yeti lights upgrade

Oilrag

Hi Guys, re posting this query in correct forum this time!

just bought a 2010 skoda yeti 2.0 TDi 2WD experience (Eire) and liking experience (pardon pun) so far. One thing that already identified is the possibility of changing out the bulbs to brighter whiter versions for the current H4's, DRL P13W ETC. I have scanned some of the forums but not quite sure if able to swap out easily due to possible CANBUS issues?. Can you please guide me to what straight swap bulbs I could get to increase light and whitness without going down the HID route due to cost -just yet anyway!. FYI on previous golf Tdi car I upgraded all front lights to osram night breakers 90%+ xenon lights (incl h11 spots) and philips blue vision 501 side light bulbs and was happy with light output. I am more after the visibility than looks but prefer whiter light.

eg can these be straight swapped for DRL bulbs?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2eb39e9411

What would be really useful is is able to break down each bulb main,dipped,drl,side etc and suggest suitable better alternative bulb with pics.

Hi

Unfortunately the yeti only uses the same bulb for main & dipped an. H4.

I've not changed the DRL's so can't comment.

Nightbreakers or Philips extreme are a cheap upgrade to the lights which many people have done.

I bought some canbus error free W5W bulbs for the interior and side lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, and welcome, glad you like your Yeti.

Headlights: I've replaced my standard bulbs with Osram Nightbreaker Plus, and found them a vast improvement. Others report similarly of the equivalent Phillips bulbs. No CanBus problems.

DRL's: your link doesn't work, but if these are the US LED replacements someone did try them but found they wouldn't fit! I have found no other replacements in the EU, having had past problems with the DRL's!!

Side Lights: any normal replacement bulb should be fine, but LED's need to be the proper CanBus type, and looking in other model's sections here some have had problems with them overheating and failing.

Rear lights: as above.

Interior lights: these don't seem to be on the CanBus circuit so anything should be OK.

HID conversions are a bone of contention. In the UK there are doubts about their legality, and they are about to be included in our MOT. There can also be problems with them causing a lot of light scatter if they aren't the correct length with the reflector. Personally it is not a route I would take.

Hi, thanks for feedback/replies.

Glad to hear options to upgrade bulbs with straight swap and will look to upgrade the h4 bulbs with Osram night breakers plus ones. Reassured to hear no canbus errors. Having driven at night with standard bulbs light is pretty poor when used to night breakers on old golf.

Were the led sidelights used any of below from ABD? Can you maybe send links to bulbs used so sure looking at tried and tested ones with no issues.

Key Details

SKU 501LED5XPW-1 501LED13LWW-1 501LED13SLW

501 LED Extreme Power 1.5W 360 degree (white, blue or red) 501 Long LED Extreme Power 2W 360 Degree White 501 Super Long 13 LED Extreme Power 360 Degree

Anybody change out the h7 fog bulbs for LEDs?

Hmm!

So the only way to make them CanBus "safe" is to scotchblock a resister in series with them! Not a very satisfying way of doing it.

Re LED fog light bulbs, the only ones I have seen have either been VERY expensive Hella ones, which weren't yet EU approved or some nasty Chinese copies. Personally I would say a pair of Osram Nightbreaker Plus H7 bulbs would be just as good, and a lot cheaper.

Hmm!

So the only way to make them CanBus "safe" is to scotchblock a resister in series with them! Not a very satisfying way of doing it.

Or disconnect DRLs as in handbook and add

My link

and wire them directly without resistor.

Not like the Black Yeti running around Ongar, Essex way that has the original DRLs + some LED ones in the dummy air vents, illegal, only two allowed.

Regulation No. 48

Uniform provisions concerning the approval of vehicles with regard to the installation of lighting and light-signalling devices Section 6.19.2. Number Two.

Am I boring or what?

Sorry, Blum, but firstly that is how the standard DRL's work anyway, and secondly it wouldn't remove the problem of using LED bulbs in the DRL's. It does not provide the increased resistance needed for the CanBus system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controller_area_network

Basically it is a wiring system that only uses 1 wire between all the circuits, but sends an electronic tag to each component to turn it on. It also senses how much power an item is using, and if this is below a certain level can produce a warning, such as when a bulb blows. LED's trigger this because their resistance is low, so take less power.

Upgrading interior bulbs: how the heck do you remove the interior lights over the rear passenger doors without damaging them, or their mounting? Advice here some time ago said you lever them out, front (ie front of car) first. I've tried but they stubbornly refuse to let go. I daren't lever any harder for fear of breaking something!

I believe that (or similar problem) has been covered here

Ah, thanks for that. It's a post that I must have missed. I'll give it a try tomorrow (gently - as it says!)

Looks as though it's the "flat bracket bolted through the front bumper behind the numberplate" solution that's was mentioned here about a year ago, though I don't recall anyone in the UK posting that they'd actually done it!

Edited by speedsport

I was sent one of those plates which has now gone to an engineering company in the Black Country, for them to have a look at and possibly modify. However the one I had was for 2 lights, as an odd number is illegal in the UK.

I was sent one of those plates which has now gone to an engineering company in the Black Country, for them to have a look at and possibly modify. However the one I had was for 2 lights, as an odd number is illegal in the UK.

Saw someone with lights like this today, set up I can only assume to blind speed cameras.