Talex/Novus Database Discussion

VRStu

im not really impressed with any database at the moment. i have contacted the database guy on his personal email address but still no response. Might actually ring them up and give mr blair an email of my disatisfaction.

curleybar, what seems to be the problem? i might be able to help?

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an update, actually from the owner of Talex according to him the database manager Steve Walsh is on a long and rare holiday, but will be back soon. Im sure other companies have been in the same situation especially when you look at the likes of say road angel which just says updated and doesnt say to what version or how much has just been downloaded (from my experience of their device).

I know of a location which hasnt been added yet, even through they have had the co ordinates a while, but hopefully will be on the next available update (again ive pointed this out and am chasing up this one).

• 2 weeks later...

Reported new speed cams being erected on motorway near to where i live to Talex.

Had a cracking reply from Steve Walsh which came the following day saying he will have the location visited and the cams logged.

Faith restored in Talex!

Yes another thumbs up to them my talex has packed up (speaker again) think it might have been the heat thats done it as both times it has gone the days temp has been well above 25c, however my old one never had this problem. However talex has promised to send me a replacement one as soon as the they receive the next batch and will look into the speaker issue i have raised. So now back to my original full fat which seems quieter than the new one, no bright blue lights at night and no blue light to warn you when within the zone.

Have found out how to get your gps position displayed on the new devices, (trying to remember how i did it the other night) hold down the button at the side and keep it held down it will show m1, m2 then let go and it should scroll across.

smstext:

Ta for the offer.

My "old" Talex worked fine.

Bought New Talex and new laptop (with Vista basic) paid for subscription, unit will not download updates. The update screen is just blank, and all I get is a "USB device not recognised" message.

Their tech support suggested downloading a vista driver, done that still does not do anything. I was then told that the problem was either operator or equipment error ?

I admit that I am not an IT tecki but can find my way around with a bit of "support"

They take forever to ring back, seemingly have no recollection of conversations that took place days earlier. Having heard nothing for about 3 weeks, I have now had an E Mail out of the blue from their "Repair dept" asking me to return the unit !

Any Ideas ?

Ta mate.

Does anyone know whats going on? I bought a talex about 6 months ago, It stopped working so I phoned talex on numerous occasions for help, to be told they will get someonre to ring me back! that never happens. I have also sent them e-mails but I get nothing back. For the last week there phone has been unobtainable! Have I bought myself a pile of rubbish, there is no customer care at all! And what's really p......... me off is I'm getting e-mails from Adam Blair about what looks to be a glorified insurance policy, why isn't he looking his talex customers??? Has anyone any ideas??

Does anyone know whats going on? And what's really p......... me off is I'm getting e-mails from Adam Blair about what looks to be a glorified insurance policy, why isn't he looking his talex customers??? Has anyone any ideas??

Martin,

It may not be any consolation but it looks like you're not the only person having problems with Talex's 'customer service'. Have a look at my earlier post #263 in this forum.

Edited by Beefheart

they are more interested in hooking in new punters with his latest "insurance scheme" than looking after existing customers or providing a worthwhile website that actually tells you which version is up for download and what the changes are.

what is this insurance policy??? if its for the talex device then look at it this way £99 (or less depending where you buy it from) comes with years warrenty anyway, if it insurance is over £20 then dont bother as you get your moneys worth out of it in the first year and the second years 20 quid makes forty meaning you already half way there into paying for a new device. thats my 2 pence anyway.

nope, follow my pm i sent you, as my speaker went on mine and it seems a common fault, a new batch is due in this week or next so they will have some next week to send out (like my replacment). The speaker is easy enough to replace yourself and it is something i have complained about before as its not to the same quality as the original speaker which incidently fits perfect.

Latest Talex Update :

V. 9076

File size 3352104 bytes. ( An increase of 424 bytes from last weeks database size)

Latest Novus Delta Update :

V 9076

File size 1.37MB (1441562 bytes).

Edited by leehazzo

I have been following this post for a while now and I also have been having problems. However I decided recently to sell my Talex Unit on eBay. However just after doing this I have discovered this website www.staycon.co.uk on another forum.

I believe it allows you to trade in any old unit you have for a new Speed Camera detector at a discounted price. I have yet to try it, but am going to this week by trading in an unused Tom Tom.

Hope this might help some of you out there.