engine light

You will not know until the fault codes are read. & the bonnet is up and someone that has an idea casts an eye over it.

It can be about emissions and it could have been the fuel, it could actually have been misfires, so plugs / ignition coils.

So did the light just come on out of the blue, all normal normally. serviced and not sitting idling for ages.

How many miles has it done and when were the spark plugs changed and is it E10 or E 5 petrol you run?

It could be nothing much, but you need fault codes read and also give people a clue if asking 'how long is a piece of string?

Edited by toot

1 hour ago, mark674500 said:

been sitting with ignition on for lunch beforehand.

This can sometimes throw up random faults due to low battery voltage - but get the fault codes read.

Did the indicator light extinguish after you opened and closed the hood?

If fault is still present, indication will come back after a certain distance being run. 

5 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

This can sometimes throw up random faults due to low battery voltage - but get the fault codes read.

Did the indicator light extinguish after you opened and closed the hood?

If fault is still present, indication will come back after a certain distance being run. 

I'll give that try when back to the car (bonnet), thank you

• 3 months later...

Has this been sorted now?

My 1.5TSI did the same yesterday driving down the M6.

Light came on, no loss of power. Nothing in the vehicle status or the "inspection report" on the APP.

19 hours ago, Q102 said:

Has this been sorted now?

My 1.5TSI did the same yesterday driving down the M6.

Light came on, no loss of power. Nothing in the vehicle status or the "inspection report" on the APP.

It could be one of a million things, the only way to find out is to get it plugged in to a diagnostics computer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/01/2024 at 10:19, ApertureS said:

It could be one of a million things, the only way to find out is to get it plugged in to a diagnostics computer.

I'm getting the breakdown service put to have a look, if it can't be reset I'll get it in the dealer.

17 hours ago, Q102 said:

I'm getting the breakdown service put to have a look, if it can't be reset I'll get it in the dealer.

You may need to get the codes reset, then see which one it is with the light comes back on, if there is more than one error

• 4 weeks later...

My engine light came on the other day.  Car is 2020 Kodiaq L&K 2.0 tdi. All codes and fuses checked. Clean fuel. No water contamination that I know of.  Fully serviced.  Been told it could be the signal wire from AdBlu pump???  AdBlu topped up a few days before with 'old' fluid. I bought 25l and decanted it into 5 x 5 spotlessly clean containers. Does it degrade with age?  If so, can I drain it out?

6 hours ago, emberto1946 said:

My engine light came on the other day.  Car is 2020 Kodiaq L&K 2.0 tdi. All codes and fuses checked. Clean fuel. No water contamination that I know of.  Fully serviced.  Been told it could be the signal wire from AdBlu pump???  AdBlu topped up a few days before with 'old' fluid. I bought 25l and decanted it into 5 x 5 spotlessly clean containers. Does it degrade with age?  If so, can I drain it out?

Before jumping the gun, you need to find out why the EML is on specifically and not a one of a million options guess :) 

There is no drain on the adblue tank but it can be electronically pumped out, also adblue has a shelf life of between 6-24 months depending on storage temperature.

Other than what I have already tried would you suggest I do?  The point of my question was how do I find out why the light is on? I am stuck as to what to try next?

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, emberto1946 said:

Other than what I have already tried would you suggest I do?  The point of my question was how do I find out why the light is on? I am stuck as to what to try next?

You need a diagnostic done, and may need to get codes reset to see which come back

Do what practically every respondent to this thread including ApertureS have stated.

• Like 1

Find someone local to you with VCDS, a diagnostic system used by many amateurs and some professionals.  

Edited by Breezy_Pete
Removed reference to London based help, getting mixed up between you and the OP.

Codes checked and reset professionally on almost brand new Snap-On scanner.  Error came back the next time I started the engine.

25 years in Engineering/Motor Trade here, not some modern day dumb f**k "fit a new one!" technician!

Genuinely seeking help not a slap on the wrist!

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, emberto1946 said:

Codes checked and reset professionally on almost brand new Snap-On scanner.  Error came back the next time I started the engine.

25 years in Engineering/Motor Trade here, not some modern day dumb f**k "fit a new one!" technician!

‘Reset professionally’? Opposed to?

’codes checked’? What were the codes before clearing? What codes returned?

if you were 25 years in the motor trade then surely you’d know that to start an accurate diagnosis you need all the data present - including fault codes. No one is suggesting fitting a new anything? In fact we are doing the opposite and trying to help.

No one is slapping anyone’s wrist either but consider this to be my last bit of advice with your approach to getting help.

Edited by ApertureS
  • Like 2

Accepted

• Groan 2

The point being “ codes checked and reset” should be “ codes checked and recorded/ noted down then reset”.    What code numbers were recorded?

Or,  “ error came back the next time” - but what error code came back?      

You were asking earlier what made the light come on -  the error codes will help in pinpointing why. 
No one can help by guessing.

On a wind up I think, last visited October 2017 with similar results :

"Why are people so hasty to criticise? Don't often visit the site and remember why now."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2