Get it Ready For Winter

MoggyTech

• 2 weeks later...

I will be sticking with winters and summers, time to get rid of wife's old Polo winters on steelies and get some new ones for her new car before the prices start rising. I've noticed that a serious number of cars went through summer, I'm guessing, with their winter tyres on, due to my laziness and lack of use, my S4 is one of them, so that is one job less to do! 

Toying with whether to bother with winter rubber this year. If I was still doing my daily 70mile round trip commute, no question I would fit them, but with just a short drive to the station now on slow moving local roads, I'm not sure if my use warrants it any more.

In the event of a massive snowfall, I'll have my Michelin rope-based snow chains in the boot. Not that West London has had that level of snow for a while.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been a bought a big stock of the excellent VW/Audi/Skoda  super  -70 degree screenwash which will last me the whole winter. New Winter tyres are waiting on rims in the garage and the snow shovel has been found.   I have a couple of trips to the North of Scotland and the North Pennines planned this winter so it is bound to snow when I am there.

• 1 month later...

Got both cars on Winter Tyres. Winter screen wash in. Temps here now getting down to 0 degrees c and the winter tyres are a welcome. 

IMG_5194_zpshfw7rpzm.jpg

IMG_5195%201_zps2rakc7kh.jpg

Shall get some pics of the Octavia on the winter alloy set

Edited by Delboy001

Got both cars on Winter Tyres. Winter screen wash in. Temps here now getting down to 0 degrees c and the winter tyres are a welcome. 

IMG_5194_zpshfw7rpzm.jpg

IMG_5195%201_zps2rakc7kh.jpg

Shall get some pics of the Octavia on the winter alloy set

those are your winter alloys? nice. AFter a few frosty days last minth we're now back up around a balmy 10 degrees due to the jetstream being in the "wrong" place

those are your winter alloys? nice. AFter a few frosty days last minth we're now back up around a balmy 10 degrees due to the jetstream being in the "wrong" place

Yes I have a winter set of alloys and the summer set of alloys. Initial cost is high but they last a few years and it works out cheaper over the long run then, having to pay to swap tyres on the rim twice a year. Here in Czech its law to have winter tyres from the 1st November. 

Yes I have a winter set of alloys and the summer set of alloys. Initial cost is high but they last a few years and it works out cheaper over the long run then, having to pay to swap tyres on the rim twice a year. Here in Czech its law to have winter tyres from the 1st November.

Winter steel wheels are cheaper :-)

We had our first snow yesterday so far my cross climate tyres haven't been really tested though

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

They used to be...

Over £200 for a set on new bog std OE boring steel wheels is IMO madness when a VGC set of OE alloys can be bought for the same amount.

• Like 1

and who wants a car that looks terrible half the year.

i have found a ready market for my old winter alloy wheels when i have changed my car.

• Like 1

and who wants a car that looks terrible half the year.

i have found a ready market for my old winter alloy wheels when i have changed my car.

from where I sit I can't see what they look like  :D

They used to be...

Over £200 for a set on new bog std OE boring steel wheels is IMO madness when a VGC set of OE alloys can be bought for the same amount.

Agreed. When I bought my Rapid last year and started sorting out winter boots for it, I was going to get steels. Even scabby 2nd hand sets were north of £130. In the end I bought a decent condition set of 15inch OE Audi A3 alloy rims (same size and spec as my OE Skoda rims) for £60 (for a set of 5, so even have a spare).

Seems there are no shortage of good, cheap OE alloy sets out there, decent steels seem rarer, hence more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

We had our first snow yesterday so far my cross climate tyres haven't been really tested though

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

No snow here yet, thankfully. I do like it but the slush and muck followed is awful. Steel rims today are no way cheaper. You still have to buy the rubber and a hub cap if you don't want the car to look nasty. Hub caps are stupidly expensive. 40 notes for one. 160 for four is a joke. Then you have to worry about them being stolen. As others say, they also look terrible.  The alloys worked out (in my case) slightly cheaper then steelies with hub caps. 

They used to be...

Thats cheap by you. Here for an Octavia 16 inch steel wheel with tyre, your looking around £180 a piece.

Agreed. When I bought my Rapid last year and started sorting out winter boots for it, I was going to get steels. Even scabby 2nd hand sets were north of £130. In the end I bought a decent condition set of 15inch OE Audi A3 alloy rims (same size and spec as my OE Skoda rims) for £60 (for a set of 5, so even have a spare).

Seems there are no shortage of good, cheap OE alloy sets out there, decent steels seem rarer, hence more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

The second hand market for OE wheels is massive here. You go on the Czech equivalent of Ebay and its flooded with them. Not just VW / Audi group but makes across the board. 

If your Skoda has been sitting for a while and it has been raining lately it is maybe an idea to go open the doors and let H20 drain out the doors in some models before freezing weather arrives.

Or just the passengers door if it has not been used recently.

Edited by goneoffSKion1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If your Skoda has been sitting for a while and it has been raining lately it is maybe an idea to go open the doors and let H20 drain out the doors in some models before freezing weather arrives.

Or just the passengers door if it has not been used recently.

Always makes me laff in a morning when the car needs a little wee.

Never looked where it comes from but seems to be loads of the stuff!

• 10 months later...

Now the clocks have gone back and it's dark driving home from work, you get stuck behind all the people who cant drive in the dark....

Weaving around, struggling to get over 30mph etc when a car comes towards them they slow right down

Whilst I sympathise with people with health issues/eyesight problems. ..Some of them really shouldn't be driving.

Weaving around, struggling to get over 30mph etc when a car comes towards them they slow right down

I'm guilty of this, but only due to high beams and headlights pointed a bit high! Really irritating, but generally not an issue if you're on the highways (a little flick of the mirror stops my retinas burning up, wing mirror adjustment needed on occasion!)

Some of these newer cars have horrible headlights that end up blinding you from behind. No idea why.

edit: today wasn't too bad. Just the odd set of high beams or badly adjusted headlights on other cars, but a little squinting and I went past ok. I  guess it's only high beams in your face on twist country roads that a problem!

Edited by bspman

• 11 months later...

Perhaps it's not the car that needs to get ready for winter, but the driver. How many drivers find an icy empty car park and get into skid on ice mode ready for when they might have problems. But then , this skid preparation is for one real purpose- TO TEACH HOW TO DRIVE SO AS NOT TO SKID.

That's from the thoughts of an older driver ( 50+ years on road, with at least 2.5million miles under belt in conditions from desert sands & waterlogged roads to dig yourself out snow & ice).

Edited by VWD