Rear washer jet not working

• 1 month later...

i know this is an older thread but just had same problem , the nozzle was blocked which caused the pipe to split in the rear passenger foot well pulled the plastic back the repaired the pipe and cleaned the nozzles all works fine now but think that the pipe should be change for proper pipe not the corrugated rubbish as it seems to be prone to breaking

Mine has been the same since I bought it.

I can hear the motor in the engine bay when I try to spray water onto the rear screen.

However, nothing comes out.

Stubax mentioned pulling the plastic part from the bottom part of the rear wiper but mine seems stuck. Do you really have to pull it hard? I just don't want to put my rear window through. I presume you pull it directly upward too?

Looks like a lot of people have the same problem.

• 3 months later...

Thanks everyone for all the tips! I removed mine this morning and gave it a good long soak in piping hot water, poked it with a pin and blasted some compressed air though it from a can of aerosol duster (see gallery pic). Worked a treat !! All wishy-washy again at the back now :D :D

med_gallery_81935_394_190458.jpg

Cheers,

Sy

Its simple to remove the washer jet itself, but that may not be the cause., that said its the first place to start.

- There is a cap covering the wiper arm nut on which the arm pivots.

- Gently pull the cap away from the wiper arm. A little force is needed.

- This will expose the wiper arm retaining nut and will also reveal jet.

- The jet itself is just a push fit and should come away with ease.

This wasn't causing the problem with mine, if it doesn't for you, then the next place I would look it behind the carpet in the left hand side of the boot.

OK the frost is off the car so I tried the procedure below as per swil00 (see posting above 12May2010):

- There is a cap covering the wiper arm nut on which the arm pivots.

- Gently pull the cap away from the wiper arm. A little force is needed.

- This will expose the wiper arm retaining nut and will also reveal jet.

- The jet itself is just a push fit and should come away with ease.

First problem is I can't get the cap off. I looked at pic given above by Clodius (25May2010) but no go. I'm worried that I'll break the plastic, which looks and feels very breakable. The car is under warranty but service guy says rear washer is a poor design ie effing crap so learn to live with it (or words to that effect).

They also have similar attitude to the mild juddering of dsg I get in slow traffic. Perhaps time to try different dealer or trade car in for a different manufacture.

I tried to clear mine this morning. I took the nozzle off the car and tried to clear it with a pin. It only partly worked so I'll try the "soak in hot water" to see if that works.

In the meantime I've ordered a spare from ebay for £6.99 (part number 8E9 955 985).

Took mine off, cleaned it up, back on, working well.

Needed a little adjustment as it was aimed very close to the pivot.

About 3 hours and 15 litres of screenwash later it's back where it was! The margin of adjustment between directly onto the glass and over the roof onto the bonnet is about 1mm, just couldn't find a happy medium :giggle:

Thinking about it I think it's better that way as the screenwash travels along the blade as the wiper moves so it still reaches all of the swept area.

Took mine off, cleaned it up, back on, working well.

Needed a little adjustment as it was aimed very close to the pivot.

About 3 hours and 15 litres of screenwash later it's back where it was! The margin of adjustment between directly onto the glass and over the roof onto the bonnet is about 1mm, just couldn't find a happy medium :giggle:

Thinking about it I think it's better that way as the screenwash travels along the blade as the wiper moves so it still reaches all of the swept area.

When I was mucking around with mine I could get it exactly where I wanted in the middle 3rd, but completely missed the outer 3rds, so major compromise. So it's now about 1/4 along the blade and travels along. Although the wiper seems to skid on the return journey a lot of the time.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had a similar problem and have cleaned the washer nozzles. Now only problem I have is that they are conmpletely out of alignment and don't go anywhere near the back windscreen, no matter how hard I try, the water will either go over the top of the car, or at the bottom of the windscreen.

