140bhp Yeti 4x4 question

HorneyMX5

Hi All,

Currently been looking at buying one of the above after ruling out a Freelandar2 on costs to run and have read some very useful info on this site.

One I have my eye on is a Sept 2009 140 4x4. Now from my reading I understand there's a change in engines for this model in 2009 but I can't find anything that details what those differences are (MPG, tax etc). Is a sept 09 one going to be the older engine?

Any able to help? Cheers. :)

Nick

Cheers, info on the earlier engine is very thin on the ground. 

I'm looking to buy one for daily duties and towing my race car. The difference in tow capacity isn't a problem as 1800kgs is still fine for an MX5 on a trailer but I just can't find much on the differences in MPG and any issues between the launch engine and the MY10 engine. I do 25,000 miles a year so 3 or 4 mpg makes quite a difference to my wallet.

The 2009 I have my eye on is top spec with PA and the Pano roof which really appeals but it's strong money for a 6 year old car. These things do seem to hold their value don't they!

Edited by HorneyMX5

What you have to look is the optimal maintenance and the regular change of the different fluids of it; the best is every 15000-20000 km and not the suggested 30000!!!  Yeti is a strong device for everyday storm, I assure you (mine is sept 2010 CFJA motor).....

TBH the difference in the engine specs of the 140 are minor and do not appear to have affected the excellent fuel consumption figures at all, so you are worrying too much.

My 10 reg 140 has given 46 mpg average over 89k miles.

Thanks, I'm a bit anal on the details when it comes to parting with £12k for a 6 year old car. I want to make sure I knwo exactly what I'm getting myself into. :)

Edited by HorneyMX5
  • Like 1

The 2009 I have my eye on is top spec with PA and the Pano roof which really appeals but it's strong money for a 6 year old car. These things do seem to hold their value don't they!

Indeed they do seem to hold their value. What are the Yeti alternatives that don't hold their value? The Citeron C5 of the small SUV world?

Thanks, I'm a bit anal on the details when it comes to parting with £12k for a 6 year old car. I want to make sure I knwo exactly what I'm getting myself into. :)

Hi Nick 

we managed to get a 61 plate 170 Elegance with 60k on from a local dealers for similar money, its a manual and has a few extra's (no pan roof sadly) before you shell out make sure you shop around and see whats available, dealers are doing some good offers on brand new ones too if you'd consider PCP :) 

Recarouk, the same recarouk from back in the Minifinity days?

This is the car in question, got an appointment to view on Sunday: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201503041417441/usedcars

yes mate the one and the same :) really chuffed to see you're still kicking about, followed your MX5 thread over on RR and small world you're hankering after a Yeti :)

the link looks a real tidy example mate, and apart from the wheels identical to ours:

20150215_133437_zpsphwpynek.jpg

20150215_133426_zpszzbjvxu2.jpg

20150215_133518_zpsu52e4sxn.jpg

20150215_133533_zpsmjyvwcya.jpg

they really are a great all rounder, and the CR engine is a peach, pulls like an absolute train, we love the car to bits :) so much so we've just ordered a brand new one, 140 engine, Elegance trim in candy white, i love the little extra touches like the folding mirrors on the remote, and the puddle lights in the bottom of the mirrors, it really is a trick bit of kit. 

i do agree with you that £12k on a 6 year old motor is a wedge to throw down, i had a quick shuffle on the Used car locator for you and the black one turned up along with a Blue 10 plater, slightly less miles and a little cheaper at £11995 but they do look better in black if im being honest. 

really good to hear from you buddy, good luck tomorrow let us know how it went.

Bought it. Got it for £12,200 with 4 new tyres (it was on winters!), a fresh MOT, 12 months Skoda warranty and a cam belt and water pump as they had never been done. Hopefully picking it up next Saturday after all the work has been completed. 

• Like 2

Regarding your tie hitch. I tow a Caterham on a BJ trailer. I got a Westfalia kit but the tow hitch was way too high with the front two wheels of the trailer hardly in contact on the road. Someone on here (I forget who) did some research and found the VW Tiguan removeable hitch is a better height. I bought one and pluggedit in and it is now level and tows great. The MX 5 will be heavier so the leveller the better!

westfalia fixed towbar fitted same as above, I fitted some sturdy box section etc under trailer hitch, lowered well,i have a marlin, about 1 tonne which now rides level with the appropriate nose weight, just another route to the same result!

Collection day has arrived!

Now those of you with a trained eye will notice this Yeti is not black and is also a facelift. This is because when I went to collect mine it wouldn't start until a jump pack was used. CDG have lent me this until they can sort mine and deliver it to me. Disappointed not to have my new car but can't complain at the service or attitude of the dealer which has been excellent so far.

oooo that looks lovely that Nick :) Elegance spec? or is it an SE? we collected our new one on Wednesday and there are a fair few differences :)

Not sure in spec but no leather, no sunroof, no auto lights, no sunglasses holder. It's a TDI DSG. Might be a 170 as it shifts in S Mode. Lol.