how bad/good is your car in the snow

Back ten years go and further, we had RWD cars, and I knew how to drive them but the OH hadn't quite got the hang of it.

One night she got home and said that she had left our 520i BMW halfway down a steepish hill half a mile from our house.

I recovered it by simply pulling away in 2nd gear and easing it up the hill.

If you look at the sort of tyres we had 10, 20 years ago they were a much more aggressive tread pattern, so they were'nt so bad in the snow (or as good as modern tyres are now in warmer weather).

Modern tyres however are now subjected to magazine/internet tyre test where they need to perform well and as each manufacturer struggles to keep up they end up with more and more polarisation -ie the summers become more track/grip/handling focussed, making them worse in the cold. That in itself is not a problem as long as you have winters too for the cold.

Unfortunately some folks are stuck in the past "i never needed winters in the past .. etc" when they are in fact recalling older tyre tech and forgetting that their modern tyre is quite different, and not at all suited to the cold weather we have in the uk.

• Like 3

I am confused by the fact that the people use summer tires in the winter!  :thumbdown:

And claims that no problems with them! :peek:

I live in the region in Germany where snow is a rarity, but no one would ride with summer tires. If only because of the summer tire already at + 5C ° no longer fulfills its functions.I think as the ultimate option is the all season tires.

I use Falken Euro All Season AS200 very happy so far,no problems with grip on our snowy roads and do great job on dry surface.

A few pics: 

20141227_103500.jpg

20141227_104139.jpg

IMG_20141227_WA0009.jpg

Another vote for the Falken Euro All Season AS200. I use them on my Scout. Very happy.

I have Hankook Winter Icept Evos on the vRS at this time of year.

• Like 1

If you look at the sort of tyres we had 10, 20 years ago they were a much more aggressive tread pattern, so they were'nt so bad in the snow (or as good as modern tyres are now in warmer weather).

I used Pirelli P6000's on the BMW (and on the Mondeo which replaced it). The tread pattern for that particular tyre has not changed at all since it was introduced,and I would doubt that the compound has changed very much either.

For driving in the snow, I would either make a decision to leave the car at home, or let 5 - 10 PSI out of each tyre and reduce the speed accordingly, plus adjusting driving style to suit the conditions - higher gear/lower revs, no sharp braking, increased distance to car in front etc.

Ignus, living in BDR, you have no choice.

The vast majority of drivers have zero interest in their car other than as a box to transport them and their stuff. 

They don't read car magazines or fora.  They just scan past general interest tv or newspaper articles too.

They don't get only wearing out one set of tyres at once while the others are in the garage.

Unless it is made compulsory, take up will be low.  In my time, that would also apply to bike helmets, seatbelts, drink driving etc.  I would add mobiles, but that seems to be one which proves the rule.

Here in Fenland the winters are often quite mild, until they're not.  Siberia comes to visit every few years.  As we know, its not just snow, but the persistant low temperatures which make M&S tyres - either full winters or all season - worthwhile.

I suspect it is a matter of cost for most.

With 38.5 million cars on the road in the UK, the stats don't really reflect the need for legislation for winter tyres.

Let's face it, ignoring driving in snow, the fact that summer tyres have less grip, have longer stopping distances and don't corner as well, all these can be negated by driving slower and taking more care.

Ignus, living in BDR, you have no choice.

The vast majority of drivers have zero interest in their car other than as a box to transport them and their stuff. 

They don't read car magazines or fora.  They just scan past general interest tv or newspaper articles too.

They don't get only wearing out one set of tyres at once while the others are in the garage.

Unless it is made compulsory, take up will be low.  In my time, that would also apply to bike helmets, seatbelts, drink driving etc.  I would add mobiles, but that seems to be one which proves the rule.

Here in Fenland the winters are often quite mild, until they're not.  Siberia comes to visit every few years.  As we know, its not just snow, but the persistant low temperatures which make M&S tyres - either full winters or all season - worthwhile.

The Road Traffic Regulations in Germany say no special period is prescribed for winter tires. You can drive all year long with summer tires, but in case of accident Insurance won't cover your damages etc.

It's all about Road Safety, you can't drive safe in winter with inappropriate tires,simple is that! 

Some amateur tire test made in UK ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STaximkaQxo

I have winters on as I bought it with them. Whilst it is much better on snow and ice at getting out my street I can't say i had much bother on low profile summer tyres before.

My biggest problem with winters is they are ******* appalling if you push the car when conditions are fine. Fling in 300 pounds of torque and a heavy foot and I can make them spin on a wet road in 5th. Above 90 and the tread block movement is horrendous. And yes I know they aren't meant for driving like that but let's face it when you haven't had a track day in 3 months and your bikes are off the road you get bored easily poodling about.

If you live in the wilderness thend yes get winters. If like me you live central Scotland like me where they grit the roads then don't bother. As if it's that bad you can't get around those who don't have winters.

Edited by john999boy
Offensive language removed

My biggest problem with winters is they are ******* appalling if you push the car when conditions are fine. Fling in 300 pounds of torque and a heavy foot and I can make them spin on a wet road in 5th. Above 90 and the tread block movement is horrendous. And yes I know they aren't meant for driving like that ...

