Warning: Fabia Door Leaks

My only reliable and helpful Skoda dealer in the area has said that my problem with leaking rear doors is a known Fabia problem, anyone with a 2002 model year car should be vigilant in wet weather and check the rear footwell's to see if water is getting in unoticed.

The water get's in, not through the door or window seals, but a backing plate behind the interior door panel that shields the interior from the outside (as kindly pointed out by Big K) ,has a seal around it, these seals can be dodgy and will let water in when it rains, as the Fabia floor coverings are dual layer, ie. carpet, then fairly thick underpadding, you may not notice the wetness, if you suspect leaking, try feeling under the carpet itself which will confirm it.

A dealer will sort this out quickly if you relay the specific problem.

I just thought with all the bleedin rain we have had, some of you might want to check this out so you don't get damp.

:bttt:

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
Old news, there was even a 'how to' on here describing how to reseal the carriers, but that info seems to have been removed now.

How inconsiderate of the previous poster ;) :P :thumbup:

You'll find an outline of the procedure here but don't take it for gospel as I've yet to finish the article.

Door Carrier Repair fabia-vrs.com - The Comprehensive Fabia vRS Resource Site

Edited by DGW
Link updated.

Ahh I think thats an old type of repair and now out of date ;)

Yes your are right, I do have the new information kindly provided by a anonymous contributer. I will endevour to sort out the newer method soon.

My 2004 leaks too. So even though Skoda knew they had a design fault and/or build fault years ago, they did absolutely nothing about it, which to my mind means they're still a comedy car company at worst, and at best undeserving of their contemporary reputation for quality and no better then the rest of the European bunch sitting halfway up the JD Power table.

• Like 1

My 54-plate Fabia's just started leaking from the NSR door too, so it's not just 2002 models :thumbdwn:

Have put mastic putty along the bottom of the carrier and a couple of inches up each side, as I don't know when I'll next be going to the dealers. Looking at the way the bits fit together, that might even be a good enough fix in which case I may not even bother getting it done "properly"...

Just like my rattly doors.

And the broken bits on Mrs Ap0gee's car!

Who needs Haynes when you've got Briskoda!?! :):thumbup:

• Like 1

My 2004 leaks too. So even though Skoda knew they had a design fault and/or build fault years ago, they did absolutely nothing about it, which to my mind means they're still a comedy car company at worst, and at best undeserving of their contemporary reputation for quality and no better then the rest of the European bunch sitting halfway up the JD Power table.

It seems to be only the VW era cars that leak. Maybe Skoda should have continued building good cars like the Estelle and Rapid?;)

This is not just a problem with the older plate cars. I have a 06 plate fabia vrs with the exact same problem of leaky doors. The two rear doors were leaking badly, i noticed a bit too late and by the time i put it into the local garage to get 'repaired' they had to replace the carpets and underlay in the rear:eek: along with attempting to fix the dodgy seals.

BUT

Unfortunatly the garage only fixed 1 seal, leaving the other leaky. They also took the door cards off the front doors (i'd imagine to check if they were leaking) and put them back on, leaving the front left speaker buggered, both doors rattley and a scratch on the gear stick-JOY!! Its going back in for all of it to get fixed- after i went off on one with the Aftersales Quality Controller about it.

Grr.

Rant over :)

Think it depends on what garage u go to. My local (St Andrews) say it's a common fault. At the end of the day the cash to fix it isn't coming out of the garage's pockets - its Skoda UK that are paying for it.

If its a problem that can be sorted post manufacture then why don't Skoda save some money (and annoyance on the consumers part) and 'fix' it before the car is sent out and sold?

Strange business practice me thinks :confused:

Anyone had a problem with the front doors? I sealed the rear offside door but still had a wet rear carpet with leaks which seemed to be coming through the rear half of the front door and dribbling down to the rear carpet. Front carpet was dry.

But beware the Workshop Manual as it says you need to take out the front door lock before removing a front door carrier. This involved me 3 hours of extra work, by the time I had retrieved the lock retaining ring and refitted it, when in fact removing the lock is completely unnecessary.

Removing the lock might make it easier to remove and reattach the inner door lock release rod and the cable to electric lock but it can just be done with lock in situ.

My Fabia is X reg.

:thumbdwn: Our Fabia is a 2002 h/b and ALL the doors have leaked, in fact the n/s rear is leaking now so a job for the better weather. It looks as though its a major problem and its a case of finding the leak within the 3 year warrenty for the dealer to sort or DIY with some 'Tigerseal' (Don't use !) and breaking those little plastic clips !:rofl:

Use some caravan outer seal mastic as you can break it when it leaks again !!!!!

I also have exacltley the same problem with my 03 fabia. Carpets not wet so could not figure out what the problem was. Tried to remove the rear door trim but struggled. Have had a bad problem with condensation and also some mold on the seats.

I am better taking this to the dealer to sort rather than trying to solve the problem? it is out of warranty but as it is a known issue will they still fix it. Had similar porblem with my scenic known issues with the pencil coils and they fixed for free out of warranty.

Sorted this on one door the other day. Unfortunately they all leak! All I did was run some bathroom sealant round the carrier. Window has gone a bit mad now though, goes down when it should be going up!

How old's your Fabia? Loony windows can be caused by the CANBUS "crashing" (for want of a better word) on more recent models. You're supposed to reset it by disconnecting the battery, but I've found the easiest thing is to find the fuse that is connected to the window in question (fuse 45 rings a bell), pop it out for 10 seconds or so, and then replace it. You might need to "re-train" the one-touch facility, which you do by holding the lever in the up position until the window reaches the top, and holding it there. After a couple of seconds, you'll hear the motor "relax" as it times out, and then you can release the lever...

HTH

The official response from Skoda UK is that there is no known problem with Fabia door leaks. So like me, you are imagining it...:rolleyes: All of you...

So when 98% of members have leaky doors, they shouldnt visit the dealer to get them fixed - you should go to the doctors and ask for a psycologist because we are all seeing things..:rofl:

• Haha 1

i have been told by a skoda dealership that rear leaking doors is a known problem and should be fixed under warranty. my 53 plate vrs needs it done i just haven't been able to find the time to get the car in to be fixed.

i found on my old fabia the "water leaking into heating system and draining into passenger footwell" problem due to leaves clogging the drains below the windscreen. this was also a known problem by the dealership however they said it wasnt covered by the warranty and only cleaned the drains once as a good-will gesture.

Just had my 2005 Fabia vRS in the dealers last week for

os rear wet carpets ........ told me its a known problem

and they removed all four door cards and put silicon

sealer .. its not rained since .... so dont know if the

problem is sorted . they also removed the water from

the carpet with a wet vac pick up .. so far no windows

misting :)