Everything posted by Alasdair1
-
Squeal/chirp from bell housing?
May be a worn release bearing. When the clutch is pressed it will put pressure on bearing which may make sound disappear. Reckon clutch at 107k the bearing will have been well used and clutch fairly worn. As far as I know the only way to check is Gbox out. If your doing a new clutch replace slave cylinder at the same time. Alasdair
-
Interior light randomly coming on
Could be a microswitch in door lock or maybe broken wire at door pillar. Does the door open symbol on dash come on? Alasdair
- Intermittent power steering failure + ABS light linked to 12V socket?
-
Dying gearbox. Need replacement.
Try we buy any car etc. There not to know gearbox is failing? Stick in your reg and see what they will give you. Auctions are a bit of a lottery as it depends if two or more people are interested but if you have one fairly local maybe worth a shot. Check what commision they ask and if theres VAT involved. Alasdair
- Intermittent power steering failure + ABS light linked to 12V socket?
-
Weird coolant loss in a Mk1 Fabia 1.4MPI
Yep after looking again reckon its too much for just condensation as Warrior193 said and as your losing coolant and no drips/signs of coolant after pressure test I am afraid the coolant must be going somewhere internal. Dont think you have an oil cooler so probably HG. I would double check for leaks again just in case its not obvious including heater matrix. Alasdair
- Weird coolant loss in a Mk1 Fabia 1.4MPI
-
Dead flat battery
That's I think if you leave battery in situ still connected to car. They are referring to where the battery is earthed to chassis although on my skoda its under battery tray so I use any bare metal for -ve. Same as when jumping a car. Something to do with sparks and flammable gas. I normally just disconnect +ve and -ve on battery and connect direct to battery. Alasdair
-
Glow Plug - Pressure Sensor
Have you cleared codes manually. Think sometimes it requires manual removal of code when new gplug/sensor is fitted. It could also be a wiring fault from sensor and I think when fitting the new one with pressure sensor it needs ecu/calibration. Alasdair
-
Fabia mk1 rear tailgate
It could be a faulty CCM. I believe it locks and unlocks doors plus windows etc but if failing can get confused. I read they are prone to corosion due to water ingress. A scan should pick up any faults. Alasdair
-
Fabia mk1 rear tailgate
It might be a failing door lock actuator thats confusing system. Might be worth scanning it with vcds. It may point to a problem with one of the rear doors or boot lock actuator. On my octavia the drivers door opens with fob but requires a second press to unlock front passenger door, rear doors and boot. There is also a button on fob for boot only. Its a pain and still havent worked out how to make whole car open with one press. I assume yours is different like my sons mk1 fabia with only lock and unlock on fob. Alasdair
-
Dying gearbox. Need replacement.
The oil in carpark could be yours and as said hope there's oil left in it. Worth getting oil level checked as if there's none left the leak will stop. Alasdair
-
Dying gearbox. Need replacement.
Hope theres still oil in it? If its leaking at a plate it may be possible to remove and seal up again. Not sure if its a gasket or special sealant. Had an old toyota import that sump and Gbox were sealed with special grey silicone. Dealers were very expensive but I used Loctite SI5699 Been on for years and no leaks.
-
Loss Engine Power
Same on the MK1 1.9tdi my folks had. Tried once to clean rusty front discs for MOT by driving with brake on and car immediately lost power and loads of warning lights on. Hope it works. Alasdair
-
Loss Engine Power
If you know someone or have VCDS might be worth a scan. VCDS sometimes pings up codes that other readers including garage ones miss before changing TB Alasdair
-
Dying gearbox. Need replacement.
If the gearbox isnt noisy and gear selections are good and positive I would see if the oil leak can be fixed. It may be as simple as just a gasket or seal unless the box has to be dismantled to fit gasket. I would run it and see if its repairable and at the same time start searching for second hand box just in case. Came accross Trent breakers who seem to have a few Gbox plus offer warranty but not sure how long https://www.trents.co.uk/manufacturer/skoda/skoda-octavia#/ Alasdair
- Coolant Loss. Heater Matrix?
- mouser
-
Fabia mk1 rear tailgate
Maybe broken wires in passenger door gaiter and also in tailgate gaiter? Alasdair.
-
Dead flat battery
Chances are the auto windows wont work either. Put fully down and hold for 5-10secs then fully up and hold for 5-10secs. Alasdair
-
Coolant Loss. Heater Matrix?
May not be blocked matrix but air lock (hopefully) or exhaust gases if the HG has gone . If its the HG it will pressurise cooling system and also cause air/gas lock normally in heater matrix which would explain heaters not being very hot. Check the reservoir for bubbles and maybe a HG test plus look for white smoke at exhaust. Alasdair
-
Where do I press to confirm/enter the passcode on the CD player like this ( Swing)
If its not original then it wont automatically do it as I think radio checks vin on car and if it matches switches on. If you do get it to work write the code on a sticker and stick in glovebox for future use. Might be worth connecting radio cable just in case its needed. That I think is a Skoda Audience MP3 car radio which is earlier than the Swing model. Alasdair
-
Droning noise above 50 MPH in cabin
Hopefully its a one of and glad the warranty covered it. Weird how older cars like mine seem to get to 100k before wheel bearing etc goes but a new part doesnt last nearly as long. Reckon your right with older cars being better built and parts better quality. My old garage I used to use said that if they have had to use heat on wheel hubs to remove bolt its guaranteed that that bearing will be next to fail. They were spot on as they had changed front broken spring on my old Octavia and 3 months later bearing failed. They only used heat as they couldn't move bolt even with a 5 foot bar and were worried it would snap. Alasdair
-
exhaust smoking a bit
Black smoke and smell of petrol is either too much fuel or not enough air. I would get it scanned as previously said to help hopefully pinpoint problem. It could be quite a few things. If the air filter is old/dirty I would start by changing it first. It could also be bad MAF,O2 sensor, Bad fuel injector or failing ignition causing misfire and probably a few more hence why its better to get it scanned for codes. Alasdair
-
Where do I press to confirm/enter the passcode on the CD player like this ( Swing)
On my old octy it was either the fastforward/scan right button or the Menu. Sorry cant exactly remember. If its the original to car it should do it by itself although sometimes radio needs to be switched on and car driven for a while. Alasdair