Timing belt shenanigans

Just a wee enquiry for my Skoda brothers. I own a 2019 superb sel executive 2.0 diesel manual. From looking at the service intervals it is suggested I change the timing belt at 50k, this seems outrageous given any other diesel I have owned is 100k . What are folks thoughts on this, anyone roll the dice and push on to 70 or 80? Cheers

Where are you finding these intervals that say 50k?

there has been a recent change to timing belt intervals to bring us in line with the continents intervals. But even so, before or after the change it was never 50K

• Like 1

The UK update (issued about 3rd July) changed timing belt (cambelt) interval to 210,000km (130,000 miles), consistent with most of Europe.

However it is now supposed to be checked at major services (ie every 18k miles or 2 years) for wear, and if showing signs of wear an appropriate advisory given.

There is no set time interval, although suggestions of 10-15 years seem to be doing the rounds, so I would suggest budgeting for it after sometime after 9th year

• Like 2

I went into my Skoda Dealer a week or so ago and asked the same question.  I have a 2016 model Mk3 Superb, diesel, 2 litre DSG. The guy said that only that morning they had received notification from Skoda saying that they have changed the intervals on timing belt replacements to 140,000 miles.  I can't recall the time intervals as I do a high mileage and the miles will come around before the date.  I last had them change my cambelt & water pump at 110,000 miles and will do again when I reach around 220,000 miles.  

• Like 2

Anyway, coolant pump may get stuck waaayyyyy before suggested mileage for timing belt, leading to timing Belt replacement much earlier than Skoda recommendation.

This happened to me at 65000km… 🙄

• Like 2

People seem to keep talking about TSI,s & TDI,s as though the Advice, Recommendation or even specification and schedules are the same.

Be sure the Current / Recent stuff from VW Group refers to the engine you have and not some others.

513308123_Screenshot2023-07-0613_11_31.png.bd080ad437b2865dfa3cdddacdc0e74c.png

8 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Anyway, coolant pump may get stuck waaayyyyy before suggested mileage for timing belt, leading to timing Belt replacement much earlier than Skoda recommendation.

This happened to me at 65000km… 🙄

Yep same here on cars 4th birthday 110k on the clock so not bad on mileage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/07/2023 at 21:45, Sheriff said:

Yep same here on cars 4th birthday 110k on the clock so not bad on mileage.

Assume this was a similar issue to the Octavia 2L TDi where the water pump sticks closed due to different expansion rates to between the metal sleave & plastic parts?

My Octavia is at ~210k km & I'm assuming the "original" timing belt.

My dealer recommended to change it at the last service but I rejected as I said I'd had the water pump changes around 120k km as a "warranty repair" & they would have changed the timing belt at the same time.

However, the dealer couldnt find any reference to the change in the system.

I'll probably get in done in the new year during the service. should be around 230k & 10 years young by then.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gabbo said:

Assume this was a similar issue to the Octavia 2L TDi where the water pump sticks closed due to different expansion rates to between the metal sleave & plastic parts?

My Octavia is at ~210k km & I'm assuming the "original" timing belt.

My dealer recommended to change it at the last service but I rejected as I said I'd had the water pump changes around 120k km as a "warranty repair" & they would have changed the timing belt at the same time.

However, the dealer couldnt find any reference to the change in the system.

I'll probably get in done in the new year during the service. should be around 230k & 10 years young by then.

I can't remember the exact cause but basically the pump was knackered inside and allowing water to escape but not externally if that makes sense. Water level dropped without any loss under the car. New pump sorted it although the replacement one had some sticking issues a few months ago but seems to have righted itself!!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sheriff said:

I can't remember the exact cause but basically the pump was knackered inside and allowing water to escape but not externally if that makes sense. Water level dropped without any loss under the car. New pump sorted it although the replacement one had some sticking issues a few months ago but seems to have righted itself!!

If the water isn’t escaping outside the engine then it’s still in the engine and your level won’t be changing?

T

Todays mechanic's Bravo Sugar offering:

2 hours ago, Sheriff said:

basically the pump was knackered inside and allowing water to escape but not externally if that makes sense.

