Skip to content

Penpusher

FREEDOM
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Penpusher

  1. Recently we've been on 25 day trip to Lithuania to visit SWMBO's family and friends by car. We went on the Harwich-Hook of Holland overnight ferry, stayed overnight in Bielefeld, Poznan and Bialystok before arriving in Klaipėda for 13 nights in an apartment we rented. We then went on to Vilnius for 3 nights before heading home, staying in Warsaw, Dresden, Arnsberg and Calais before taking the ferry to Dover. The car behaved itself all the way and just needed petrol. The outward journey went smoothly with no delays, though we ran into some heavy rain at times in Germany and Poland. The return journey wasn't so good, as there were long delays around Wroclaw in Poland with roadworks and around Essen in Germany, where the A40 was closed for resurfacing, where we got a bit lost in the town. The results of our trip are as below. The mpg suffered on the way home in the holdups as it was showing just over 55mpg when we arrived in Klaipėda, having shown a best of 59mpg driving through The Netherlands with their speed limit of 100kph. The mpg would have also been reduced a little by lots of small journeys around the cities where we were staying in Lithuania.
  2. Success! I started the software update as we left the ferry in Dover and when we made our first stop for a break it was showing they now the version dated June 2025.
  3. She last visited the site on 8 July 2024, so you probably won't get an answer.
  4. I've driven from the UK to Klaipėda, Lithuania and I needed just one stop for petrol in Poznan, Poland and I've still got about 200 miles of fuel left. I hope I can do the same in a couple of weeks when we return home. It's a bit different to the first time I took my car abroad in 1971. I had a Mini with a 5½ gallon fuel tank and you'd get about 40 mpg if you were lucky, so I had to fill up every 200 miles or less if there weren't many filling stations!
  5. We've made it to Lithuania and I've tried downloading the maps in our apartment we're renting and it was completed successfully in 35 minutes. At home, it estimated the time to download at about 3 hours before it kept failing. I'll wait until we're home to update the maps in the car as I'm worried that something could go wrong and I don't want to be without navigation to return home.
  6. This takes me back to over 50 years ago after my father retired at 65 in 1973. He'd had company cars for many years that were supplied to him from new, so they were never smoked in. After he retired, they asked him if he'd come back and work for a couple more years as they couldn't fill his place, which he agreed to, and they gave him a Ford Cortina MkIII that a female rep had used, but she was a heavy smoker and the windscreen was cover with scratches inside where she'd wiped the glass with her hands and not bothered about the damage her jewellery was doing. My father had an injury from WWII, so he wasn't able to do too much physical work, so I said I'd give it a good clean. I couldn't do much with the screen, but I cleaned the inside as thoroughly as possible, the metal ashtray being coated in grimy brown that I took out and soaked to get it clean. There was even ash inside the instrument cluster which I couldn't get to, but I've no idea how it got in there in the first place. Like your Superb, the Cortina wasn't completely clear of cigarette smells, but it was 95% better than it was. I even bought him a Feu Orange to hang from the dashboard to eliminate the last 5 % of the smell!
  7. As I mentioned in my post, I took all mine to a charity shop who were very pleased to take them, though I don't know if you have charity shops in Bulgaria. I did think of selling them on eBay, but it's a lot of effort for not much return plus the hassle of posting them, so I didn't bother. We're getting ready to move house, so time isn't on my side at present and we cleared a lot of other things we no longer need to charity shops, such as books, ornaments, etc.
  8. I tried the resume option many times, but it just goes back to the beginning and then it fails again before it finishes. I kept on trying resume and repeated the process many times, but I just went round and round in an endless loop back to the start each time.
  9. I'm not very good with technology, but I've transferred all my CDs onto a USB memory stick and I use this in the car. I've now got a big range of CDs that I couldn't have in the car all at the same time and SWMBO's happy that I sent all my CDs to a charity shop and there's less clutter at home.
  10. As per my earlier post, I've got to take my car back to the dealer as it needed Skoda technical department to find out what the problem is. Maybe you'll end up having to do the same if you go to the dealer? Mine's going back to Sinclairs of Swansea who've been very helpful, but it's just a nuisance that they're so far away and I did buy the car from them. It was a Skoda approved car, but it was the second one on their list that I chose. The first one was 4 months newer with slightly less mileage, but their inspection revealed it'd been in an accident and had been poorly repaired and so they rejected it. This car hasn't been registered for the road since October 2024, but it's just coming back for sale now at another dealer.