What tyres are they? As with any other (summer) tyres you get what you pay for .. some are better than others, some are more suited to super-cold weather rather than the mildly frosty weather we get here.

The first set of winters i had on swmbo's 3 series were a set if second hand super extreme bridgestone bizzaks, awesome in snow or slush but horrible when we had a dry day or the temperature rose above say 8 or 9 degrees - you could really feel the blocks squirming. Swmbo hated them (although i actually enjoyed the car with less rear grip but i accept that's not for everyone..)

For the octavia I've had two sets of winters, both billed as "performance" tyres. These are not only awesome in snow, ice, cold, wet weather etc but they work just fine on the odd day when we have +10 degrees or so. I would say they are only marginally less grippy than my previous set of summers. They feel totally planted, no squirm, no wheelspin and before you say it, yes i give them a right pasting whenever possible.

Current Goodyear Ultragrip 8 Performance; really really good tyre, wet or dry, warm or cold.

Tyres have also got a lot wider and lower profile over the last 20 years which doesn't help with driving in snow

I think that my old BMW tyres (205/65 or 225/60) were a lot larger/more low pro than the 195/65 section on my Octavia.

What tyres are they? As with any other (summer) tyres you get what you pay for .. some are better than others, some are more suited to super-cold weather rather than the mildly frosty weather we get here.

The first set of winters i had on swmbo's 3 series were a set if second hand super extreme bridgestone bizzaks, awesome in snow or slush but horrible when we had a dry day or the temperature rose above say 8 or 9 degrees - you could really feel the blocks squirming. Swmbo hated them (although i actually enjoyed the car with less rear grip but i accept that's not for everyone..)

For the octavia I've had two sets of winters, both billed as "performance" tyres. These are not only awesome in snow, ice, cold, wet weather etc but they work just fine on the odd day when we have +10 degrees or so. I would say they are only marginally less grippy than my previous set of summers. They feel totally planted, no squirm, no wheelspin and before you say it, yes i give them a right pasting whenever possible.

Current Goodyear Ultragrip 8 Performance; really really good tyre, wet or dry, warm or cold.

Falkens so not too end. I spend a good few grand in tyres each year, mainly for the track. Having winters is the bottom of my priorities list I'd sooner have a decent set of track tyres.

I think that my old BMW tyres (205/65 or 225/60) were a lot larger/more low pro than the 195/65 section on my Octavia.

A comparable 'family' car from 30+ years ago might be the MkV Cortina with, for example, 185/70R13 tyres fitted to the premium models whereas 195/65 on an Octavia puts it more at the shopping trolley end.

16" steels with 205x55x16 Continental WinterContact TS850 all round - no problem in winter.

Had TS830 on for 4 years before these and they were excellent.

Winter tyres are well worth it - the cost is spread over several years.

• Like 3

Come on! AllSeason tires cost ~20% more than summer tires and road safety all year long! ;)

But i already have perfectly fine summer tyres.

So i'd have to buy another set of wheels and tyres. I need 19" wheels to clear brakes, having a quick look on ebay winter tyres are going to be ~£800 a set. Then find some alloys.

Say £1k for a set of winter wheels (ok secondhand may be cheaper) which for the sake of driving slower and more caution isn't worth it.

To answer the initial question..

I have 225/35/19 Achillies stretched onto a 9j wheel all round. And there fine lol

My Octavia was excellent when I had it. On its winter tyres.

The cost argument is a nonsensical fallacy, if you've ever had to replace a set of any tyres due to them wearing out. While your winters are on, your summers aren't wearing out, so will last twice as long. In the same period of time you would wear out two sets of summer tyres, you will wear out one set of summers and one set of winters. Add to that that generally winter tyres are cheaper as they're smaller and you're saving money. Never mind the cost of any bumps you might avoid, or lost income due to being unable to travel to work.

• Like 4

I've just convinced a friend of mine to get winter wheels and tyres.

She was complaining about her terrible drive to work yesterday in the snow.

So basically she needs her car every day for work, she lives in a hilly area and she drives a rear wheel drive Mercedes C class!

She's ordered a complete wheel and tyre set from Mytyres.co.uk. I've guaranteed her it will make a huge difference.

Just amazes me that people take no responsibility for it. It's expected that the council will clear the roads so we can go about our business. If it's that important for you to go about your business then take some responsibility and get winter tyres!

We haven't bothered up to now as we don't commute or live in a hilly area and if it came to it we can get the bus or even walk to work etc and do without the car!

Phil

I have winters on as I bought it with them. Whilst it is much better on snow and ice at getting out my street I can't say i had much bother on low profile summer tyres before.

My biggest problem with winters is they are ******* appalling if you push the car when conditions are fine. Fling in 300 pounds of torque and a heavy foot and I can make them spin on a wet road in 5th. Above 90 and the tread block movement is horrendous. And yes I know they aren't meant for driving like that but let's face it when you haven't had a track day in 3 months and your bikes are off the road you get bored easily poodling about.

If you live in the wilderness thend yes get winters. If like me you live central Scotland like me where they grit the roads then don't bother. As if it's that bad you can't get around those who don't have winters.

Can't decide whether this is a serious post or not

If it was meant to be, it's 'kin' hilarious :)

• Like 1