Hi all 

I was wondering about my cam belt as my 2.0 diesel Karoq is 6 years old and has 46000 on clock 

I went on a Skoda web site and talked to a computerised person and gave them my vehicles details

And asked them what the cost will be if Skoda done the job they asked where I would like the job to be done 

I said my local dealership ... Well I got a E-mail from my local dealer  who said that the cambelt was good for 140000 miles 

I've got a mechanic looking into this .. I've kept the E-mail as proof as to what the dealership said in case my belts goes before hand 

... Gary 

12 hours ago, ApertureS said:

If the water isn’t escaping outside the engine then it’s still in the engine and your level won’t be changing?

There was no trace of a leak on the ground just the level dropping with the expansion tank going from full to empty in less than 10 miles. New pump sorted it.

11 hours ago, J.R. said:

T

Todays mechanic's Bravo Sugar offering:

Not sure what you mean by that? That was my none mechanic description.

19 hours ago, Gary1320 said:

I said my local dealership ... Well I got a E-mail from my local dealer  who said that the cambelt was good for 140000 miles 

I've got a mechanic looking into this .. I've kept the E-mail as proof as to what the dealership said in case my belts goes before hand 

Unfortunately, that email won’t give you an form of warranty if the belt fails.  

On the Octavia (and I'd guess the Superb as well ?) there is an electronically controller sleave on the water pump.

When the engine is cold, the sleave is closed & the water pump circuits water round the internal engine circuit only (for faster warm-up).

As the engine coolant temperature increases, the sleave should be opened slowly to blend the cold coolant in the reservoir & radiator with the hot engine coolant (better for emissions & prevents that drop of temperature when the wax thermostats pop open)

On the Octavia, the sleave would get "stuck" for a short time because of different expansion rates of metal & plastic causing a coolant temperature warning.

As the temperature of the components equalised it would pop open & everything would return to normal.

However, Skoda were offering the change under warrenty & or with a good-will contribution of 50-60% for people out of warrenty.

They replaced it with a new part with the same materials to prevent the expansion problem.

9 hours ago, Sheriff said:

There was no trace of a leak on the ground just the level dropping with the expansion tank going from full to empty in less than 10 miles. New pump sorted it.

I had the same on my previous Superb, the expansion tank was empty with no sign of any leakage on the floor, it was collecting it in the undertray. Doubtless if an excessive amount had leaked out the undertray would have overflowed but no signs of a leak otherwise.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

found this thread after talking with my local dealer. 

280 2018 4x4 estate

Post recent service, the desk staff, ooh your timing chain will be needed next. Fast forward a month or so, with mileage / timing nearer the 50k or 5 years (car is on 33k miles now but at 5 years old). Rang up today and they quoted what is mentioned above re the change. 

• Petrol not needed until well over 100k.  Then only timing chain needed, water pump not generally needed
  • Feels like a quite a shift.  Asked for prices anyway if I prefer to get done.  575 for timing chain only, nearly 800 with waterpump.
  • if a failure does happen in the meantime, they clarified to say as timing chain is a wear and tear item, then warranty would not cover!

Whats the consensus re getting done or not? Esp for 280 petrols?

1 hour ago, fraz8888 said:

found this thread after talking with my local dealer. 

280 2018 4x4 estate

Post recent service, the desk staff, ooh your timing chain will be needed next. Fast forward a month or so, with mileage / timing nearer the 50k or 5 years (car is on 33k miles now but at 5 years old). Rang up today and they quoted what is mentioned above re the change. 

• Petrol not needed until well over 100k.  Then only timing chain needed, water pump not generally needed
  • Feels like a quite a shift.  Asked for prices anyway if I prefer to get done.  575 for timing chain only, nearly 800 with waterpump.
  • if a failure does happen in the meantime, they clarified to say as timing chain is a wear and tear item, then warranty would not cover!

Whats the consensus re getting done or not? Esp for 280 petrols?

My 280 tsi has now done 96,000 miles, I don't have any intention to do anything to the cam chain until it starts to get a bit noisy, which so far it hasn't.