Warrior193
FREEDOM
-
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Currently
Viewing Topic: Power steering light illuminted on dash, it comes and goes
Everything posted by Warrior193
-
Get it Ready For Winter
Really cannot recommend putting normal WD40 into any lock - the residue tends to go sticky and eventually makes the problem worse. Graphite powder in dry lock, warmed up key in frozen one.
-
Newbie Oil Question
@silver1011 I thought the ACT came in with the change to the 1.5 TSI - have I got that wrong?
-
Help! Do I need to leave my spare wheel in a vehicle due to be collected by Copart?
Hello, welcome to the forum. No, whip it out before they collect it. So many vehicles are supplied without them nowadays anyway. Unlikely that Copart would know if your vehicle originally came with a spare.
-
“Engine must be running”
@Micky 32 another thought - do you run a lot of fairly short trips? if so, does your maintenance schedule include an occasional full recharge? The 'smart' alternators fitted to these vehicles rarely allow the battery to charge above 75%.
-
“Engine must be running”
A cold winter this year could very well push it over the edge. I'd seriously consider replacing it - if you do, make sure to get it adapted in the settings.
-
Where is the oil leak coming from?
Usually the gearbox oil level is checked by removing the filler plug - correct level is when oil is up to bottom of filler hole with vehicle level on ground. Gearboxes, unless TC automatics, normally do not have a dipstick.
-
Wales new reduced to 20 mph speed limit in built up areas starts on Sunday 17th September 2023.
Rather like the old joke when it was rumoured that NZ was going to convert to driving on the right - to ease the transition, vehicles with registrations ending with odd numbers would transition on Monday - even numbers on Tuesday.
-
Where is the oil leak coming from?
Hi, welcome to the forum. Is there any sign of oil leaks higher up on the engine? Do you think that you may have overfilled with oil recently? If no to first question, it could mean that the crankshaft seal is leaking - this would mean removal of the gearbox to check, is there any sign of the clutch slipping?
-
Beeping sound
It clearly seems as if this is speed related - is the GPS in use (navigating) when this 'beep' sounds - is it possible that there is some sort of 'speed nanny' operating when you exceed the NSL by 6 MPH? I've never had it come up on my Octavia though 😇.
-
Sudden loss/blip in power.
I really hope that 17,000 rpm is a typo 🤔
-
Newbie Oil Question
@MorayDavid Opie Oil website specifies fully synthetic engine oil to VW504 00 - 507 00 standard, 5W-30.
-
“Engine must be running”
Is that test throwing up a 'replace battery' message? I have found testing my Octavia (Moll, EFB) battery against two standards (DIN & SAE) gives slightly different readings - but appears to give a reasonable idea of condition.
-
Wales new reduced to 20 mph speed limit in built up areas starts on Sunday 17th September 2023.
Or the very real risk that some pedestrians will 'take the gap' between vehicles because they're going so slowly.
-
the truth about electric cars
They will probably start to blame an increase in ozone.
-
Newbie Oil Question
As to why they say take to stealer for full change - that's just to drum up business for their network.
-
“Engine must be running”
I have seen the 'engine must be running' message a few times on my TSI (obviously not for regens) - I usually connected it to cabin or engine coolant temperature. Try a recharge and get the battery condition tested.
-
Newbie Oil Question
Try looking up on Opie Oil website for correct spec. What TSI engine do do you have?
-
Newbie Oil Question
Hello David, use the oil specification that Skoda or VW state for your engine.
-
“Engine must be running”
Hello Micky, it is likely to be something like the requested cabin temperature (on AC) is not down/up to setpoint, there are quite a few parameters that will inhibit auto stop/start - one I see now and then is 'windscreen may fog' - I wouldn't rule out a battery problem though, are you able to test it?
-
Hello again !
Good idea to avoid oil-burners if now doing lower miles. From issues aired by members on this forum, it would seem that there have been a lot of 'teething' problems with the electronics in the Mk4 - I'm sure some owners will be on soon to give better informed advice.
-
Question about brakes
Hello, welcome to the forum. 1 - I've never had an issue with pads squealing. Are you sure your pads are ok? 2 - I suggest copper ease grease (or similar) applied sparingly to the metal backplate of the pad. 3 - Yes, not an issue to remove then replace pads, make sure to refit everything correctly (retaining pins, shims etc.)
-
High Mileage - Impact On Battery Range
Hello Pete, welcome to the forum. I'm not an EV owner, but I would suggest battery life/remaining capacity is more likely to be adversely affected by the way it's charged - I.e. always being charged to 100% Strongly recommend getting an independent check of battery condition on any 2nd hand EV.
-
Used 1.2. Yeti Questions
@Sunmoon Prezafab means that they believe that the timing chain should be changed as soon as possible (now)
-
solar trickle charger..
Hello, welcome to the forum. Yes, the 12 volt sockets are live at all times.
-
Stuck/ corroded Valve Caps
If staying with metal caps once you've got the seized ones off, put a smear of copper ease grease on the valve stem threads before replacing.