The 280PS Thread

Looks like I'll need to spec heated seats then..

In our country we don't have think about that option, I think even the cheapest car on market has heated seats as standard. Quite understandable since we've just, like every winter, experienced temperatures below -40 c...

• Like 1

Just ordered a 280 L & K combi.  What a car and engine.  I liked the 220TSi as well but the 280 is just more and with 4 wheel drive which is nice.  Now for the long wait.

I had a Fabia mark 1 elegance estate, which had heated seats, in 13 years only used them a couple of times.

This will be the first car I have ever owned with leather seats, when I tried the car it was cold, you need heated seats with leather that's for sure. ;)

• Like 1

Hi all - many thanks for the many contributions to this thread which have been really helpful.

My current car is a VW Scirocco with the 170PS 2.0 TDI. It's coming to the end of its PCP and I'm after something with a lot more space plus I'm done with diesel. I have a Tesla Model 3 reservation but a) I don't think it's going to have enough space for me and b) I suspect by the time it's available to order it's going to be £45K+ to get what I'd want.

So after a lot of head scratching the Superb 280 combi looks like it would be the perfect car for the next 2-3 years.

I have a test drive in a demo car tomorrow in L&K trim - exactly what I'd want (although it's in jungle green so have to see what that looks like in real life; I've always had blue cars in the past...) so will report back with my impressions. From everything I've read in past 44 pages, I expect they will be good :)

The Superb 280 and Fabia III come with a battery that is too small IMO for the car. I removed our Fabia's battery and installed the one from my Superb III (and installed an even larger AGM one in the Superb).

Now both cars' start/stop works perfectly and I don't have low battery issues anymore even when I leave the cars sitting for a few days.

Just have in mind that replacing the batteries on both cars with larger/different type ones required VCDS coding (took a few minutes max)

Original Fabia III 1.2tsi battery - EFB 59Ah 640A 

post-87006-0-44350500-1484303014_thumb.jpg

Original Superb III 280 battery (now in Fabia) - EFB 69Ah 680A 

post-87006-0-39300800-1484303018_thumb.jpg

New Superb battery - AGM 70Ah 760Ah

post-87006-0-92679700-1484303021_thumb.jpg

Edited by micloi
  • Like 2

Hi all - thought I'd just drop in an update for benefit of future researchers.

In the end I've gone a different route and picked up a mint VW Phaeton for £16K. Lot of car for the money and I don't mind the potential of high repair costs.

Before that, I did test drive three versions of the Superb though, the 280, the 1.4TSI and the 190PS TDI. The 280 was far and away my favourite. I really wanted to like the 1.4TSI as I really wanted petrol and the residuals on the 280 aren't great. But as you might expect the 1.4 feels rather weedy by comparison and you really have to rev it to pick up pace. The 190PS diesel was a much better fit for the car, although you're back to the tractor sound on startup.

If you're here considering a 280 though; I highly recommend a test drive; but be warned you won't want another engine once you've tasted it!

Edited by EdMoore
  • Like 2

If you're here considering a 280 though; I highly recommend a test drive; but be warned you won't want another engine once you've tasted it!

That’s the way it works. :)

On several occasions in the past I also considered going the ‘cheap’ Phaeton route; the value for money seems exceptional. However, the now outdated infotainment & other systems would bother me, as would the vague steering (that’s based on having recently driven the Phaeton’s Bentley Continental twin). But anything the Bentley might offer in perceived ‘quality’, the Phaeton matches for less than half the money: a no-brainer in that sense.

That’s the way it works. :)

On several occasions in the past I also considered going the ‘cheap’ Phaeton route; the value for money seems exceptional. However, the now outdated infotainment & other systems would bother me, as would the vague steering (that’s based on having recently driven the Phaeton’s Bentley Continental twin).

Yeah the Phaeton is undoubtably a 'wafter' when it comes to driving feel. I'm told you get used to the steering, which is servotronic so speed dependent etc. Mine is a recent model so infotainment is as good as it got in 2013, but no niceties like CarPlay and rather sluggish maps compared to the latest tech.

On the other hand, the luxury levels, surplus of buttons and widgets, and fit and finish are in a different class. Just have to hope the engine doesn't blow up ;)

Edited by EdMoore

Yep :)

Totally irrelevant, but I've driven another 280 today & it didn't feel sluggish.......

Not as quick as the R, but quite close, & more fun to drive than it's competition. 

The car has app 4k miles on the clock, perhaps it's 'cos it's run-in?

Long-term fuel consumption was app 29 mpg, it drives like a big Octavia & has a decent spec ( SE-L + DCC, paddles, KESY & big wheels), but

the price has increased by £2k since the test drive.

Strange, I'll have to enquire if the cost to change has changed, watch this space......

DC.

• Like 1

Mine has just over 5k miles on it now and goes really well, my only complaint would be the throttle response in normal drive mode , I know that you can do something about that i.e. Audi throttle mod with VCDS or throttle response tuning box as I think Billy Jim has fitted, i would have preferred it to be right out of the box.

