Delaminating Octy 2 Windscreens - Merged Threads

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The white milky strip that has appeared along the bottom of the windscreen is called delamination. I have had it happen to two of my MK2 Octavia's. The first one I had replaced under warranty with no problem. I think they are keen to rectify because the windscreen is an integral part of the cars structure. With regards to my latest Octavia's windscreen problem I thought I would wait until the next service and a few more stone chips later and get it replaced! If you have it replaced, check that the ticket holder is OK afterwards.

If you should have to replace the screen yourself, don't be suckered into the Autoglass route.

They quoted me £560 to replace a vRS II windscreen.

A local company did it for £180 all in, and it is the same screen Skoda would use.

Skoda themselves only quoted £160+vat.

I was expecting a lot more tbh.

Got a 56 reg octavia estate.

The bottom of the front screen has started to go white and is spreading, can this be claimed under warranty.

What is the problem, anyone else suffered this?.

this is de-lamination and it happened to mine. Beleive it is a relativly common problem. Mine was done under warranty. and yes, check that ticket holder - mine disappeared!

Also make sure that you get the proper sunscreening strip or graduated tint at the top of the screen. One of those things you don't realise you don't have until you haven't got it (if you follow me!!)

so its cheaper to go to skoda for a window?might have to do that soon after the **** that over took me tonight decided to kick up tons of stones and chip the screen ( i wasnt hanging around either).

I'd be VERY supprised if a dealer would supply and fit a screen for £160+vat. That's probably a supply only price.

Even if it is a supply only price most indy screen fitters charge around £40+vat to fit if you take the car to them so still not a bad price for a OEM screen!

I'd be VERY supprised if a dealer would supply and fit a screen for £160+vat. That's probably a supply only price.

Please don't call my a liar :mad:

If you don't believe me call Farmers Skoda in Leicester.

They quoted £160 + vat and would fit it in 2 days. (Using an outside company to fit)

This was for a vRS screen with green tint and the grey stripe at the top.

Made of Pilkington glass to the spec of the OE.

I have a 55 plate Octy that I bought in December last year and I noticed that the delamination is starting on the windscreen. I took it in to the Skoda garage on Friday and the Aftersales manager had a look - said that it happened on some cars but not on others but said he would replace under warranty. Hopefully the new screen will not suffer the same fate.

Looks like mine is going the same way... Ho hum, I've got a couple of wee chips which are more than slightly annoying. :)

I can see that mine is starting to go too - the car is just four month's old!

If you are changing windscreen and you have not rain sensor and auto dimming mirror, I would think to put there new windscreen for rain sensor and also you can put there auto dimming mirror... like I did

If you are changing windscreen and you have not rain sensor and auto dimming mirror, I would think to put there new windscreen for rain sensor and also you can put there auto dimming mirror... like I did

Convincing Skoda to do that may not be that easy though :(

This is interesting as mine is doing the same thing BUT I had a new aftermarket windscreen just a few days after delivery :confused: Perhaps this is a more common problem/issue?

Oh and btw, I think you'll find that the excess for replacement glass is somewhat more that fifty quid nowadays, mine is £90!

Oh and btw, I think you'll find that the excess for replacement glass is somewhat more that fifty quid nowadays, mine is £90!

Depends on insurer - NFU Mutual has a £40 excess for replacement, zero if chip is repairable.

My excess is £70.

My windscreen has this problem - as it seems so common, the question has to be asked - is it REALLY a problem at all??

Yes it's a problem.

Used to work for dbl glazing co, and basically this is water getting between the glass to the plastic layer.

This will grow up the windscreen as time goes by and if trapped the water will expand and crack the screen.

Also if will affect the structural integrity of the glass and as this is such a vital part of the cars structure not good.

HTH