Anyone know what 'dieseling' means

Any idea of cost to replace engine - just curious.

Also should Skoda provide me with a relief vehicle with the car being within the 3 year warranty??

You'll get one through Skoda Assist (AA). You're entitled to the same class of car. Make sure they know you'll need it for a while! Mine was just for two days while the dealer wanted it for 10.

(edit: late to the party as usual.... )

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Had update from both dealer and Skoda customer services today on my car.

Parts on order for this week.

Being replaced :

Complete Engine

Turbocharger

Intercooler

Full exhaust system

Any 'guesstimates' at cost of repair??

Car available end of week possibly.

** UPDATE **

Received courtesy phone call this morning from Skoda Customer Services just checking to see if all is ok with my car now its been repaired.

Funny thing is, I haven't got the car - it's still in the workshop. (Still car less since 19th December 2006).

Need it back soon cause the Fabia loan car has the most annoying radio in the world - Ever!!

You can drive 1/2 mile down the road and the radio will tune in to at least 3 different radio stations to the one you're trying to listen to. And the radio stations it finds are at least 40 miles away!!

Of course it is possible for this to happen on a petrol engine...although much less likely. It tended to happen on older cars without all the electronics, where the ignition timing was too far advanced or the cylinder head needed decoking. This caused the engine to "pink" when going up hill in a high gear (also known as pre detonation). When the ignition was turned off it was quite common for the engine to "run on " or diesel" for a second or two. Of course with a certain amount of fuel in the float chamber of a carburretor, the engine could run on for several minutes. In extreme cases you could get the engine to run backwards!

Just collected car from dealers and all seems ok.

Service manager showed me a bag of shrapnel which was the remains of my turbo impeller.

He also added that they've just taken another Octavia in thats gone the same way as mine - although a 1.9TDI. But this one has only covered 10k!!

Suprised with total bill in the region of

i've just checked out a Ford Galaxy at work , that needs a turbo, exhaust system and cat etc , about £2k it will cost the customer if they have it done , and they drove it to the dealership with basically no oil in it as the turbo was pumping it out the exhaust , so it may require an engine yet , kerching

OOOOPPPPPSSSS!!!

Spoke to soon.

Drove home from dealers all ok.

Came out 2.5hrs later - car noisy to start but engine sounds ok when running. Drove 3 miles and stopped at destenation. Tried restarting car and having none of it, persisted and eventually manged to start it. Drove 3 miles home and abandoned on driveway. Not a happy bunny!! :thumbdwn:

Car not the same to drive - slight knocking from underneath (guess its new exhaust). Power steering also feels heavier than before - don't know if this is due to spending 2 weeks in a loan Fabia.

Any suggestions on my type of approach to the service department - obviously was to late to ring tonight. :finger:

I would suggest a polite but firm,

"Hi you repaired my car under warranty but I'm afraid it just isn't right, It won't start or run correctly and there are also the following problems that were not there before "

Hope that helps, let us know how you get on.

The weight of the power steering can be adjusted on the Octy II I believe, also the fabia is definitely lighter from what I can remember of driving them.

Drove car to dealers Fri morning, left running whilst I fetched the service manager from his comfy chair. Asked him to turn the car off and then fire it back up. It wouldn't start so they tried diagnostics. This threw up absolutely zilch, and both him and the technician have no idea what the cause is. Left dealers in an extremely rapid 1.2HTP Fabia - awesome. Phone call Saturday from dealer saying they needed Fabia back as Salesman promised it out on a test drive. Replaced with 1.6FSI Octavia.

In one month I am on my 6th car (inc. my own), I will soon be able to advise you on every model in the Skoda range that I have test driven.

I will soon be able to advise you on every model in the Skoda range that I have test driven.

await your review of the Octavia Scout :D

Hope it gets sorted soon :thumbup:

I had my Octy 2 2.0tdi elegance and my Fabia at the same time for a while, and going from one to another, the Fabia's steering is a lot lighter and is geared differently - takes less turns of the wheel than the Octy.

Phone call from dealer at 1700hrs. They have no idea what the fault is and don't expect to know anything until the end of the week!!

Now doesn't that fill you with confidence.

Dont be too hard on the dealer. Tracking an electrical fault that does not show up on the diagnostics can be very time consuming. Consider the amount of wiring that runs your car and you can see that if the diagnostics dont throw up a fault code, the only solution is to start testing (easiest by replacement) all the systems that keep it going. Factor in time to get the parts as well, one week seems reasonable. They may hit is on the first day, or may find the faulty part is the last thing they check. Something like a broken wire inside its insulator will possibly give intermittent operation and may measure correctly making diagnosis a real pain in the butt.

Chris

Chris

Todays update................

Technician who started to look at the problem yesterday is not working today so job come to a standstill!!

Dealer doesn't know what problem but they are working through some information from Skoda Technical Support.

More news tomorrow hopefully.

Good luck with this. They seem to be doing all they can. My advice would be to be patient, and hope for a free first service on the new engine for all the hassle its caused you.

As its a company car, perhaps they would consider an early replacement?

Todays news....................

Dealer still flummoxed by fault on car. Although the original fault I reported - a knocking/rattling noise when the engine is turned off has been diagnosed and hopefully cured by replacing the throttle body.

Car still fails to start when warm.

More news as it happens.

Todays news....................

Dealer still flummoxed by fault on car. Although the original fault I reported - a knocking/rattling noise when the engine is turned off has been diagnosed and hopefully cured by replacing the throttle body.

Car still fails to start when warm.

More news as it happens.

Look on the bright side, at least the problem is still there when it's at the dealers ;)

Area Technical Manager been called in to investigate further.

He gave the dealership some pointers to try, none of which have been successful so far.

Dealer is totally stumped with this fault - suspect it may be a fault with the new engine itself, something to do with the injectors or similar.

For my sins I have been condemned to a van with windows - the Roomster......... I will update you all on my test drive experience but feel that it would be more at home at the Vatican.