I hope that the cost to change is realistic DC :)

Edited by Prykey

Mine has just over 5k miles on it now and goes really well, my only complaint would be the throttle response in normal drive mode , I know that you can do something about that i.e. Audi throttle mod with VCDS or throttle response tuning box as I think Billy Jim has fitted, i would have preferred it to be right out of the box.

I'll just mention again that the VCDS Audi throttle mod mode no perceptible difference to mine, whereas the racechip throttle response gadget has transformed the way it drives. Although it costs £160 or whatever, in the context of a near £40k car it is insignificant. You know you want one!

• Like 1

I know that you can do something about that i.e. Audi throttle mod with VCDS or throttle response tuning box as I think Billy Jim has fitted, i would have preferred it to be right out of the box.

I agree with your sentiment but it appears to be a price to be paid for attaining EURO-6 without resorting to defeat device shenanigans and it's not just the 280 that suffers, it's across the range of engines, petrol and diesel, nor is it restricted to Škoda. A friend who traded in a EURO-5 E Class Mercedes for a EURO-6 engined Mercedes E350 complains of the exact same thing - great in Sport, crap in Drive. I was just pleased to find a working solution available on the market, regardless of the cost, which happened to be £169 including VAT and free shipping last July and it is still the same price now despite the value of the pound dropping against the euro.

• Like 1

It may be a common problem, but perhaps not an unavoidable one. Having driven a Porsche Macan with basically the same engine (in 240ps guise), but with a 7-speed PDK box, I can report that car doesn’t suffer the crap response in Drive.

VW Group needs to ditch the 6-speed DSG and dip into their own parts bin marked ‘PDK’. Or is this perhaps an MQB vs. MLB thing (Macan is MLB)?

It may be a common problem, but perhaps not an unavoidable one. Having driven a Porsche Macan with basically the same engine (in 240ps guise), but with a 7-speed PDK box, I can report that car doesn’t suffer the crap response in Drive.

VW Group needs to ditch the 6-speed DSG and dip into their own parts bin marked ‘PDK’. Or is this perhaps an MQB vs. MLB thing (Macan is MLB)?

It isn't the gearbox that is the issue, it is merely the throttle mapping. Before I got the racechip i found that you could press the pedal a bit, not much happened, press it more, still just wafting along, then press it still more, suddenly it was off like a scalded cat. Very hard to press the pedal enough to go briskly but not so much that it wants to red line in every gear. Whereas with the racechip much more of the action is in the first 1/4 or pedal travel and it just feels right.

It isn't the gearbox that is the issue, it is merely the throttle mapping. Before I got the racechip i found that you could press the pedal a bit, not much happened, press it more, still just wafting along, then press it still more, suddenly it was off like a scalded cat. Very hard to press the pedal enough to go briskly but not so much that it wants to red line in every gear. Whereas with the racechip much more of the action is in the first 1/4 or pedal travel and it just feels right.

This & all the other comments in t'other forums re, throttle response are very interesting.

Problem is, both SWMBO & I don't quite get the point. 

Both yesterday's '66 280 & our '16 Golf seem to behave (in "D") exactly as we would expect.

A gentle touch = gentle progress, push harder, car goes faster, foot on floor = oh ****, I'd better back off..........

I.E. a linear throttle response, making the car easy to drive in traffic, in the lanes or on the highway.

Both my remapped antiquities are similar, although the EOS has very light pedals, so I tend to drive that with lightweight shoes.

Maybe the latest 280's & Golf R's have had their throttle mapping tweaked somewhat but neither of us have any desire to change the throttle response in ny of our cars, we like the 

"gentle but carrying a big stick" approach, it suits our driving styles...............

DC

PS The other Superb 280's that I've driven, (all early build cars on 15 plates)  did feel sluggish but yesterday's '66 SE-L was quiet & docile in traffic, but very responsive as & when required.

App. £15K if I sold them the Superb, probably £19K if I sold the EOS.

Realistically I should be looking for an EOS replacement, something fun-sized but with 4/5 doors 

Cheers Boss, DC

• Like 1

6 month update on my 280.

Really really happy with the car, especially the smile it puts on your face from time to time when a situation comes up. I'm pretty sure we have nearly all left someone behind wondering what just happened!

For a big, long car it is suprisingly easy to clean. MPG has been close to what was quoted, getting 28.5 on average.

Read some reviews before getting the car and some questioned the handling, it is actually better than i was expecting. Nothing sporty but fine for me and the dogs (i have standard factory suspension).

Particularly like the infotainment/stereo/satnav - very good and easy to use.

Sunroof - amazing just amazing. A nice luxury to have.

I didn't know the car was equipped with the radar type cruise control - a good feature which i have used a lot. 

Finally one small downside.

Heated seats only have 1 setting and that feels like it is the lowest setting. Luke warm bum for the time being for me:(

When i went to take it to my nearest VW garage this brought another bigger problem.

Over the course of the last year or two VW have stopped fixing warranty repairs for Skoda. You now have to go to a Skoda garage which for me is not feasible.

Will hope to get the seats sorted on the first service before next winter.