Starting to really dislike my Superb - Blower, Clean Air sensor, Missing Databus etc etc - Good NW/Stockport/Manc person required

Hi all,

A bit of a ramble here. Bought a 2017 Superb Estate 190 diesel about a year ago and 2 weeks out of warranty all hell is breaking loose. I had a high pressure sensor done under warranty as it couldn't be regassed and all was well. Then the blower started staying on after ignition was off. Then all the cooling/heating stsyem just stopped working. No blower at all.  Tried a mechanic who couldn't figure as a multitute of codes popped up. Then Skoda, also no clue.

I bought an OBDeleven (I know, I know) and started looking for info on here based on the reads but there's a number of similar issues all with no solution.

The reader did say that the Clean air sensor was faulty so I bought a cheap one which caused even more havoc (29 new faults) so that's now off and the old one is back on.

Problem is I'm getting the impression that the car really princessy  and sensitive when it comes to slight voltage changes. I installed a dashcam on perm live and if I don't drive it for two days all sorts of warning lights pop up. Unplugged it and reconected to Ignition on and it's fine. Same issue with a tracker I installed. Unplug them both and I'm back to the issues below.

So I'm still at square 1. I now have 4 faults showing as follows:

-  02 Transmission - P173400 - Starter release from the selector lever sensor system - Intermittent

- 08 Airconditioning - U103000 - Local data bus Electrical error - Static

-  17 Dashboard - U112100 - Databus missing message - Static

- 19 Gateway - U100300 - Towing recognition control module No Communication - Intermittent

The last one I think is sortable as a Witter towbar I had fitted kept having module faults and the installer just sorts it when it happens.

I also realise that there is a common fault with the blower fan, of which there are numerous examples on here so I could be on a wild goosechase.

I'm no expert and don't want to mess with anything I shouldn't but every place I take the car seems to have no idea. I could really do with a recommendation for someone good in the NW. I'm in South Manchester/Stockport border.

Any thoughts on any of the above, or a recommendaion, are really welcome. I know some of the above issues will ring a bell or two with a few users.

Cheers all

T

Your gateway code is related to the tow bar module, it is looking for it but can’t find it? Did you have a smart tow bar module fitted or a universal one?

your instrument cluster code we can’t help with, you’d need to read it with odis or vcds which will supply more details and tell us what message is actually missing and whether it’s a send or receive issue.

The air conditioning system fault is on the LIN bus network by the looks of things which is a big network running the fan, all flaps, pressure sensor, quality sensor, light sensor. If there is a fault on here, that’s going to be fun to locate!

and the gearbox code I’ve not come across before sorry but is it a 7spd gearbox or 6spd?

Thanks ApertureS, much appreciated.

With regards to the towbar module, I can' t say which it is. I can say that it's been back four times as it kept having an issue. The installer claimed it was a Witter issue and they just kept doing something and it was fine agin for a while. I'll contact them and they can sort. It cost enough to have it fitted.

I'll get a VCDS read done on the car this coming week and will see what it comes up with re the instrument cluster.

The car was recently in for a replacement of a high pressure sensor. I went for a re-gas which failed and was referred from the well known chain to a garage local to them for a diagnostic. The said it was the High Pressure sensor. It was apparently replaced before being re-gassed. Could this maybe have caused it?  I hear you when you say it's going to be fumn tocate. Interestingly, I've ead several posts on here, where the same thing has happened; fan on without switches on, not turning off and then blower not working. None have an an answer against them though. Weirdly, I was in the car yesterday and everything suddenly started working perfectly for all of ten minutes before it failed again.

No idea re the gearbox. How do I find out? That had a DSG gearbox oil replacement recently at main dealer and was hoping it would be on the receipt. It isn't.

Ha, thanks. I'd figured that. It's an automatic DSG box and I've not noticed it going beyond 6. I just didn't want to answer without being 100%. Accuracy is everything.

On 27/08/2023 at 17:50, IndeedFox said:

Ha, thanks. I'd figured that. It's an automatic DSG box and I've not noticed it going beyond 6. I just didn't want to answer without being 100%. Accuracy is everything.

I'm sure that bove 50/60 it'd drop to 7th, so it'll be a 6 speed.

A couple of suggestions to try before chasing possible ghosts in the various CAN, LIN & other buses:

• If you have not done it recently, (last 4 years, or possibly less if car has start/stop), get and replace it with a new good quality battery (AGM needed for start/stop) - I've had similar problems in the past which were cleared up with a new battery.
  • Also, maybe fully disconnect the dash cam and tow bar modifications, temporarily to aid diagnosing your fault

• On top of the 2 suggestions above. I'd invest in a HEX -V2 or-NET device and get associated VCDS installed - super useful for diagnosing issues and all sorts of other tweaks become possible.

Good luck and let us know how you get on please 🙂

• Like 1

On 27/08/2023 at 17:15, IndeedFox said:

Weirdly, I was in the car yesterday and everything suddenly started working perfectly for all of ten minutes before it failed again.

