My Fabia VRS 1/4 Mile

novaneil

I think this is getting daft.

My 2p worth.........

A fabia vrs remapped or not is no match for a CTR!!!

Why are you even comparing them, the fabia is a mile muncher luke warm hatch and the civic a perfectly set up track weapon. The only thing they have in common is they are both mostly driven by old people. ;)

A civic will pull much harder and faster than the fabia. Plus it is more balanced than the fat nose fabia, so will go round corners at speeds at which you will more than likley die if you attempt them in a fabia.

I even own a fabia, and yes it is mapped and yes it is a quick motor, but remember there will always be someone who can go faster. :thumbup:

_____

john

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is getting daft.

These threads always do.

the civic a perfectly set up track weapon.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's made my day! Just when I though it was time to call it a night, we have a winner! Do you do much on the track? CTR's are nice but not what most enthusiasts would call "a perfectly set up track weapon" You are a comedian and I claim my five pounds.

This thread is running off screaming in to the Forest of Misdirection

These threads always do.

That's made my day! Just when I though it was time to call it a night, we have a winner! Do you do much on the track? CTR's are nice but not what most enthusiasts would call "a perfectly set up track weapon" You are a comedian and I claim my five pounds.

It is compared with the fabia ;), maybe i should have chosen my words more carefully.

I have been known to go on the track. Not had the fabia on a track yet, but hopefully it wont be long.

Glad I made your day :P

It is compared with the fabia ;), maybe i should have chosen my words more carefully.

I have been known to go on the track. Not had the fabia on a track yet, but hopefully it wont be long.

Glad I made your day :P

NP

If you play with the suspension on the furby, you can actually get it to drift quite nicely ;)

Thats an easy question to answer. The service interval would be every 5k and it would need a rebuild after 60k.

As usual these threads always miss one big point;

It's all down to personal preference. I could always make my VRS go faster round atrack then any of the Clios, or standard CTR's I came up against.

Why? I probably had bigger balls (Or a smaller brain, same thing really) and was into it a bit more than others who would worry about killing the brakes or something else whereas I could easily fix these things myself at less cost than someone who would need to go and see a man to fix them.

I think the point I am trying to make is it is what it is. It's what you do with it that truely defines it's credibility and purpose.

just say the words, go on, you know you'll feel better for it :D

It's handling must be doing something right, being crowned Hot Hatch king for a few years in a row, until the only car affordable hot hatch to beat it... ' Focus RS' which is equipped with an LSD.

Bare in mind this is the pre-facelift, the facelift version 54 + have a lightened flywheel as standard making acceleration a tad bit quicker and better throttle response.

'Adrenaline and pumping handling' Tiff know's '**** all' :P

Back on track of the original thread - ie Fabia 1/4 mile times - do wider tires make a big difference over the original 16" ones?

Has anyone swapped for 17" or 18" and timed the improvement? Know that Jase has a set of slicks that he uses....

I never see the point of trying to get a faster 1/4 mile time. Wider tyres, slicks, smaller wheels, what's the point? It wouldn't be able to do that on the road, so claiming your car can do so and so on the 1/4 mile is pathetic..

I never see the point of trying to get a faster 1/4 mile time. Wider tyres, slicks, smaller wheels, what's the point? It wouldn't be able to do that on the road, so claiming your car can do so and so on the 1/4 mile is pathetic..

My point - in case you missed it - is that do you get a real measurable improvement on a Fabia by going to wider tyres (which stay on the car all the time)? I'd like to learn from those that may have done the switch...

I have an ATB LSD fitted to my Civic. And they're not designed to help in a straight line.

How is yours different to mine?

As said earlier Diffs ARE designed to help in a stright line, they lock both wheels (to a certain degree) to keep them working together, (twice the grip if only one is spinning standard) how can this NOT help forward momentum in a stright line???

I was on the cartune racing britcar team in 2006 (class winners) they had a Inport spec engine (rebuilt by Neil brown) And that was still dissapointing to drive according to Ian Carvell He commented as being like waiting for a Turbo thats never going to come in.

(that was Properly set up by Neil brown on the engine dyno)

I have yet to see a CTR to get out of the 15s at pod without having a turbo bolted to the engine!!!! :thumbdwn:

There quick in certain situations but the lack of bottom end grunt is a looser for me :thumbdwn:

Quickest ET N/A Type R

1. 13.170 @ 107.44MPH (Finland) jostrom

2. 13.27 @ 105.67MPH (Shakespeare County Raceway) RPM ..UK's Fastest N/A CTR

3. 13.410 @ 104.76MPH (Finland) DeNsO

4. 13.515 @ 106.00MPH (Finland) TomiM

5. 13.729 @ 104.70MPH (Crail) The Keiser

6. 13.809 @ 102.01MPH (SCR) CPL Racing

7. 13.863 @ 102.90MPH (SCR) N77

8. 13.915 @ 103.95MPH (Santa Pod) tp

9. 13.960 @ 100.40MPH (Santa Pod) Matt_D

10. 14.126 @ 100.42MPH (Santa Pod) FreakOnALeash

11. 14.180 @ 102.24MPH (Santa Pod) Sara

12. 14.210 @ 102.50MPH (Crail) davjs

13. 14.332 @ 99.20MPH (Santa Pod) Tarticus

14. 14.351 @ 97.62MPH (Santa Pod) andy18s

15. 14.380 @ 97.18MPH (Santa Pod) matt580551

16. 14.523 @ 98.84MPH (Santa Pod) paul

17. 14.540 @ 96.96MPH (York) VTEC ABUSER

18. 14.619 @ 96.76MPH (Santa Pod) DannySED

19. 14.624 @ 97.18MPH (Santa Pod) J5C

20. 14.926 @ 96.00MPH (Santa Pod) evilowl

21. 15.173 @ 92.02MPH (Santa Pod) jake mustard

22. 15.470 @ 92.04MPH (Santa Pod) mini_ron

Quickest 60ft N/A Type R

1. 2.062 (SCR) RPM

2. 2.120 (Finland) DeNsO

3. 2.155 (Finland) jostrom

4. 2.200 (Santa Pod) Matt_D

5. 2.203 (finland) TomiM

6. 2.206 (Crail) The Keiser

7. 2.218 (Santa Pod) Tarticus

8. 2.281 (Santa Pod) FreakOnALeash

9. 2.296 (Santa Pod) N77_CEJ

10. 2.310 (Santa Pod) J5C

Fastest Trap N/A Type R

1. 107.44MPH (Finland) jostrom

2. 106.00MPH (Finland) TomiM

3. 105.67MPH (SCR) RPM

4. 104.70 (Crail) The Keiser

5. 103.95MPH (Santa Pod) tp

6. 102.90MPH (SCR) N77

7. 102.50MPH (Crail) davjs

8. 102.24MPH (Santa Pod) Sara

9. 102.01MPH (SCR) CPL Racing

10. 101.90MPH (Finland) DeNsO

How many times have you visited the 'Pod' then?

My point - in case you missed it - is that do you get a real measurable improvement on a Fabia by going to wider tyres (which stay on the car all the time)? I'd like to learn from those that may have done the switch...

were you asking about wider tyres or larger diameter wheels? or both? my guess would be that wider tyres would give better grip/traction and bigger wheels would reduce the amount of leverage the engine has over the tyres - both would in theory reduce wheelspin?

:)

Have to agree, 1/4 mile times don't interest me and i wouldn't put my car to that abuse, what really matters is when you're on the move and on the road IMO.

Snoopie,

I really can't be bothered! Personally I think Civic Type R's are cr@p but im not going to go on about it just because you've got one.

And with regards to my cars performance.... again, I know what my car did and I know what mods my mates cars have got. I don't understand why you telling me my cars slower than everyone i've mentioned its going to become reality??? At the end of the day my car got a 15.5 1/4 mile which considering its crap at launching and I was in 5th as I went across the line Proves the cars no slouch (whats a bog standard Civic Type R's 1/4 mile time out of interest?)

oh and the Focus RS has an ATB diff not an LSD. There two different things :rolleyes:

Neil

Snoopie,

I really can't be bothered! Personally I think Civic Type R's are cr@p but im not going to go on about it just because you've got one.

And with regards to my cars performance.... again, I know what my car did and I know what mods my mates cars have got. I don't understand why you telling me my cars slower than everyone i've mentioned its going to become reality??? At the end of the day my car got a 15.5 1/4 mile which considering its crap at launching and I was in 5th as I went across the line Proves the cars no slouch (whats a bog standard Civic Type R's 1/4 mile time out of interest?)

oh and the Focus RS has an ATB diff not an LSD. There two different things :rolleyes:

Neil

So, here we have, someone else driving your car, and got thrashed by a standard Leon Cupra R, but when you raced a remapped one, he couldn't pull on you? LOL.

Of course you think CTR's are crap, you're bitter, and I think your car is crap, infact, I know your car is crap, have a look at the history of it, when the engine nearly blew. Before you slate others cars, becareful.

As for a bog standard CTR's time, it ranges from 14.4 to 15 + dependant on driver.

Oh, and if you say an ATB is not an LSD, *All torque biasing limited slip differential* (LSD)

Then if you could ring up Quaife for me, and tell them I want a refund on my LSD that I bought from them as they have no idea what they're making.

P1010023Medium.jpg

:D

As for a bog standard CTR's time, it ranges from 14.4 to 15 + dependant on driver.

