Felicia Combi 1.3 - what oil?

The main feature of a car oil should be "good lubrication" in a certain range of outside temperature and loads. Oil consumption has nothing to do with the type of oil but rather with the mechanical health of the engine.

Felicia is a small family car with a low power, normal aspirated engine. That is why I'd say that using Castrol Edge is a waste of money. I am not talking about cheap, fake Castrol oil sold as original Castrol.

• Like 1

On 12/04/2020 at 00:20, dmarkovski said:

I just buy felicia 1.3 so i wonder castrol 5w-30 is good oil for it ?

till now after 2000 km driving with it the engine not spend any oil.

ulei_castrol_edge_titanium_4l_1.jpg

if you are not in a very cold climate you SHOULD NOT use 5w-30 oil as you will kill your timing chain.
i use castrol gtx 15w-40 here in greece. (0c-40c) and the car seems to just be the happiest,
i also change it every 5000-7000 km (well within its specs)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 17/04/2020 at 16:42, Thefeliciahacker said:

If you are not in a very cold climate you SHOULD NOT use 5w-30 oil as you will kill your timing chain.

I didn't knew that.

On 17/04/2020 at 16:42, Thefeliciahacker said:

if you are not in a very cold climate you SHOULD NOT use 5w-30 oil as you will kill your timing chain.

The same applies for 5W-40 in our climate here?

I have use many brands in 10W-40 but my car does not like all of them in high rpm in mountain roads.

51 minutes ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

5W-40 in our climate here

yes because 40 applies at 100c in between 0 and 100c this oil will be less viscous than 15w-40 nowadays i run 15w-50 motul 4100 its mandatory for our cars especially in this heat to have very viscous oil, these engines like viscous oil
20w-50 according to skoda could support 0-50c envirioment temp, so 15w-50 can support -10c +45 preety much anything my car will ever encounter in west greece

2 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

these engines like viscous oil
20w-50

20W-50 are for small (city use) 50cc carburettor motorcycles (the ''papakia'') of the late 80's era.

Yes about the environment, too much cold etc but how can you run fast a car with such a high viscous oil?

On 03/05/2009 at 14:54, pollywog said:

5W40 is not to be used in the 1.3 engine. For town cruising it may be okay but for long journeys it will bend the piston rods. i have seen this issue on 3 different 1.3 engines. one with 0w30 the others with 5w40...

Have you ever heard about this before? Even a synthetic 5W-40 can harm our engine?

Trying to ''enrich'' the conversation:

So do i need 5w40 or 10W40?

https://totalenergies.in/blogs/5w40-choosing-right-engine-oil-your-car

The choice between 5w40 engine oil and an alternative like 10w40 depends on the winter temperature in your region. 5w40 is better for starting your engine at low temperatures as it flows more easily at these temperatures. When the engine is running and hot, 5w40 and 10w40 have high viscosities and are equally effective in protecting against engine wear.

5w40 vs 10w40 Engine Oil: Which One Is Best for Your Vehicle

https://carfueladvisor.com/5w40-vs-10w40/

s 5w30 better than 5w40?

Yes, 5w30 is a better option as it is suitable for vehicles of different types and is appropriate to use in different temperatures. Especially, it shows excellent performance in colder temperatures. 5w40 also shows good performance in low temperatures but they are more suitable for high mileage engines and warmer temperatures.

Is 10w40 thicker than 5w40

At room temperature, both 5w40 and 10w40 oils show the same thickness. However, in a cold or freezing temperature, 10W40 engine oil is thicker than 5w40 oil.

what cars use 10w40 oil

10w40 oils are best for cars with old engines, and for the ones that do not need to run in extreme weather. Commonly, drivers prefer 10w40 oils for cars that need a high mileage.

Can I use 5w40 instead of 15w40?

In most cases, it would be okay to use a 5w40 oil instead of a 15w40 oil. The 5w40 oils will indeed show a better performance in the colder temperatures.

Can I use 10w40 instead of 5w40?

5w40 offers better start-up protection and the smallest bit of fuel economy for the initial 5-10 minutes of the journey. After that, it is pretty much the same as 10w40.

