Would you buy another Octavia?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered an L&K 2.0 tdi DSG.

Changing from an Audi A3, which has been the worst car I've ever had for reliability and shocking dealer service. Thankfully is a company car.

I guess there are no guarantees with any make, model or dealer - especially once they've made the sale and move on to the next customer.

Having expected a better service and car from a supposedly upmarket brand, I've been severley disappointed and learnt that list price and badge can mean bugger all.

So hopefully the next 3 years of the Skoda (when it arrives) will be better - certainl seems many satisfied ppl on here.

You will love it!

Nope, wouldn't buy another. I have an Ocvtavia vRS 2003, which has performed well over the year that I've owned it, in which time I've done about 20k miles, without any problems whatsoever. It's fast, handles fairly well and IMO looks good too.............but the whole package is pretty crude, not particularly comfortable and suffers to much from wind/road noise. Overall just an average car. No real complaints, but no major plus points either, other than cheap performance.

Why not try a Mk II VRs? They are a major step forward from the Mk I. I do however understand anyone wanting to try something different. I've never had the same make of car twice running:

VW Polo, Renault Laguna, VW Golf, Audi TT, then finally Skoda. To be honest, the Skoda is as good as any of them. Between the final three I like them all for different reasons!

Definitely not.

My new 1.9TDi Elegance had awful clutch judder from new. The Clutch/DMF was replaced at 2,000 miles, but it needed a new one again at 4,000 miles.

The Octavia is big, practical, comfortable and has an excellent cabin. The mechanicals, however, I have to conclude to be dire.

Refinement is spoilt not only by the tractor engine but also wind noise around the front windows. You could be forgiven for thinking the windows were open.

I chopped it in, at little loss, for a BMW 320D. Now I appreciate that is a big step up in price (

Probably - Yes !

Although I say Yes because it's not my money, it's the company. Switched to Skoda from VW due to increasing size of my family (twin boys !!) All manufacturers have niggles not just Skoda.

Previously had a MK4 Golf, 3 years, 80k, gearbox replaced under warranty; then MK5 Golf for 2 years, 65k, dodgy electrics after phone car kit fitted, airbag light kept coming on and off.

Switched to Octy Mk 1 1.9 TDi (when kids born) because I needed the space, 4 years old, 112k, original clutch, no real issues except master brake cylinder replaced and knocking from the front suspension.

What next.............Octy 2 1.9 TDi Estate for even more room and comfort. Just wish my company would add the vRS diesel to the car listing !!! :mad:

On the whole, been impressed with Skoda and looking forward to my new one (in 7 weeks time). Would I buy if it was my money - yes i would.

Simon

Legends International

The Octavia is big, practical, comfortable and has an excellent cabin. The mechanicals, however, I have to conclude to be dire.

Refinement is spoilt not only by the tractor engine but also wind noise around the front windows. You could be forgiven for thinking the windows were open.

Perhaps if I had bought a 2.0 TDi DSG it would all have turned out differently, but based on my experience if I were going budget again I would be looking at the Kia Ceed right now.

The trouble with this thread is that you can't generalise. "Octavia" covers too much variation. My 2.0FSI engine is terrific - far from tractor - but I doubt if I'd like the smaller ones. When I had a series of Cavaliers, I hated the cooking 2.0i but loved the 2.0 SRi - not just because of the engine, it was like two totally different models, which of course it was.

So really you would have to test every model of Octy, then say which you would have again and which you wouldn't.

I would, but I would like to upgrade to a Superb estate with all the toys and a big Audi diesel, I do find the Octavia a bit dull but as it has been faultless I consider that to be more important.

Perhaps - but with only 1000 miles on the clock it will be a while before I have to make a decision. The car seems fine so far but no

match for my previous Xsara VTR. However SWMBO would not drive the Xsara and had her own Fabia. At the moment, I think that we both wish that we had not changed to the Octavia Elg. 2.0FSI.

