ba7f382183cd396325518f8f24e7.png

I've loaded the updated version - as expected this has not solved the problem; I still cannot see village names.

image.png.6174f8640e8fc7f5d14715e7964860cd.png

I am still trying to figure out why Warrior193 is able to see the 'Blidworth' village name on  Ver. 5L00051236DH - ECE AS 2024, which I think is the all Europe map:

• Does that ECE AS 2024 map contain more information labelled in a different way to ECE 1 2024 (I would give it a try but I only have a 16GB SD card) - is it worth me trying that card??
  • Could it be that the MiB2 firmware I have in use is the problem, and an upgrade will sort the issue?

Can most people see village names - is it just me with the problem?