However, 5w40 engine oils have better flowability in cold temperatures compared to 10w40 oils, as they are thin and lightweight. If you use a 10w40 oil instead of a 5w40 oil in cold temperatures, the molecules of the 10w40 oils might be too big for entering into the metal parts of the engine. Thus, proper lubrication will be hampered and the vehicle will lead to damage.

ScreenShot_oil.png

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

You won't use no 5w-40 and  10w40.

You WILL USE 15W-40 OR 15W-50 these are the oils for our cars period.

https://oilincar.com/skoda/felicia/1-1994-2001.php

Summer -5 to +45 °C (it's like the temperatures that i have here)

20W-30
25W-30

No offence but i don't know how the car will rev-up with such a thick oil.

With semi-synthetics 10W-40 the car hesitates at high rpm.

I have Synthetic 5W-40 for few weeks now.

In few days i will make a fuel consumption test with the new engine oil and i will post the results but as for the engine behaviour at high rpm and coolant temperature the 5W-40 is already one click ahead from my previous Synthetic 10W-40 oil.

13 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

If you continue with 5w-40 you are going to be needing a new engine. 

At least timing chain. 

And don't say you haven't been warned 

I have used 3 brands of 10W-40, only the Amsoil could make the engine rev-up in mountain roads so good but it's very expensive.

The other 2 ''couldn't make it'' so i am confused, maybe i will return to Mobil 1 15W-50, i don't know. 🙄

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/08/2023 at 21:35, D.FYLAKTOS said:

but how can you run fast a car with such a high viscous oil?

Like this:

This was one of the hottest days of the summer.

Even before the noon the temp was over 30ºC.

There were four people in the car plus some luggage.

4 people in what is a tin can (all cars are the same) with just 4 small patch's of rubber in contact with the ground and traveling at high speed, I do think in the future we will be shocked at how we traveled and put our lives at risk it only take a split second and 4 are gone. The human body is so easy to damage.

Why have I posted this reply well I have lived a very long time and seen how humans value lives and others. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

What are the results from changing engine oil from 10W-40 to 5W-40?

First of all lower noise in Cold Start and while the car is running for few hundred meters, then one click lower temperatures (at the dashboard gauge) and much easier than before for the engine to reach the 5900 rpm limit with 2nd-3rd-4th gear in Mountain Roads.

All these with one click better Mpg than any attempt in the past:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/499328-how-much-time-do-you-warm-up-your-felicia/?do=findComment&comment=5793518

but there is more Good news !

According to the TC-6 the fuel consumption in City Traffic only is one click better that all the other measurements in the past but i have to verify this soon in the Gas Stanion.

The Winter is coming and then the 5W-40 will show if it's better or equal to 10W-40 because the driving conditions would be the same and the judgment would be harsh.

So far the 5W-40 is...''winning". ✌️

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

when you have to pay for journals and timing chains guess who would be winning

I am not a mechanic but can you explain to me in simple terms why the 5W-40 (and only this viscosity) will harm so much my engine?

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/11/2023 at 10:52, D.FYLAKTOS said:

I am not a mechanic but can you explain to me in simple terms why the 5W-40 (and only this viscosity) will harm so much my engine?

Take a look at a warmup video with 15w50 oil https://youtu.be/f9rIS-UNkBg?si=-fspr-mnwA2ahsxF

I saw it, 3:50 minutes from the 1100 rpm to 750 rpm which is the standard.

With 10W-40 mine has 3:40-45 minutes, so what's the improvement with 15W-50?

With 5W-40 till now it's about 3:40 alhtough i haven't test it yet in Winter because the temperatures here are still like Summer.

14 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

so what's the improvement with 15W-50

the improvment is that you wont blow up the engine, i made this video just to prove a point, that oil doesnt play a role in warm up times

alas 10 secs is withing margin of error

2 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

the improvment is that you wont blow up the engine

That kind of ''danger'' with the 5W is bigger in Winter or Summer?

Yes few seconds more or less was never an issue but the weird thing is that now with the 5W the car runs better the few hundred meters after Cold Start, has one click better fuel consumption and don't forget that is revving-up far better in Sport style driving.

All i am trying to understand is that the 5W will cause so much friction inside the engine parts?