Skoda MFD3 Trinax - My thoughts **Warning Lots of Pictures**

Just an update, I had a call from the dealer the other day to say that V3 is now on a warranty swap, not sure if theres a bottle of bubble like VW, so my sugestion is to get on to the dealers. Not sure though on the lead time for the dealers to get hold of the discs.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just an update, I had a call from the dealer the other day to say that V3 is now on a warranty swap, not sure if theres a bottle of bubble like VW, so my sugestion is to get on to the dealers. Not sure though on the lead time for the dealers to get hold of the discs.

what dealer did you speak to?

It's good that v3 is now out and about, but I still think it's pretty poor that you don't get full postcode entry.

In Columbus, we have a start of the art media/nav system, and it can't do postcodes properly. What were they thinking? I suspect this is more the fault of Navteq, rather than VW, but still.

Oh well. A new feature for v4, perhaps.

Bagpuss.

VAG catching up? Have they discovered USB yet? Obviously not! How come you can buy a 2 din unit from Hong Kong which has USB and a mini jack socket for a quarter of the price?

and what happens to that when you have a problem with it?

as the saying goes...you pay your money, you take your chance!

personally I would prefer Skoda support, warranty etc if/when things go wrong....for example I doubt very much if there would be a free map upgrade from a hong kong supplier....in fact more likely the softwrae would be dodgy I reckon!...

Fair comment about things going wrong but you only get 12 months from most people these days unless its part of the extended warranty on a new car( However I got 3 years on a satnav from Aldi and it works great 15months on!). And why is it so hard to include USB and a mini jack?

So if you are going to pay 1200plus pounds you would expect a few more whistles and bells". I had a sony mp3 player in my last X reg Octavia and my P reg Citroen had an auxilliary mini jack. My 2005 Octavia only plays bog standard CDs on the "Steam" music system/ radio and the sound quality is far from fabulous and there is no easy way of connecting anything else to it - unless you use a £5.00 USB/MP3 transmitter! (Which I am doing)

Re. 12 month warranty, read up on the sales of goods act. You should expect more than that and legally are within your rights to do so

Btw acidentally came across iPod CD changer adapter, VW iPod, Music Link, xCarLink check out their skoda page and the model VI units which provide USB/aux/men card input and Bluetooth phone functions in a unit that can be attached without need to remove cd changer. Looks good, not sure if anyone around here has one...

Latest info on the V3 from Skoda. The dealer is having some difficulty in getting the warenty swap as the disc is not inviced as a seprate item when ordered with MFD3 with the car, they are having to find some way of getting round the problem of no paperwork. The dealers manager has a meeting with some guy in the warrenty thing abob, so hopefull i will have an answer soon.

This will hopefully help some of you who think the dealers may be pulling the wool over your eyes -

Loss of postcode search functionality – Columbus touch-screen satellite navigation system

Over the past few months we have been working with the factory to resolve the loss of the postcode search functionality on the recently launched Columbus touch-screen satellite navigation system.

We can now supply the latest DVD version (V3) of the system from our parts warehouse, under part number AAN 000 061A. For customers that have already bought the Columbus satellite navigation unit, you can exchange their DVD under warranty via SAGA/2.

When exchanging customers' DVDs you must obtain a copy of their sales invoice (showing the purchase of the sat nav DVD) as this will be recalled by the warranty department, along with the original version 2 of the DVD.

presumably you'll only have a separate invoice for DVD if not factory fit?.....

Talking with STU on Sunday (great job by the way) the discs are ordered by the dealer upon the ordering of columbus. So there should be a paper trail.

Got my new vRS TDI with Columbus and Soundsystem last week. Although it sounds awesome, I´m planning to fit sub in the boot. I might post some photos when the job is done. Unfortunately I have to wait few weeks before I can start fitting. Too much things to do.. don´t have the time.

I seriously would try out some music with real deep bass that is high in the mix first before deciding on a sub

I was pleasantly surprised when I did this....in my old Mk1 the same tracks sounded like a wet fart!.....in my mkII clear as a bell and no rattling of speakers or doors.......but then I didn't turn the volume up more than about 40%.....that seems well loud enough for me :)

the balance between the bass and the high freqeuncies could be better though...I think this is more down to speaker placement more than anything else

Stu - did you fit this unit or was it a factory fit - I have just got hold of one and need to fit it - where do I begin?

Fitted it myself, dead easy. Follow the MFD2 guide via the link in my signature.

It will probably need VAG-COM or VAS coding though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
iPod CD changer adapter, VW iPod, Music Link, xCarLink[/url] check out their skoda page and the model VI units which provide USB/aux/men card input and Bluetooth phone functions in a unit that can be attached without need to remove cd changer. Looks good, not sure if anyone around here has one...

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned but I tried the xCarLink iPod adaptor and it does not work on the MFD3 sadly but if there is a good alternative to try let me know..:)

Finally got my V3 Sat Nav DVD from the dealer as a warranty item.

As the Columbus was a factory fit, they took a copy of the invoice for the car as proof of purchase, I also returned the V2 DVD.

It took them 10 weeks to sort this out !!

It is still a shame that it still cannot do a full postcode search.