Kenwood Satnav Owners Club

fabiagn

It sounds like there are quite a few of us here with the Kenwood Satnav (GVN-MIB1 / GVN60). So unless there is another thread somewhere, it might be a idea to share points on the use/updates/issues etc. in a new Owners Club thread?

I'll start by asking has anyone managed to use the SD card for updates to Voices, POIs or Vehicles?

cheers

Gus

No problems as of yet everything is fine. no chance of updating mine it's all hidden behind the dash and I ain't as nimble as I used to me .My dealer said if needed they could do it for me.

Cheers

Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Mick 50

No problems with ours yet.

No idea where it was fitted, but I'm guessing behind the glovebox somewhere as the antenna is mounted on top of the N/S dash. Will have to investigate to see if the SD slot is accessible.

Ooh Ooh I have one.

Works fine, have not tried anything fancy with it yet.

I am waiting for the updated maps, as it already appears about a year out of date.

Mine is mounted in the footwell, but will be moved into the glovebox when it goes in for it's first service in March.

Had mine fitted last week took 4 days they were sent the wrong lead twice, had a free loan car though,I'm not that impresed though, i had a renault captur with sat nav before and the updates were easy and safety/speed camera data was included,not so with this unit and they advise to let my dealer do it, more cost,on the face of it i think if i had known this before i would not have had it fitted.

No problems with ours yet.

No idea where it was fitted, but I'm guessing behind the glovebox somewhere as the antenna is mounted on top of the N/S dash. Will have to investigate to see if the SD slot is accessible.

Found it mounted neatly under the glovebox so easy access for SD card updates.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2015 Fabia which has a Kenwood Garmin GVN-MIB sat nav fitted by a local Skoda dealer last November. It was the first one that they had fitted.

I didn't use the unit for several weeks after it was fitted as I was avoiding long distance driving because of a back problem. But more recently I have been using it.

A week or two ago we used it to go to Rutland Water so I set up the post code etc and the route successfully. As I reversed out of the driveway, Park Pilot came on, and when I switched to a forward gear the sat nav resumed but after a few moments driving it packed up and left a black blank screen.

Last weekend on the way to Stamford again I was successful in setting up the route and the unit performed until Rothley when it gave the black screen again. From Stamford we went to Toft and back which is only 8 miles. It got us there and later back to Stamford. When we left Stamford I set it up to go home and it worked until we got to Langham when it crashed again leaving the black screen.

On some of these occasions the radio screen might have been on before I switched the sat nav on.

Unsurprisingly the dealer is flummoxed with this problem. Has anyone come across it before or can suggest a solution.

• 6 months later...

My Fabia has the Amundsen, which is working OK. My wife has just got a new Polo with the GVN60 in it.  I imagine the installation is very similar to the Fabia.  We have updated the traffic subscription OK.

I planned a route yesterday mainly on the A14 through Northamptonshire. All the way the traffic icon remained grey, the unit was always "searching", and at the end the trip it was reporting no traffic reception for 1hr 48mins.

I queried this with the dealer, who told me they understood that traffic information was not available unless a route was planned and that there was traffic congestion on that route. 

I'm doubtful.  Please post if traffic is working on your Fabia GVN60s.

I have this unit in my Fabia and it reports Traffic Reception almost all the time. There are a few spots on my regular routes when i get no reception received for "x" mins but not often. And it's nothing to do with a route being planned or not, thats rubbish. Its on all the time and should show road colours if there are busy areas. EG red roads for busy; even on the View Map feature.

I suspect the Antenna isnt attached properly in the main unit or not working correctly. The technology is effectively an FM Radio so you need a working antenna. From memory the main unit has a few connections out, for power, GPS antenna and FM Antenna

cheers

Gus

I posted the same initial post on the Polo forum and have had 2 replies.  Neither of them gets traffic info either!  The score so far is Polo 0 - Fabia 3. 

Does anyone know the routing of the FM antenna in the Fabia? In the Polo it's in the headlining around the passenger door opening.

Edited by ffox

• 3 months later...

Horton Skoda are selling the Kenwood sat nav upgrade for the Bolero for £120 on Ebay.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Skoda-Approved-MIB-Kenwood-Sat-Nav-Upgrade-ZGB5E0051259-/152297062265?hash=item23759cbf79%3Ag%3AwgAAAOSwuAVWugga&_trkparms=pageci%253A857e05c7-a908-11e6-977c-005056b61f65%257Cparentrq%253A59de0dbe1580a6228615fb04fffca8b1%257Ciid%253A2

Only 5 left so be quick.

Bit of a bargain as the rrp is £499.

Maybe a new model is coming?

Edited by glosrich