latest fw for rns 510/columbus 2660/2666/2662/2668/2664

DSA

I burnt the files on a DVD+R at a lower 4x speed.

Used IMG burn, is freeware.

The navi forum mentioned that a DVD+R is a save medium, as the RNS reads this better (?).

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Lard viewpost.gif

Has anyone got the MFSW working properly with this? Mine currently only operates the volume buttons, might chnaging the F/W help?

Yes... see this comment here :cool:

Quote:

So this is what has to be done to get the multifunction buttons to work:

1. Extract files PQTABLE and SKTABLE from image (use magiciso or ultraiso). Files can be found from path: \VUCI\B101\RNSMIDEC\PROG

2. Switch the filenames by just renaming SKTABLE to PQTABLE and vice versa

3. Owerwrite the renamed files back to image and save the image. Burn this image to DVD or CD.

4. Load or reload the Firmware to your RNS-510 (I had to reload the edited image. Took about 40 minutes.)

5. Voilá… buttons are back and its about time to pop a six pack! =)

...on an 2005 Octavia II :thumbup:

Guess who wrote that on my-gti? ;)

I´ll have to add this comment on the topic. First when i installed my Columbus over a month ago i only got volume and mute buttons working on the driving wheel. After that i upgraded the CAN-gateway box from F--> S -version. I could not code the columbus in right bfore that wit VCDS. After that all the fault codes went away and all the steering wheel buttons started to work. So it was only this 2664 FW-upgrade which killed the buttons without editing the filenames on FW-image.

So Keith L. i guess you might either have too old CAN-gateway or the Columbus is not coded right to the gateway. Do you have any fault codes when you check with the VCDS?

BtW.... firmwarewise i could not get Verbatim CD/R to work so i used DVD+R instead which worked like a charm.

Edited by $kodillac

Ebay bargain... straight from Czech Republik. No seals broken. Sold as new unit. There even was a shield membrane on the display. Zero marks of usage (fingerprints wiped clean ;)). No original code card included though. Thinking that it is maybe a refurb or some factory leftower unit. I heard those are made also in Czech so maybe it got smugled out of the factory back door or something. I guess i´m one of the lucky&inglorious basterds... :crown:

I was paranoid about the battery power so i went and connected a smart battery charger bfore the firmware upgrade.

I think it is the F-gateway which just gannot work rite with Columbus. I think i had errors on 19 and 37. It whined about wrong coding. My unit is HW04 and 1004 was the starting point.

Edited by $kodillac

:uglyhamme

You cant be to careful... can you? :rofl: Arent you guys also using allways 2 rubbers? ...to be honest i have had some dead battery episodes last year so just playing safe.

Another piece of fact. My unit was bfore 1Z0 035 680 A and became 3T0 035 680 A after the upgrade. Not upgraded to B -unit as said on my-gti.com information.

Edited by $kodillac

Not all eBay units are dodgy. Mine was from eBay only had a sticker for the code and has upgraded 3 times now without any problems. Seals are all intact though.

As for the hidden menu you have to activate it through VCDS with this firmware you can hold setup for as long as you want and nothing will happen if you haven't enabled it through VCDS.

I posted the instructions earlier on in this thread on how to do it.

Carl :thumbup:

As for the hidden menu you have to activate it through VCDS with this firmware you can hold setup for as long as you want and nothing will happen if you haven't enabled it through VCDS.

... or if you haven't modified a file on firmware CD before upgrading :D

About stolen/found/etc units - if they are decoded by brute-force method, then there should be soldering marks on left side of EEPROM, I draw a red circle around it in simbo99 picture:

attachment.php?attachmentid=30263&stc=1&d=1251726577

But on newer units code can be read and calculated without soldering.

30263.attach

Nice one josi. Thanks very much for that.

Why does that cause the gateway error in the upgrade process though?

Any idea how the people who say they can repair them do it?

I've only gone and f*****g fixed it! :D

I was following the procedure details here re the downgrade thing and it bloody worked! I couldn't get the 1100 firmware to do the downgrade trick so downloaded the 900 firmware linked to earlier in this topic and put that in at the 'Insert SWL CD' when you first turn it on. This brought up the menu and I hit ok, then cancel. This then said 'User cancelled' as expected. Then I did the '<', '>' and mic reboot NOT the SWL reset one and left the CD in. I got the error can't downgrade. Did the '<', '>' and mic again and the radio kicked in and I'm unbricked!

Slightly happy, as you may be able to tell. HDD is working fine. Not determined what version I'm on but I don't care to be honest. My problem was on Sat I was always using the 'setup', mic and eject reset, not the other one. Using that it works fine, in my case.

Hopefully this will work for you guys as well. I'm never doing a firmware update ever again!

Why does that cause the gateway error in the upgrade process though?

Any idea how the people who say they can repair them do it?

AFAIK they are using some special cable with software, which is available in the gray market for ~600Eur. But no one can certainly say what causes gateway error and they can't fix it, they just bypass it until next upgrade. Probably this is due to some invalid checksum in EEPROM.

This is all mighty interesting! ...tried the alternative reboot & got this:

x31082009746.jpg

...still haven't had the balls to do the upgrade yet despite Carl's assurances! :D

Hey rllmuk... so glad to hear you're back up n running!! :thumbup:

Any closer to unbricking Nick/Scouter2/kryppe ??

That screen is what I was permanently stuck in post the 2660 firmware gateway error. Never want to see it again!

I have seen this screen for a short time (with the VW logo),but the update process went on. Was shocked already and prepared to go alternative routes (back to fw 1100). But fortunately it went on and it still works.

Here's how I got on...

My car - Octy II (pre FL) with factory fitted RNS510 & MFSW, then retro fitted with OEM Bluetooth and MFSW switches for voice activated dialing.

Burnt the image (without modification) on to a Sony CD-R at 4x using Nero 5.5 on a Toshiba Tecra laptop.

During loading -

started.jpg

End of process -

done.jpg

Issues I now have, both of which have been reported by others -

1) MFSW controls: Audio only (volume & forward/back) no longer work, however, voice activated dialling does!

2) Telephone: Columbus reports no user connected, while calls can be made via maxidot or voice...

Screen shot - showing signal strength, only active button is Green (of hook)

incall.jpg

After pressing Green -

pressgreen.jpg

During call (incoming & out going) -

fonescrn.jpg

The deails of activating the missing MFSW controls have already been posted, but if anyone can shed any light on the "No User Connected" issue I'd be very grateful :thumbup:

BTW: I don't have VCDS :thumbdwn:

Hi wega, any progress?

No :( . Nobody has a fw1004 disc.

So me, you and kryppe are all still in the same boat?

I can't justify the £100 for sending it to Poland at the moment. Maybe next month.