  11. I bought my car in October 2024 and I still haven't been able to get Skoda Connect to work. I tried many times when I first had the car and Sinclair Garage in Swansea asked me to arrange to take it back when they contacted me to ask if the car was OK after I bought it and I informed them of this problem. I didn't bother at the time as it's an 80 mile round trip to Swansea and I waited until the next service was due, which was in June this year. They tried to connect but they also failed and so they contacted Skoda. Skoda then investigated and they said the car will need to go back. As we are currently selling our house and we're going to be away for 25 days in August, I've had to defer the remedial work for now. It's a shame it doesn't work with a long trip coming up to Lithuania. The maps are still as originally supplied and are dated June 2023, but they're not updating online until I get Skoda Connect working. To compound the problem, I've tried downloading the map update, but the download constantly fails partway through with the message "Network error". I've tried all the fixes suggested but still no luck. The next step I'll try is when we're in Lithuania and I'll try in the apartment we're renting or at one of SWMBO's relatives. It'd be nice to have the latest maps, but I know the road fairly well, having driven many times before and there haven't been many changes, apart from the road from Suwalki in eastern Poland to Kaunas in Lithuania, but that's easy to follow as it's just a dual carriageway/motorway upgrade and there's only one main route to follow. From that road, go west and you're in Russia or go east and you're in Belarus, so I don't want to go to either of those!
  12. I've got a 64 Gb USB stick in my USB-C with lots of music I've taken from CDs and they play correctly. My current car has MIB3 and my last one was MIB2. There are some improvements in MIB3 compared to MIB2, but unfortunately it's lost many useful features, such as being able to enter destinations by map co-ordinates. I've had the newer car for 9 months and twice so far the navigation's frozen on me, but I wasn't using it on both occasions for navigation and on each occasion it happened when I first started the car. I could vaguely see a blurred map on the screen, but nothing more and it came back after I switched it off for a short period. I'm not too bothered about it, so long as it doesn't happen just at the point when I need it to negotiate, for example, a complicated junction that I'm not familiar with.
  13. My previous car was a 2016 L&K with Columbus. I updated it every 6 months and never had any problems. I think these warnings are so companies can cover their backs in the very unlikely event that someting goes wrong. It's a bit like medication where the leaflet with it warns you of all sorts of side affects that probably only happen in a fraction of one pecent of everyone using them.
  14. According to his profile, @Twinpack last visited this site over 5 years ago on 10 June 2020.
  15. On my 2016 Superb 2.0 TDi, I had Vredestein all season tyres. It had 19" wheels and when I had those tyres fitted, there wasn't as much choice for all season tyres as there is now. There're ideal for where I live in Wales, where it's often wet and not very warm, but where there's very little snow in the winter. I took the car to many other countries in the summer, including places such as Croatia, Italy and the south of France where it was very hot at times. I didn't have any problems with them, though these days I'm a very steady driver and I don't press on too quickly and put the tyres under much strain. I've now got a 2023 2.0 TSi with 18" Continental tyres and I'll swap them to all seasons when they're due to be replaced.
  16. I'm the same. I traded in my 2016 model for a 2023 model last year. There are some improvements with the newer car, but sat nav definitely isn't one of them.
  17. You can view Skoda Superb brochures from previous years in the link below which can help you to determine what was fitted as standard and what option extras have been fitted. https://autocatalogarchive.com/skoda/
  18. I've got the green and yellow one too.
  19. A few years ago, I had the same problem of "Front Assist Unavailable" appearing on the dash. It turned out to be a broken bracket holding the radar unit in place.
  20. Mine's exactly the same too. As I said earlier, once I'm driving other noises and the radio mask it, so I'm not too bothered.
  21. We're moving to North Hykeham at the end of June, if all goes well, so maybe we'll see each other around in the county and can compare our noises!
  22. Mine does the same. It's annoying when the ignition's on and the engine's not running, but once I'm on the road with the radio on and the road noise, any buzzing or humming can't be heard.
  23. Has anyone taken their RHD car to a country where they drive on the right? If so, is the left hand mirror constantly triggered but the right hand mirror is not? Maybe this would prove they are both functioning as they should be. I've not taken my current car out of the UK yet and I can't remember how well my last car with the warning lights in the glass worked abroad.
  24. I like using the coasting. Maybe it's because I remember driving two-stokes in the 1960s which had a lockable freewheel to avoid the engine being starved of fuel and lubrication on the overrun. That was freewheeling though and you didn't get engine braking if you applied the brakes. We regularly visit Merthyr Tydfil from Brecon and on the return journey, there are some long straight downhill sections where I can coast and maintain 60mph, whereas the car would slow down if it was in gear. I can sometimes coast up to a roundabout or junction and only use the brakes when I'm close to them, though this is fine if the road's quiet, but not when you're in traffic and there are other cars around you. In a month or two's time, were moving to Lincoln, so I won't have any hills to coast down around there!
  25. About 30 years ago, the passenger window motor on my Vauxhall Calibra failed. I commented to the mechanic that it seemed strange as it was the window that was rarely opened and he said the same as you were told - that it's due to the lack of use.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.