Delaminating Octy 2 Windscreens - Merged Threads

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are changing windscreen and you have not rain sensor and auto dimming mirror, I would think to put there new windscreen for rain sensor and also you can put there auto dimming mirror... like I did

I'm interested, what's the work involved in retrofitting the rain sensor unit? I can see it as possible to get them to fit the sensor windscreen instead as it should just be a simple part swap and no cost involved. The main question is how difficult is it to fit the new rear view and the parts required to get the rain sensor working and VAG coded? I seem to remember from reading on the forums that it's a real pain VAGCOM coding the new headlight switch etc.

I had my Octy new last October and just checked the screen this morning and found that it is starting to de-laminate already. So will ring the dealer on Monday!

Mine also has this problem, booked in for first service 29/4. I have mentioned this to Garage who said ..." We will look at it!"

Hope they do more than look at it if this is a known issue

My sensor is gone a bit mad since mine was replaced.

@ kmc what part of the screen is the cracking coming from? The tube holding the sensor cables was also not properly not put on properly, neither was the cover around the sensor, actually 1 clip is broken.

Hi Gaff, went back in on Frdiay afternoon and my dealer refitted the tube that covers the sensor wires (think that had to take the mirror off as well to do it). They also tried to clean the black sealant off the headlining but in the process of doing so, actually damaged the headlining in a very small patch. Forthunately not in a very visible place so I have left it - alternative was to argue for the whole roof lining to be replaced which I'm sure would lead to fitting problems elsewhere so I don't want to risk exacerbating the problem. Regarding the creaking noise, I think I may have been paranoid! There are a few creaks from my cabin when I go over very rough roads so can't say it was the screen. Been over speed humps and stuff and don't think there is any noise from the screen. Will have to see.

What does delamination look like? My front screen looks okay but rear screen has a sort of foggy grey bottom edge, extending only about 1/4" up the screen - I think it only shows up because the screen is black there.

Is that what the problem looks like and should I get it seen to? [still in warranty till end of June].

Yeah, I guess I have a slight case of that on the rear screen bottom edge - nowhere near as white or as continuous, but I think that must be what it is.

Trouble is, it seems from this forum that replacement has been causing more trouble than the delamination!!?

Is this a VW/Skoda thing? Never heard of it before having an Octy. Had one windscreen replaced, no real probs. Thing is the replacement is starting to delaminate too. Car now out of warranty. Anyone heard of this on other vehicles?

Checked mine today after washing and aquapel'ing

Mines de-laminating quite a thick "milky" band across the entire base of the screen.

Now it's the hassle of trying to find time to sort it out with the dealer, bah humbug

Is this a VW/Skoda thing? Never heard of it before having an Octy. Had one windscreen replaced, no real probs. Thing is the replacement is starting to delaminate too. Car now out of warranty. Anyone heard of this on other vehicles?

The screen would have its own warranty in effect, if less than a year old - maybe more. Sale of Goods act should come into it somewhere. Screen not fit for the purpose intended.

Think some of us are still asking the same question, and getting no real answer maybe that is now the bigger issue. Is this a Octy / Skoda thing or do other manufacturer have same problem. One Briskodian has said its on OCTY 2s only !!!

------------------------------------

Octy 2, 1.9 TDI PD Ambiente 4x4 Combi and Nissan Sunny 2.0 DLX, Company Octy 1.9 TDI Tor Combi.

Can we merge this with the other thread please mods?

As i said in the other thread, this can happen with any laminated glass and I have seen it happen on other cars, however at present it only seems to be particularly common on the Octy II.

This may just be down to the fact that you can actually see the bottom of the screen on the Octy II and you can't on a lot of other cars.

Can we merge this with the other thread please mods?

Done :). Both threads seem to have drifted into almost duplicates of each other, so merged here for clarity.

I have to agree with cheezemonkhai. Our Nissan Sunny has lam windows, but has a strip around all areas, nearly 13yrs old 144000miles, 200,000+km, bad roads, hot sun, cold winters, and no problems at all. So are all OCTY 2 going to get it, or not ?? Do some escape ??

------------------------------------

Octy 2, 1.9 TDI PD Ambiente 4x4 Combi and Nissan Sunny 2.0 DLX, Company Octy 1.9 TDI Tor Combi.

Update: Took mine into Newbury Skoda. They agreed with me but said that warranty claims have to go through Skoda and they don't think they'll authorize it. Had a walk through the lot and all their Skodas over a few months old were doing it, even the Fabias.

So... question, who has managed to get their windscreen replaced under warranty and how did they get it authorised? ..I'd quite like to get mine swapped.

Update: Took mine into Newbury Skoda. They agreed with me but said that warranty claims have to go through Skoda and they don't think they'll authorize it. Had a walk through the lot and all their Skodas over a few months old were doing it, even the Fabias.

So... question, who has managed to get their windscreen replaced under warranty and how did they get it authorised? ..I'd quite like to get mine swapped.

What sort of grounds could they reject a warranty claim on the windscreen, as surely de-lamination is a manufacturing defect and not something caused by fitting an ARB or having a remap :)

If SUK start getting bolshy, maybe we could start a full list of everyone experiencing it and pass this over to BBC's Watchdog and see if they would like to get involved?

Where are you? if in UK you have a full 3 year or 60K mile warranty period

Finland. We only have 2 years/unlimited km's for the mechanical parts and 3 years/unlimited km's for the exterior paint work.

I could and try to get this under paint work warranty. Or if the local importer is aware of this problem, I might get the windscreen changed under warranty so that I just pay for the work and importer pays the parts. I'll have to ask when I go and get my new radio frame from them.

Had mine replaced no problem around a year ago under warranty when the car was 2.5 years old and the band was around 5mm wide at the bottom of the windscreen.

I also had mine done, but I'm in Eire.

Btw anyone know if theres something in particular that can cause noises down between the dash and the windscreen on the very left hand corner (bascially down near where the VIN no. is displayed on the screen), its got like this since the screen was changed IIRC

Its like a rubbing noise and normally get it when turning or on an uneven road........this car is really starting to do my head in now :o