The car is pretty good but our dealer experience has been appalling. It seems to us as though all the staff have a contract that insists that they sell a car at all costs, regardless of the facts, then avoid the customer like the plague. We thought that we had bought a brand new car, in reality it had been sitting in a field for 2 years. An 07 registration on an 05 car takes a bit of getting used to.

This Forum and the helpful people here have probably been the only pleasant experience so far.

I will probably buy another one.

I have a 2.0TDi Elegance and I have had no problems at all. It was one year old when I bought it (Ex-Skoda UK company car), I have done 35000 miles in the last year and it has been fantastic.

Previous cars to this were a Primera, Avensis and a Mondeo and whilst they were all generally OK, the spec level and the smile it puts on my face when I drive this car is well worth it. And it saved me a fortune.

The only downside, my local dealer (Jacksons of Basingstoke) closed a few months after I bought this car from Loders in Yeovil so servicing is now an issue, but by ringing around instead of taking it to the local garage, I have been saving myself a bit of cash.

Almost

I've ordered another one, which arrives in a few weeks.

My Octy 1 vRS hasn't been issue free but the dealers I've used (HL Austin, Ashmore Green and now Rainworth) have all been very helpful and professional when I've needed them.

Yes My Octy2 is two years and 48,000 miles from new but is running better than when new. The engine has stopped using oil and runs smoother. Had a succession of Renaults before but never again.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes. Got a 2.0 TDI for the company car tax. Next one will be vRS petrol for fun. TDI can be a bit noisy at some speeds/surfaces. Just changed front boots to Michellin pilot premacy HP. We'll see if this changes anything. All in all the car is great, good standard equipment, nicely put together, my dealer is excellent, decent economy and real fun on the road. Well done SKODA you'll be seeing my ( company ) money again.

Yes, I have been well impressed with my Car seriously debating going for a VRs in fact taking have one all day tomorrow on test.

And for me that is a big recommendation as to date I have not had the same manufacturer of Car for my next new Car, had a few Fords though but never back to back and not the same Model.

Thinking about it went from Mazda, MG, Ford, Vauxhall, Ford, Peugeot, Ford. Vauxhall, Rover, Nissan, Ford, Honda, Skoda. IIRC

Muckyduck

I have had my L&K estate TDI for two weeks and I have mixed feelings about it. I have just sold a Volvo Cross Country after owning it for 6 years from new and the build quality of the Volvo was far, far ahead of the Skoda. Polishing the roof pushes the metal in, the hinges on the rear door are minute compared to the Volvo, the carpets on the Volvo were unmarked after six years, I expect about 6 months on the Skoda. The paintwork has more marks after two weeks than the Volvo after six years, the paintwork on the Volvo was superb. I have heard a lot on this site about how good the DSG gearbox is, but it isnt a patch on the Volvo automatic box where you are not aware of when it changes gear and I never caught it out in 6 years, I have already had several occasions already when the gearbox is in two minds. I do incidentally know the difference between a DSG and a torque converter.

However as a car to drive the L&K is okay and meets most criterias of getting from A to B, but I am fairly sure I will be trading it in after three years.

david

I'm on my 4th Skoda. I had an early Octy I 1.6GLXi (excellent), then a vRS (very unreliable) then a 1.9TDi Superb Comfort (great car), and now the Octy II DSG. From my experience the cars are still great, but the dealers aren't. IMO Skoda lost its best selling point when it started demanding flash dealerships.

I don't think I'd buy another new car -seems such a waste of money now I'm paying rather than the company. SWMBO has a Toymota and it's been faultless. My mother has a Toymota too and that's been fab. So I can see myself being drawn to them next time. The biggest Skoda selling point for me is that I can have a diesel without having to do all that gearchanging nonsense. If Toymota can come up with a diesel auto I'm off.

• 3 weeks later...

When the time comes I'll test whatever is around and choose then - no way of knowing at this point.

The Mondeo does look rather unFord, doesn't it.

Toyota are good but I haven't yet been grabbed by looks of any. Same goes for Vectra, Nissan Primera, most French cars, don't like the current look of BMW........fussy lot, aren't we!