Can't find factory OEM tires?

Where do you find information about the tires that came with the car from the factory? I can't find any info on 7zap or any parts catalogue for my SEAT ibiza 6L (or skoda/VW for that matter)

I'm thinking of purchasing a new pair of tires and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to buy the tires that came with the car form the factory, they're often recommended by the carmaker as they've been validated and tested in terms of handling, fuel economy, rolling resistance and other stuff that is essential for the car.

Any ideas?

7 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Maybe say which wheel size you have and what trim / engine your car has and someone can tell you the tyres size and load rating for your car.

You will get tyres 19 years on that are perfect for your needs and the cars. 

It's a 2004 MK3 Seat ibiza (6L) with a 1,4 petrol engine producing 75HP (engine code BBY) and a five speed manual gear box.  The original alloys supplied with the car are 15 inches with the following specs "6J x 15 H2 ET43 5/100" and the alloys have the part number 6L0601025G. The tires fitted to it currently are Pirelli P1 Cinturato (195/55 R15 85V), the tires are OK but they were quite worn when I bought the car so I'm wondering if there are better alternative in terms of noise, rolling resistance etc...

Suggestions?

40 minutes ago, Carproblems said:

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to buy the tires that came with the car form the factory

Never a good idea to spend good money on bald tyres that were removed close to 20 years ago assuming that you could find them and that they havn't been recycled.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Never a good idea to spend good money on bald tyres that were removed close to 20 years ago assuming that you could find them and that they havn't been recycled.

Obviously I don't mean to buy 20 year old tires that literally left the factory. I'm just wondering if it's possible to find what brand tire was used.

I think you will struggle on that mission unless you can trace the first owner and they have a good memory. That exact tyre is extremely unlikely to be amongst its manufacturer's current products too.

Your location will have some bearing on what is a good current alternative.

• Like 2

Lots of VAG cars I've seen have been fitted with Continental's. 

I'd just get a decent all season tyre.

Unless you live in Manchester or Wales. Then I'd say get a set of Uniroyal Rain Experts. 

I have no idea (no record) what Brand the tyres were from the factory..even though I bought a MK1 Fabia 16v Elegance, brand new on 2001yr!!...I think it was Michelins or Dunlop's....I late swapped to Toyos on my bigger summer alloys & the factory alloys had Michelin's Alpin winter tyres fitted.

Just get the same tyre size & load/speed rating as per the manual...any tyre made now has better rubber/traction qualities compared to the design that would have been OEM at the factory....time moves on!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/11/2023 at 22:07, Carproblems said:

Where do you find information about the tires that came with the car from the factory? I can't find any info on 7zap or any parts catalogue for my SEAT ibiza 6L (or skoda/VW for that matter)

I'm thinking of purchasing a new pair of tires and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to buy the tires that came with the car form the factory, they're often recommended by the carmaker as they've been validated and tested in terms of handling, fuel economy, rolling resistance and other stuff that is essential for the car.

Any ideas?

7zap, etka and similar catalogues are general ones which doesn't show configuration of exact car.

17 minutes ago, indars said:

7zap, etka and similar catalogues are general ones which doesn't show configuration of exact car.

At the risk of repeating the thunderingly obvious, YOU DON'T KNOW, AND NEITHER DOES ANYONE ELSE, EXACTLY WHAT MAKE AND MODEL TYRES WERE ON THE CAR NEW! The likelihood is that they were "whatever the manufacturer could get, say 10_000 of, cheapest that month".

On 15/11/2023 at 22:31, Carproblems said:

It's a 2004 MK3 Seat ibiza (6L) with a 1,4 petrol engine producing 75HP (engine code BBY) and a five speed manual gear box.  The original alloys supplied with the car are 15 inches with the following specs "6J x 15 H2 ET43 5/100" and the alloys have the part number 6L0601025G. The tires fitted to it currently are Pirelli P1 Cinturato (195/55 R15 85V), the tires are OK but they were quite worn when I bought the car so I'm wondering if there are better alternative in terms of noise, rolling resistance etc...

Suggestions?

195/55 is not original size for mk1 Fabia R15 rims. Too fat. Speedo, acceleration, drive feel and look will be wrong. But comfort will be better and bit' more protection to damages- too. 195/50 or 185/55 R15 are correct sizes. Had both of them on my Furby and in the end prefered 195/50. Cheaper, better looking and super drive feel.

Brands for new tyres? Every new tyre will be quiter and economical than brand-named old one with just a 3mm protector grooves. Good middle brande is Hankook. Good cheap brand is Sailun. Just idea. Good expensive top-brands- we all know them. Fuel efficiency, noise, rain rating etc can be found in web for each tyre. Plus various tests results in various countries.

26 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

At the risk of repeating the thunderingly obvious, YOU DON'T KNOW, AND NEITHER DOES ANYONE ELSE, EXACTLY WHAT MAKE AND MODEL TYRES WERE ON THE CAR NEW! The likelihood is that they were "whatever the manufacturer could get, say 10_000 of, cheapest that month".

Question was: info (info. what info?) about tyres from factory. It's a very general question. From PR codes you can get just a size, speed an load rating. And from "whatever the manufacturer could get..."- sad, but it's almost true. My new mk1 Fabia was with Matador cheap summer tyres from factory.

8 hours ago, Paws4Thot said:

Please stop yelling like a madman.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1