What bulbs are fitted to the S3 & upgraded bulb recommendations

4 hours ago, Currymunster said:

Then we think each other is wrong. I'm not scared of change, the sliced loaf was an amazing invention! Seriously though. It's all about how you perceived the situation.

Of you drove a 1963 VW Beetle on a 6v battery you would really, and I mean really know what bad head lights are like. Thankfully, change had happened and I welcome it. First it was halogen. Brilliant! Trouble is it's now going the other way. Where do you do with your own safety and start thinking about others safety around you?

Statistics show there are 280 crashes in the UK due to dazzling headlights and 6 of those a year are fatal. Hence why the AA is trying to get the government to do something.

There is no way that fog lights make you see further. They only illuminate a few metres immediately in front of the car. You should be looking at the road way ahead of that. They are designed to keep the light low so that light will not reflect of the water droplets of fog and dazzle self. They are inherently brighter that normal lights. Just like rear fog lights. Visibility to be less than 100m. The clue is in the name

FOG light

Here's the law

Rule 226

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

Government collision statistics shows that since 2013, there has been an average of 280 collisions a year where dazzling headlights were a contributory factor. Of these, six a year involved someone losing their life.10 Jan 2024

So, to every one. 

save your money on a fine and points on your licence

turn the fog lights off and stop being hell bent on brighter lights. The cars these days are more than bright enough. I don't even use full beam these days they are that good.

On a side  note, I one followed a cat that hit a parked cars door that was open. It was night time and the parked cars lights were on. Poor person in front could not see around the car due to the bright lights on. 

yes, it's the moving cars fault but it wouldn't have happened if lights were not as bright.

automatic full beam. What a joke.

I see that it first dip until it actually sees the oncoming lights. If I used my full beam they would be dipped before as humans can see the light around the corner. That brings me to another point. Lights are so bright now that sometimes people can't see the lights around the corner to dip early.

I won't talk about the knight rider indicators. 😂🤣

No personal insult is intended. It's just my opinion.

safe driving everyone xx

Love it 😁👍

Seriously my light must be in need of replacement then because at one point I was wondering if they were on, the fogs help me massively even though they are only short range and not for anything other then fog.

I'm just saying the LED lights were excellent for me on the Audi, and seeing I'm looking to get a 23 plate superb this year I'm thinking they have led lights anyway.

Regarding dazzling, I'm sort of understanding it a bit and I'm feeling that those adapted lights can be a bit of a pian as they seem slightly delayed so can dazzle momentarily before they adjust themselves.

My Dad once told me the story of how he was driving home from his job in Mill Hill in a pea-souper in the early 1960's and being surprised, when he pulled onto his driveway, to see the line of cars behind him whose drivers, unable to see properly in the fog, had followed him home on the assumption that he was going where they wanted to go!

In the past my regular cars, with halogen lights, always seemed fine at the time, but when I moved to the Scottish Highlands (35 miles home from town, no streetlights, not much in the way of effective road markings, but plenty of deer) lighting suddenly became a far more important issue. I had a Nissan 200SX at that time and felt that the lights could be better, so I uprated them to a Phillips version with allegedy far brighter output, but didn't see much improvement.

My next car was a Mazda6 MPS, with xenon headlights!! It turned out that the dipped beam bulbs were, indeed, xenon, but the high beam ones were just halogen - crazy! (Incidentally, I've never found front foglights to be of any use whatsoever, although you can be done if they don't function).

Then came the Superb,with bi-xenons! Better, but still not as good as I'd like unless it's a very clear, very dark night.

When it comes to over-bright headlights, I have a problem with it too (although bear in mind that in almost all cases people don't choose their new car on the basis of how overbright the lights are), but apparently older eyes aren't as good with bright things in the dark. But "they" are always telling us that we are a "rapidly-ageing population" - go figure, as they say.

My big problem is with ultra-reflective road signs. I once almost hit a huge stag in the road because I was looking away to avoid being completely dazzled by a reflective sign warning about deer! It would be interesting to know if these fancy new pixellated LED matrix headlights woud prevent that problem by not lighting up those signs, but then you wouldn't see the signs you needed to see. It would be too much to expect them to make signs less blindingly reflective in the first place - there is no doubt an EU regulation covering that.

I know - too long, and with no useful information. I'll bet you're all glad I don't post very often.

• Love it! 1

18 hours ago, Rooted said:

Some people need special lighting and stuff others as long as they seen on the dark side of the moon while others get about fine without Special Needs Lighting.

If they think back their mother maybe warned them what would happen to their eyesight. 

Really? Is there something wrong with you?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Well i often say to my self, there is another of those D1cks that need their eyes tested as they seem to need more lighting than those getting along back roads just fine with nothing special and dipped lights in 60 mph limits and it is just a Superb they are in not anything doing a Stage Rally.

2 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Well i often say to my self, there is another of those D1cks that need their eyes tested as they seem to need more lighting than those getting along back roads just fine with nothing special and dipped lights in 60 mph limits and it is just a Superb they are in not anything doing a Stage Rally.

