Felicia Combi 1.3 - what oil?

52 minutes ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

As i have seen now, should i close my eyes or say a lie?

I have lower motor noise, less fuel consumption, the car rev-up better, should i ignore all these and say what?

I have tested Motul Synthetic and Castrol-Valvoline Semi-Synthetic, they didn't work for me, i don't want them any more in my car !

No you shouldnt but you should prioritise what is more important for you, I dont think anybody in here wants you to have a destroyed motor

10 hours ago, RicardoM said:

It's called interpolation.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Ricardo I think the service manual is an older revision than the owners manual my manual is 98MY and has the same graph as you posted but the workshop manual I have which has the same graphs as yours is of 94 so maybe they re tested and validated more viscosities? 

8 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

so maybe they re tested and validated more viscosities?

Or perhaps at the time VW signed a mutually beneficial deal with a different oil company, perhaps for a wider range of products to also cover the other VW owned car brands and models (I don't know just speculating without any evidence).

My wife's 2015 VW/Skoda Fabia has Castrol (forget which product) over the folder that holds the car's cards and Owners booklets and at Dealerships servicing Castrol engine oil products are recorded as being used, which oil company/product did VW/Skoda recommend/promote in 1994, 1997, 2000?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

According to the green colour chart (W.Manual) 10W-30 and 10W-40 have the same characteristics, you believe it?

They don't have the same performance they just have adequate performance for the application 

2 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

Haynes (for Felicia) was promoting Duckhams oils.

Duckhams, a different company to back then even, more a case of a brand name under different ownership . - https://www.duckhams.com/about-us/duckhams-heritage/

Haynes was British and Duckhams was British so bot too surprising about the tie up, note the publisher of this book off Duckhams' website. - https://www.duckhams.com/duckhams-full-story/#dearflip-df_2622/1/

I can't remember if Haynes had Duckhams in my 1974 and 1980 books.

4 minutes ago, nta16 said:

Duckhams

https://www.duckhams.com/uk/find-my-oil/?country=GBR&typeid=a8187c2b31540d9bae842be3b07a74cc

For Felicia 1.3 latest model suggests only one type of oil, the 5W-40

Duckhams QS 5W-40 MRV and oil change every 15.000Km / 12 months

https://www.duckhams.com/uk/duckhams-qs-5w-40-mrv/

I think they do it in purpose to make @Thefeliciahacker nervous. :cool:

11 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

Not 10W40 as I have advised maybe 5W50 for the widest range but 15W40 or 50 for the real mediterranean conditions

15W-40 or 15W-50 Synthetic or Semi-Synthetic?

1 hour ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

I think they do it in purpose to make @Thefeliciahacker nervous. :cool:

Yes another fully synthetic oil too.  😄

Not that I expect anyone to believe other than what they want to, this is is the internet after all, but I emailed Millers Oils and they replied "you would have no issues using a fully synthetic product".  I  also emailed Mutol (a French company owned by a lady IIRC what the chap told on their stand at the NEC a couple of years back) but no reply yet from Mutol.  I think you want Fuchs for a German connection.  Or go Polish Czech to get a bit nearer Skoda than VW. 

BTW Duckhams might be a British brand but IIRC it is part of Moove which is Comma (Brazilian), Comma also made the Halfords, Wilco and their own name Classic Motor oils, all green in colour, like Duckhams famously was, IIRC.

• Like 1

Some thoughts (translated) from a Cz Skoda Felicia forum.

https://forum.skodahome.cz/topic/54506-motorový-olej/#comments

5W40, I had it myself in 1.3 mpi in the field from 1998... and when I sold it (120,000 km) the engine ran OK and the oil did not decrease... I only changed it after approx. 15,000 km.

For Felicia, 10W-40 is ideal, i.e. semi-synthetics from well-known manufacturers

Certainly not for Felicia 0W-30,0W-40, 5W-30,5W-40, they are fully synthetic oils that dissolve carbon and destroy the engine over time. In addition, the MPI feld engine is structurally old and the pump pushes such thin oil to the valves with difficulty. ..So for this engine, a cheaper oil is better than an expensive-top one.

There was no problem until last year. I was persuaded to buy "higher quality" oil from Castrol. Although he is a class higher in quality, I don't remember his name after the new one. But it was thinner - I think 5W/40. And it clearly doesn't belong in a Felicia - the engine was noisier, especially in winter when it was cold.

