fl climatronic retrofit

I've managed to retrofit this unit into my scout. I've reset the unit and it seems to be working. I have done the wiring mod.

Just a dumb question what happens if the two smaller connectors are put into the wrong socket?

I.e. B into C and vice versa?

Am quite interested in doing this myself. One slight concern is that I like to drive around with the temp at 16 or 17 but it seems that the temp range on this FL unit is a little narrower (18-26), plus LO and HI. Is that correct?

Cheers

Adam

Well having been driving around for a day now after the mod I can say that yes the temp range is narrower (18-28), plus LO and HI. If you have the AC on then it is very cold, just cool with the AC OFF, and if you turn the whole unit to OFF it just blows in the ambient temperature from outside. At least that is my experience after having done the self-check/reset procedures as stated on the scirocconet link posted earlier in the topic. Hope that helps

Just got a Bolero from a 2011 fl which is going into my '58 L&K, and I know that the PDC and Climate displays don't work with it without extensive rewiring which just ain't worth the cost, I presume, cos the Bolero's weren't around with the pre-fl.

BUT does anyone know if I were to stick THIS unit in, would the climate display come back to life on my Bolero screen, as both the stereo AND climatronic would have come from a fl? I only ask what might appear to be obvious because the only difference is that the ColumbusCOLUMBUS WAS available on the pre-fl so I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work with or without this mod/with either climatronic units?

Does that question make sense to you guys??

To summarise: if I replace mine with THIS climatronic unit in my PRE-FL with my new FL BOLERO, would the climate display work or not?

• 3 weeks later...

These FL units with heated seats are now only £87 or thereabouts on ebay - see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230729478568?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_500wt_1202. I've just taken the plunge. Note, however, if you need a black trim piece, they are £65.14 from the dealer, and more including delivery from skodaparts.co.uk, so its a £150 mod.

Cheers

Adam

Just got a Bolero from a 2011 fl which is going into my '58 L&K, and I know that the PDC and Climate displays don't work with it without extensive rewiring which just ain't worth the cost, I presume, cos the Bolero's weren't around with the pre-fl.

BUT does anyone know if I were to stick THIS unit in, would the climate display come back to life on my Bolero screen, as both the stereo AND climatronic would have come from a fl? I only ask what might appear to be obvious because the only difference is that the ColumbusCOLUMBUS WAS available on the pre-fl so I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work with or without this mod/with either climatronic units?

Does that question make sense to you guys??

To summarise: if I replace mine with THIS climatronic unit in my PRE-FL with my new FL BOLERO, would the climate display work or not?

the display should show the heating and from looking at the gti site the heated seats should still work

• 2 weeks later...

My new FL climatronic part arrived from Prague today (http://www.ebay.co.u...8#ht_500wt_1202) - I paid only £90, not much more than the replacement trim at £65!

But for £155 total and a simple wiring mod which took me 15 mins I now have the new unit fully functional and adding a touch more class to the centre console. Delighted to see it working on the columbus with no coding necessary, and all working as it should.

It does have the auxiliary heating button (not shown in ebay picture) and the automatic air quality sensing option which are not relevant to my car but these simply turn themselves off, presumably on failing to detect the necessary equipment.

If you like the idea of this, it really is straightforward. My only slight issue is the temperature range is only 18-26, not the 16-29 I had previously, but the LO option is lovely and cold.

Adam

Edited by adamal
  • Like 1

What SW is your Columbus? Does it have to be one of the more recent SW's to display the info on the Columbus can anybody tell me?

I think mine is running an early version and don't want to risk updating it in case I brick it...

http://www.my-gti.co...and-information

I upgraded to 3814 no problem, but it is important to know the revision you are on. I had an A unit and this needs different software to the B and C units.

You may also need to run the MFSW fix if you have steering wheel buttons.

You might also need to be wary of the battery drain problems although I think the software now addresses this.

Edited by adamal

Also note I had to reset unit with a few second hold long of AC + rear window heater on turning on engine (until the fan kicked in). Before that the AC didn't work.

Adam

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just done this upgrade and it looks so much better than the old green LCD display of the old unit.

I have figured out what the new buttons do I.e. Low Auto and Hi auto but does the automatic air quality recirculating button work in a pre face lift as I don't remember having the auto feature on the pre fl climatronic.

Also on a side not after removing the top middle air vents to install my MDI after refitting them air doesn't seem to be coming out the vents now unless you direct the air there or set it to warp factor 10 on fan settings. Is this normal? Because pre removal a lot of air came out the vents on auto. Any ideas?

The air quality button doesn't work (and I've discovered, logs an error in VCDS).

Have you tried the reset in post 40 - I had weak hot air only after my retrofit until I did this (bear in mind it was summer and actually it was the cold AC not working - hard to spot at this time of year!)

If you have access to VCDS, I'd be interested if you also log a second error too - see my post here:

http://www.briskoda....41-fault-codes/

Thanks

Adam

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Got my FL-Climate installed and it seems to be working fine. Not that cool but guess its time to get my air-con re-charged. Looking at my old logs I did have Refrigerant Pressure - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

When I scan the car with VCDS its giving

08-Auto HVAC -- Status: Malfunction 1010

and

Under CAN Gateway

01320 - Control Module for Climatronic (J255)

Any ideas? Is this because I have not updated the Gateway yet?

Edited by Rob_Quads

• 1 month later...

Can anyone point me to exactly what color wires I should be changing for the PIN16 to 20 mod? im going to re-attempt this tomorrow and see if I have the same problem with the Flaps closing but want to be sure... I think pin 20 is the black/yellow one far right, but any ideas on the color of PIN16?

Thanks

Edited by Dread1977

Thats what I was after Rob, thanks alot fella... Ill double check what Ed has advised about the motors behind the glove box, and then as long as I have the 1 motor ill go ahead and swap the wires etc.. If i have the 2 motors im scrapping the idea as its too much arse ache to wire the motors in parallel etc etc..

Nice detail on the wiring though... Im guessing you didnt have any issues with having to change motors/flaps in your car? my car is MY2007 so only slightly newer, cant figure out why I would have anything different from yours?

Still, we will see come tomorrow once ive done the glove box investigation!!

Thanks again