A tiny change to the nozzle direction makes a massive difference to where the water actually ends up. I've gone through 2 blades trying to sort this problem out, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried adjusting it with a needle? It takes time but it's doable. You also have to take into consideration the fact that the covering cap gives you little room for adjustment

I had the same issue, to get the leverage with a pin required to move the nozzles you need to first remove the black plastic cap.

After lots of adjustment and wasted screenwash you finally get it somewhere near.

Then you pop the plastic cap back on and the water hits the cap instead, arggghhh!

I gave up in the end.

I wonder if you buy a new nozzle from Skoda whether it comes pre-adjusted so that when you press fit it on it's already set-up!?

Have cleaned mine several times with a #72 modelling drill used in a pin vice. (With the nozzle removed first!)

Aim seems to always remain good

Since using first VAG screenwash and now Tesco super concentrated (pink stuff) there has been no blockage.

• 1 year later...

hi

just resurrecting this thread after ive discovered mines not working either (trying to locate source of water in the rear wheel well)

the answer to mine doesnt seem to be covered herre yet, so here goes........

ive followed the advice to remove the rear wiper cap, and then pulled off the pushfit jet. others have found either this to be blocked, or a hose disconnected. mine is neither :-)

i tried the rear wiper and looked in the rear view mirror, nothing. but......when i went to rear of car, its obvious 'something' has happened. theres a fair few spots of brown water where its tried to work splashed onto the tailgate. and a bit of brown water around the end.

so im assuming the hoses are connected (phew) but theres a blockage somewhere. is there a way of flushing it through to get a decent stream going again? or am i in same position as if my hose was disconnected, and ill have to take them out to clean through? :-(

thanks

EDIT: got there in the end. blasted it through and eventually got a stream shooting up in air. kept refitting the jet, but no water again, so kept pushing a needle through the jets til it worked for a few seconds then stopped again. just kept at it, soaking jets, blowing through them, trying again and repeat. working ok now, hope it stays that way :-)

Edited by sadexpunk

? had same issue but water comes inside the car from under the dash board. Went to a dealer, they said common problem. Kept the car for two days, I've seen the car while the job was carring, whole front panels was out to replace a little connector. Been back twice to put the steering wheel straight and Partot problem. Job done under warranty

• 2 weeks later...

Mine did it numerous times also. Turns out it was a coupling behind the trim on the nearside in the boot. Just by the wheel arch. Seemed to pop off every now and then. Simple to reconnect and hey presto water out the jet again. Feel for a wet puddle down the side of boot and that will give a quick answer as to whether it not this is your issue. Lift the boot floor lining and look for any moisture.

• 2 months later...

Hi mine appears to be coming out of the hard plastic trim at the bottom half of the boot lid, is that going to be a split pipe I think I have a little water on the screen. I've tried pulling the plastic cover off the wiper but it seems to be stuck. is there a trick for getting it off?

Thanks

Hi mine appears to be coming out of the hard plastic trim at the bottom half of the boot lid, is that going to be a split pipe I think I have a little water on the screen. I've tried pulling the plastic cover off the wiper but it seems to be stuck. is there a trick for getting it off?

Thanks

wd40 and a little gentle persuasion! My pipe was off completely so had to remove the boot trim and re-attach to the motor, still not working mind coz it must have a blockage, damn.

Hi ended up taking my car to the dealer.

They said the motor is part of the washer mechanism and that the motor would need replacing.

I declined the work and thought I would ask on her first.

Hi Anyone.

The motor works fine but they said its the motor that needs replacement.

If I buy a motor my self are they hard to fit, or do you think its just worth buying a new nozzle first.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

You can remove the existing nozzle, the cover is removed be carefully pulling the bottom on both sides outwards (just a tab fit) and pulling it up along the hinge. Once upright you should be able to pull it upwards and off. The nozzle is just a push fit. Remove and clean with a pin, or air blaster etc.

If you want to check the flow with the nozzle removed, the jet that comes out will go up and back quite some way.........just in case you get someone standing behind the car.