Thank you for your prompt, affirmative answer to my question.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheeky 1

I'd hazard a guess that most of these accidents aren't really caused by dazzling modern headlights but by drivers who plough on regardless when they can't see where they're going, with perhaps a smattering of dirty or misted up windscreens, worn out wiperblades and poorly corrected vision thrown in.

5 minutes ago, D402 said:

I'd hazard a guess that most of these accidents aren't really caused by dazzling modern headlights but by drivers who plough on regardless when they can't see where they're going, with perhaps a smattering of dirty or misted up windscreens, worn out wiperblades and poorly corrected vision thrown in.

Another pet hate of mine is drivers that turn their headlights off and think daylight running lamps are okay to use instead of 'normal headlights' not realising the rears are off , something I've never understood why car manufacturers made them this way.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MP74 said:

Another pet hate of mine is drivers that turn their headlights off and think daylight running lamps are okay to use instead of 'normal headlights' not realising the rears are off , something I've never understood why car manufacturers made them this way.

And drivers relying on auto lights on foggy but bright days!

1 hour ago, MP74 said:

I followed a vehicle in dark murky urban conditions last night, no rear lights or number plate lights but I could make out some illumination of the road in front of them, the car was too newish to likely have 3 blown bulbs (a frequent occurrence here) so the DRL's is the likely answer and why he was not flashed by oncoming traffic.

Why do you consider these drivers you see have made a conscious decision to turn off their headlights because they believe DRL's are sufficient rather than that they have simply forgotten to turn on their headlights?

Have you never forgotten to do so yourself? I doubt that, it happens when you are already in a well lit area when setting off, pre DRL's as soon as you got to a non lit area you became aware as you could not see, DRL's prevent you from realising that.

Of course there are others, around here usually the drunks who dont realise, in those cases at night DRL's are a real safety measure, there is far more danger to oncoming traffic and pedestrians than vehicles following who have very little speed differential, all vehicles have reflectors.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I followed a vehicle in dark murky urban conditions last night, no rear lights or number plate lights but I could make out some illumination of the road in front of them, the car was too newish to likely have 3 blown bulbs (a frequent occurrence here) so the DRL's is the likely answer and why he was not flashed by oncoming traffic.

Why do you consider these drivers you see have made a conscious decision to turn off their headlights because they believe DRL's are sufficient rather than that they have simply forgotten to turn on their headlights?

Have you never forgotten to do so yourself? I doubt that, it happens when you are already in a well lit area when setting off, pre DRL's as soon as you got to a non lit area you became aware as you could not see, DRL's prevent you from realising that.

Of course there are others, around here usually the drunks who dont realise, in those cases at night DRL's are a real safety measure, there is far more danger to oncoming traffic and pedestrians than vehicles following who have very little speed differential, all vehicles have reflectors.

One word, Hyundai. Every Hyundai I meet has no lights on, even the local coppers are guilty of this. 

31 minutes ago, J.R. said:

No I can hand on heart say ive never forgot to turn my lights on, I'd automatically know when I looked at my instrument panel, and as a professional driver I see this almost everyday, saw it this morning on the M60 near Manchester. I ALWAYS have mine set to Auto and the only times I turn them on is when fog sometimes confuses them thinking its light but when you turn the fogs on the lights come one anyway.

8 minutes ago, j caff said:

One word, Hyundai. Every Hyundai I meet has no lights on, even the local coppers are guilty of this. 

Bang on, they have very bright DRLs on the front so I guess ppl ate thinking their front headlights are on.

Edited by MP74

Since many car have now automatic headlights as standard spec, I think it's easy not to notice they're actually off with DRLs ON.
Why? Because, DRL light the road ahead quite significantly, and your dashboard is lighted up too as soon as DRL are ON.
Additionally, if you let your car to a garage, most of the time, you take your car back with headlights on OFF position, since it's part of their 'check in' procedure. But, as you're used to automatic lights, it may take you several miles to notice it and put the selector back on AUTO position... 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bap33 said:

Since many car have now automatic headlights as standard spec, I think it's easy not to notice they're actually off with DRLs ON.
Why? Because, DRL light the road ahead quite significantly, and your dashboard is lighted up too as soon as DRL are ON.
Additionally, if you let your car to a garage, most of the time, you take your car back with headlights on OFF position, since it's part of their 'check in' procedure. But, as you're used to automatic lights, it may take you several miles to notice it and put the selector back on AUTO position... 

Well you couldn't make that mistake with any cars I've owned since 2017, a message would appear on the dash, turn on dipped headlights...

10 hours ago, MP74 said:

No I can hand on heart say ive never forgot to turn my lights on

Yeah right!

10 hours ago, MP74 said:

I ALWAYS have mine set to Auto

That is cheating 😁 and you wont be honing your reflexes! But you can say hand on heart that your car has never forgotten to turn on the lights 👍

36 minutes ago, j caff said:

Well you couldn't make that mistake with any cars I've owned since 2017, a message would appear on the dash, turn on dipped headlights...

On the ones you've owned maybe.

My MK3 is a MY18, built in octobre 2017, but doesn't throw this kind of message. This can happen.

If it has "Auto" position on the beam switch, it should give the warning to switch to dipped beam. I was switching to Off on purpose in the garage and found out it does that. It always sits in Auto.

Mine is a MY19, manufactured in August 2018.