Horrific R8 Crash

BigW

Have you noticed that modern safety barriers have a square end with a black and yellow plate on them? They used to just curve down to the ground, like a ramp. I wonder why they have been changed to this design, surely they are more dangerous (as that car has demonstrated)?

Edited by Jim H

Have you noticed that modern safety barriers have a square end with a black and yellow plate on them? They used to just curve down to the ground, like a ramp. I wonder why they have been changed to this design, surely they are more dangerous (as that car has demonstrated)?

Cases of cars being launched into other traffic AFAIK. So now you just get a dead stop if you hit the end of the barrier, quite literally.

Wow, that is a nasty little prang.

The R8 has offerend no protection what so ever.

I can't see how the car, driven smack into the sharp end of a barrier, can possibly offer any protection unless it was made out of 6" thick steel. And even then it would be questionable!

Protection gets better all the time, but the laws of physics can't be altered!

I agree with that completley, there are only so many eventual outcomes a car can practically be designed to withstand, hence the NCAP methods of testing front on, offset head on, sideswipe etc.

There is another R8 Crash on the net, (I wont post it here as the driver died) and the passenger cell held up perfectly, had the occupant been wearing a seatbelt he would have survived fine too.