I will be taking my car to 'the pod' - I will make sure I post my times up ;) (don't worry I will also state if it was wet) Oh its also totally standard - So we will have to see...:thumbup:

An ATB and LSD do a similar job but are not the same thing. An LSD uses clutch like friction plates that wear very quickly and are nearly always only used in motorsport.

An ATB on the other hand uses planetary gears instead.....

Oh and it's Automatic Torque Biasing diff. :P

So, here we have, someone else driving your car, and got thrashed by a standard Leon Cupra R, but when you raced a remapped one, he couldn't pull on you? LOL.

Of course you think CTR's are crap, you're bitter, and I think your car is crap, infact, I know your car is crap, have a look at the history of it, when the engine nearly blew. Before you slate others cars, becareful.

Oh, and if you say an ATB is not an LSD, *All torque biasing limited slip differential* (LSD)

Then if you could ring up Quaife for me, and tell them I want a refund on my LSD that I bought from them as they have no idea what they're making.

P1010023Medium.jpg

did you not see the photos he posted before :confused: what more do you need to accept the fact that his fabia vrs is just that damn fast...:rolleyes:

An ATB and LSD do a similar job but are not the same thing. An LSD uses clutch like friction plates that wear very quickly and are nearly always only used in motorsport.

An ATB on the other hand uses planetary gears instead.....

Oh and it's Automatic Torque Biasing diff. :P

So, Why is it when you type into the search facility on Quaife's website, 'Limited Slip Differential' it brings up 479 results of all the cars?

Taken from a Spoon article for the Quaife unit fitted to my CTR "Not wanting to be bothered with the hassle of sourcing a JDM Honda helical LSD I thought I may aswell upgrade on that and go for Quaife. All costed out I was all set to order the Quaife ATB LSD unit when I was offered a Spoon LSD for a very good price."

I mean, I guess I'm wrong in that instance, but a few of the tuning companies as big as Spoon, talk about them as if they're the same thing.

Again, Limited slip differential - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Goes on to say, that an ATB is a form of LSD,

So, who's wrong? :confused:

P1010023Medium.jpg

Lol, Its an ATB Diff as in Automatic Torque Biasing Differential as it clearly states on the packet of your diff!!! Can you not read man???

A LSD (Limited Slip Diff) is NOT THE SAME!!! Have a look on the Quiaffe Website and tell me where it says they make an LSD :rolleyes:

He's the Link to help you

What is a Quaife ATB differential - Quaife Engineering

They do exactly what they say in the name! Ones Torque Biasing (better for handling) and ones Limited slip (usually better for launch starts and road conditions where your more likely to loose grip eg Wet)

At no point on their website do they quote they make what you said a "All torque biasing limited slip differential" Because they don't!!! Its not limited Slip!! If a diff in its own right.

Here have a read OEM - Quaife Engineering And I also own two Quaife ATB Diffs :thumbup: Best £500 i've ever spent on the 2 cars i've had them fitted to.

And with regards to someone else driving my car and getting thrashed by a LCR... He weighed 16 stone I weight 9.5 lol.... no seriously, so what? And if you read back through the post you see I admit to the LCR being quicker anyway so I don't know why your carrying on? look at the facts....

Lets say my mates LCR has 260bhp (for arguments sake) and 260lb's ft torque and weighs more than the fabia. And my car has 190bhp and 300lb's ft torque (which I can't confirm but the previous owner ensures me he has the dyno graph to prove). I don't see from the figures why its so weird to you that what im saying about the LCR only putting a few car lengths on me in a straight line rolling start dual could actually be true (which it is) lol.

My fabia is only a daily work horse, I hate diesel's I really do. Its the lack of revs and heavy weight over the front that upsets the handling I despise along with the noise. But it really is a fantastic car, I've grown to like it and when you can do 15.5 1/4 mile (which even you can't deny is not exactly slow for an average car) then drive home and do 55mpg. you can't complain really. Especially as the insurance and tax is very low for the performance you get.

Neil

Please show me how an ATB Diff "Limits Slip" ie Limited Slip Diff.....

People call them LSD's in the same way people say "im going to Hoover the stairs" (when they have a dyson vacuum cleaner) or "i've just fitted NOS to my car" when they've actually fitted Zex Nitrous kit......

Its just an generic term for the product.

See what im getting at? :rolleyes:

Please show me how an ATB Diff "Limits Slip" ie Limited Slip Diff.....

People call them LSD's in the same way people say "im going to Hoover the stairs" (when they have a dyson vacuum cleaner) or "i've just fitted NOS to my car" when they've actually fitted Zex Nitrous kit......

Its just an generic term for the product.

See what im getting at? :rolleyes:

So your car is as fast? Or faster than a remapped Dyson? :confused:

Now your definately talking ********....