The engine would only benefit from the flushing after the synthetics, but it seems that your engine works even after the 5w-40, so as long as the full synthetics also dissolved some carbon, it's already out even with the 5w-40 oil you drained.

Replacing 15W-40 oil with 10W-40 is also not recommended, because each oil has a certain density, and with a thinner oil, the oil pump could stick and reduce the oil pressure in the engine and its stickiness, or at least more wear.

I've been using 10w-40 ACEA A3 oil in my Felicia 1.3 MPI almost since the beginning (I don't know the first fill and they gave me 15W-40 at the service for the first time) and I've never encountered a problem with oil pressure when idling. If this happens, the fault must be looked for elsewhere.And if the lubrication light stays on longer after starting, it is usually caused by a poor-quality oil filter that has a bad non-return valve.

Is it OK to use 10W-40, 15W-40, 15W-50 whatever for long years and suddenly decide to change to thinner oil? It is what we should discuss IMHO.

Edited by R_Blue
typo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, R_Blue said:

suddenly decide to change to thinner oil? It is what we should discuss IMHO

I tried a synthetic oil 10W-40 and i saw that I didn't have good results in turning at high revs, i was nervous because i was forcing the car, i was burning more fuel, i had a bit of higher coolant temperature. Why? I don't know.

Amsoil was not available in that country-town so i decided to do a temporary test on 5W-40 and so far i have only seen positive results. 

So where's the weird thing of saying my impressions in a Skoda forum where other members can post their opinions?  Where is the problem anyway; 

I didn't tell you to remove the injection system and go back to the carburetor.

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

The thread started in 2009, going well. 

Bee Gees: Stayin' Alive.

On 20/11/2023 at 15:26, nta16 said:

My wife's 2015 VW/Skoda Fabia has Castrol (forget which product) over the folder that holds the car's cards and Owners booklets

Sewn on colour badge "Skoda recommends Castrol Edge Professional".

8 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

Some thoughts (translated) from a Cz Skoda Felicia forum.

Yes - but - did you not see the links to the articles about myths, pity part four wasn't available.

Millers Oils recommended Trident Professional 10w-40 (and 5w-40) that would be allowing for charging over the Welsh mountains (37.1C highest recorded air temperature) the oil is available at low cost (half the price of EE Performance at the moment) and just for it's labelled as "Fully synthetic".

Trident Professional 10w40 -

• Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt. - 14.0

https://www.millersoils.co.uk/products/trident-10w40-2/

3 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

I tried a synthetic oil 10W-40

Yes you tried 'a' synthetic oil 10W-40 - but the world is your oyster with engine oils.

Here is a 10w-50 example which I don't think you might get in Greece (but I could as always be wrong) -

Multivis MLR 10W-50 (Previously X-RPM Competition 10W-50) -

• Viscosity @ 100ºC (cSt) - 18.5
  • Viscosity @ 40ºC (cSt)  - 128.4

https://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/products/auto/automotive-engine-oils/multivis-mlr-10w-50-engine-oil.html

Edited by nta16

On 20/11/2023 at 08:44, Thefeliciahacker said:

Ricardo I think the service manual is an older revision than the owners manual my manual is 98MY and has the same graph as you posted but the workshop manual I have which has the same graphs as yours is of 94 so maybe they re tested and validated more viscosities? 

The newest Felicia Workshop Manual is dating from July 2000. It is the German edition.

I have attached the editions update page and also the page about engine oil.

Inspektion und Wartung2.jpg

Inspektion und Wartung58.jpg

• Love it! 1

14 hours ago, nta16 said:

Sewn on colour badge "Skoda recommends Castrol Edge Professional".

Many years back the repairs shops here promoted the Valvoline for Skoda.

Later some of them start ''pushing'' Aral for engine oils-coolant ''because it's from Germany" (trying to tie VW Germany,Skoda-German product).

Yes you tried 'a' synthetic oil 10W-40 - but the world is your oyster with engine oils.

I have tested 2 Motul and Amsoil Synthetic oils.

Multivis MLR 10W-50 (Previously X-RPM Competition 10W-50)

Unfortunately no Morris Multivis in Greek e-stores.

1 hour ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

but 10w40 is a no go for more than 20c environmental temp

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils

1530899d1468895133-skoda-vw-group-engine

• Thanks 1