This is likely something breaking down as it gets hot so most likely a sensor.

12 hours ago, mdpslm said:

A couple of suggestions to try before chasing possible ghosts in the various CAN, LIN & other buses:

• If you have not done it recently, (last 4 years, or possibly less if car has start/stop), get and replace it with a new good quality battery (AGM needed for start/stop) - I've had similar problems in the past which were cleared up with a new battery.
  • Also, maybe fully disconnect the dash cam and tow bar modifications, temporarily to aid diagnosing your fault

• On top of the 2 suggestions above. I'd invest in a HEX -V2 or-NET device and get associated VCDS installed - super useful for diagnosing issues and all sorts of other tweaks become possible.

Good luck and let us know how you get on please 🙂

Thanks mdpslm, The battery is relatively new (about 6 months) and was coded in properly.  I've been away for a few days but the disconnect of the dash cam and tracker are the next step for sure. Same with the tow bar. All are currently piggy backed into the fuse box.

I have noticed that if I don't drive it for a few days the voltage drop caused by the dashcam causes havoc in terms of ghost warnings. It regularly tells me tat the keyless isn't working when it clearly is.

Interestingly, I can find several Octavia and Golf posts where people are having an identical fault. Blower suddenly coming on and having to pull the 30amp fuse to stop it, no heating or ait con etc. Not one has a solution though.

I'll do the basic first and will get a proper read on it before I do anything else. I'm leaning towards buying a Ross-Hex setup for future understanding of what's going on.

I'll post any updates

• Like 1

11 hours ago, petrolcan said:

This is likely something breaking down as it gets hot so most likely a sensor.

Maybe. Although it was a one off occurance and I'd been driving for an hour before it suddenly came on. As soon as I pulled up, amd turned the engine off, it went again.

I've been quiet on this. Just as an update, I've ordered a new OEM Air Quality sensor anyway and will se if that helps thimgs. I'll update when it's been installed.

I'm also going to remove and lubricate the blower fan. I can see, when I remove the filter above it, that trhere is corrosion on the top. Apparently this is a commoin issue that can be easily rectified. I'm going to start a new thread as I can't get the unit out. I'll close this one off for the original issue once solved.

Cheers all

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 11:50, IndeedFox said:

He estado callado sobre esto. Solo como actualización, de todos modos pedí un nuevo sensor de calidad del aire OEM y veré si eso ayuda. Lo actualizaré cuando esté instalado.

También voy a quitar y lubricar el ventilador. Puedo ver, cuando quito el filtro que está encima, que hay corrosión en la parte superior. Aparentemente se trata de un problema común que puede solucionarse fácilmente. Voy a abrir un hilo nuevo porque no puedo sacar el equipo. Cerraré este por el problema original una vez resuelto.

Saludos a todos

I don't know the price of Skoda. but in AE it is for 9 euros put at home. Changing it is super easy. It works and the error goes away.

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4001144124514.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.81.2c5a194dVTmYB9&gatewayAdapt=glo2esp

48 minutes ago, Gabrielem said:

I don't know the price of Skoda. but in AE it is for 9 euros put at home. Changing it is super easy. It works and the error goes away.

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4001144124514.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.81.2c5a194dVTmYB9&gatewayAdapt=glo2esp

The AliExpress ones are terrible and often cause more problems with the LINbus network.

a new genuine one can be had for around £75 so I’d recommend that.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 11:32, ApertureS said:

Los de AliExpress son terribles y suelen causar más problemas con la red LINbus.

Se puede conseguir uno nuevo genuino por alrededor de £ 75, así que lo recomiendo.

If you say so...

On 10/09/2023 at 19:32, ApertureS said:

The AliExpress ones are terrible and often cause more problems with the LINbus network.

a new genuine one can be had for around £75 so I’d recommend that.

I ordered a genuine AQS recently, 5Q0907643F, from ECS Tuning.

Waiting for it to arrive.

I currently have 5Q0907643D, from factory.

My AirCare doesn't work, and occasionally I'll get an AQS error in Module 08, but no side effects.

Am hoping this version will stop the errors and AirCare will b good.

I too have read on various other forums of people buying the cheap AliExpress version, and then running into worse problems, and removing them in the end.

My original AQS.....

708472716_PXL_20230809_0858038352.thumb.jpg.945a748a3cc4b9e4ceed1a889baebc2e.jpg

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm just updating here as it's been so long.

So. With a new genuine sensor, nothing has changed. 

I'm still getting the really weird things where the blower just comes n for no reason and stays on after the engine is switched off.  I still have to pull the 30amp fuse to get it to stop. I've become quite good at doing it quickly.  Interestingly, when I turn the engine back on, it stops for a split second then starts again.

This is with the tracker and the dashcam completely disconnected.

I give up!!!

Thanks to everyone who contributed. It's genuinely appreciated.

I'm going to starts a fresh post about dropping the fan unit as I can see it needs some TLC

Did you get round to cleaning up the blower? Corrosion in its connector could affect the LIN bus causing the Airconditioning DTC and the blower malfunctions.