vrs supercharger noise

nath17t

i work for skoda and on a recant trip to the traning center in milton keynes i was looking over a twincharged engine on a stand and there is a hefty peace of sound deadening over the top of the supercharger and it is dead easy to take off with it being a eaton supercharger it might make a realy good noise just thort someone might want to give it a try

There is a guide somewhere on removing this insulation. It isn't backward replaceable as you have to effectively cut it off. Apparently it did make ur supercharger whine louder :) I don't remember any heat differences being discussed

The diagram literally translates it to 'sound damper/absporbtion', no mention of heat on the official diagram.

I think I have read reports somewhere on reduced intake temperatures after removing this, not sure how true that is though.

I've taken it all of except 9 which needs the supercharger to be removed as the bolts go through it.

It does definitely whine louder but i have removed alot of other sound deadening aswell. Not sure if its enough reduction in temps to make a lot of difference but every little helps.

• 2 years later...

Just tried this but can't seem to get any of the clips undone, managed to get the side pod off slightly but not all of the way.. plenty of skin lost off my arms :(

Any more tips to get the main supercharger cover off? I haven't got any decent jacks to get the car off the ground either. 

• 1 month later...

Food for thought. Although to be fair, I would just like to get mine back from the dealers sometime this year..... :(

But, in terms of mod's, making the wizz banger under the bonnet louder (Not bothered about improving the performance) does interest me.

Also thinking about a noisier wast gate and a Mill-tec too.... Proper old school....

I have the boring car to be sensible in...

The wastegate is built into the turbine housing - the wastegate actuator can be changed to a forge one. If you want dump noises the forge adapter is the way to go. These can be had for around 30quid if you look around. I have one going if interested. :)

Back on topic - does the insulation around the SC help with stopping quick changes in temperature? Or is it there purely for noise reduction purposes?

• Like 1

The wastegate is built into the turbine housing - the wastegate actuator can be changed to a forge one. If you want dump noises the forge adapter is the way to go. These can be had for around 30quid if you look around. I have one going if interested. :)

Back on topic - does the insulation around the SC help with stopping quick changes in temperature? Or is it there purely for noise reduction purposes?

Cool - Fancy fitting it? many beer tokens of course  :cocktail:

Looking at the pictures; and I'm far from an expert, there does not appear to be any thermal rejection/reflection film/tin foil ect... If that housing was for thermal properties then I would expect to see some additional thermal elements to it. My guess is that it's for acoustic, and possibly minor thermal benefits only. Not forgetting of course the physical protection it would offer to the component by way of it's sheer bulk. FWIW

Cool - Fancy fitting it? many beer tokens of course :cocktail:

I always enjoy working on cars. :) I don't use mine as a do too many long journeys of which are at 2am so some piece and quiet is needed. The adapter did make grin when in the mood however.

Pm if your interested :) I do like a good road trip too :)