Worst aspects of the Octavia

2 weeks in and the only thing so far that I think could be a bit better are the speedo markings - 30,50,70 are none too clear.

Agreed.

Will try and suss out how to change the digital speed so that is in MPH not Km/h!!

Unfortunately you can't.

Any ideas how ?

Yes, it's either a dealer job or someone with the VAG-COM/VCDS stuff to recode it for you. Sorry, I don't know how to recode it.

I found mine very light when I first got it and had I known would have asked the dealer to adjust it, but now I've largely got used to it. I still find it a little light on turn in, but it's great in a multi-story car park.

Edited by Phil_P

As stated before the water entering boot when opened and misting up.Very thin paint on body that scratches easily.Also after rain when opening side windows all the water pours in onto door cards,switches etc.

On the plus side: No road noise as others have reported,no wind noise,very comfy seats,amazing fuel economy etc etc (TDi Ambiente model) :thumbup:

Also every day since I've had the car I've had to scrape the ice off the windscreen - my last car was a 2003 Mondeo with front screen demister and I _SO_ miss it! (I hasten to add though that it's the ONLY thing I miss about that car and I'll never buy another Ford).

Bob

--

tis a shame ford own the patent. They could make loads of money if they sold it to other manufacturers.

tis a shame ford own the patent. They could make loads of money if they sold it to other manufacturers.

I'm sure they've offered it to other manufacturers but have a feeling they must charge quite a lot for the privilege... My dad's E-Class has a heated windscreen, but I've not seen it on anything other than a "premium" German car or something from the Ford group... Shame really, as I'd have ordered one if ot was available (and not a stupidly priced option)

Lack of:

- rear window wiper;

- radio controls on the wheel;

- USB input for Stream MP3;

- electric folding mirrors;

- heated spray nozzles for the windscreen.

Anyway the DSG compensates it all. :) I'm in love with this DirectShiftGear thing.

Are you sure Phil? The handbook refers to it on p33 - thought about trying to follow this - I've got the Maxidot computer.

The UK models can't change the kph in the maxidot to mph as EU law states that all cars sold in the EU must show kph at all times and as the FL speedo in the UK only has mph markings it's fixed. Someone with VCDS may be able to overcome this limitation, but as sold in the UK it can't be changed

The manual has some wonderful Czechlish at times and is sometimes a little unclear about what can and can't be done :)

Are you sure Phil? The handbook refers to it on p33 - thought about trying to follow this - I've got the Maxidot computer.

AFAIK the speed display on the Maxidot is the opposite of the actual speedo. If you have a kph speedo as we do the Maxidot displays mph and if you have an mph speedo the Maxidot displays kph. The feature is there for you guys who have the ability to drive in different countries with different speed systems (metric or imperial).

The UK models can't change the kph in the maxidot to mph as EU law states that all cars sold in the EU must show kph at all times and as the FL speedo in the UK only has mph markings it's fixed. Someone with VCDS may be able to overcome this limitation, but as sold in the UK it can't be changed

The manual has some wonderful Czechlish at times and is sometimes a little unclear about what can and can't be done :)

AFAIK the speed display on the Maxidot is the opposite of the actual speedo. If you have a kph speedo as we do the Maxidot displays mph and if you have an mph speedo the Maxidot displays kph. The feature is there for you guys who have the ability to drive in different countries with different speed systems (metric or imperial).

That's my understanding too from what I've read here :thumbup:

I'm sure they've offered it to other manufacturers but have a feeling they must charge quite a lot for the privilege... My dad's E-Class has a heated windscreen, but I've not seen it on anything other than a "premium" German car or something from the Ford group... Shame really, as I'd have ordered one if ot was available (and not a stupidly priced option)

Having said that, I find the built-in defrost/demist really quick, considering it needs the engine to warm up. Within a couple of minutes, with the front screen boost turned on, it is ready to go, even in the recent bad weather. No doubt in other areas where the ice was even thicker and colder it will take longer, but so will anything.

Lack of:

- rear window wiper;

- radio controls on the wheel;

- USB input for Stream MP3;

- electric folding mirrors;

- heated spray nozzles for the windscreen.

Anyway the DSG compensates it all. :) I'm in love with this DirectShiftGear thing.

You haven't got a rear wiper?

What I find interesting about this thread is that many of the "issues" are down to the spec levels people have and could be easily changed - not much is fundamental to the car itself... (if you knw what I mean)

What I find interesting about this thread is that many of the "issues" are down to the spec levels people have and could be easily changed - not much is fundamental to the car itself... (if you knw what I mean)

Yeah, not much wrong with the car itself.

I'd even say the digital km/h display is a good thing, if it educates us Brits in sensible metric units. IMO we should forget about miles as soon as possible anyway, as the Irish have.

As for actual car problems, could say wind & road noise, but it doesn't really bother me as I tend to listen to music or radio any way and don't expect silent journeys.

• 1 month later...

A few weeks of driving a FL 1.4 TSI SE under the belt now, generally very pleased, but 2 things stick out (apart from the niggly things like the over-complicated door locks):

(1) brake pedal height - I've noticed no-one else remark on this so it must be just me. Or maybe it's just a new FL feature. Irrespective, can it be adjusted in any way? To clarify, when I say height, I don't just mean just the height from the floor, rather the closeness to the driver - it's a good inch or more closer than the accelerator. No matter how I set up the seat and steering wheel adjustments, I still find my right foot crooked at a more acute angle than I would like leaving me with a slight ache after a long journey. It's a shame, for the last few cars I owned were Fords in which the pedals almost intuitively fell underfoot once you had the seat and steering wheel suitably adjusted.

(2) firm seats - OK, all german seats are firm and I've no problem with the driver's seat back but the base is proving to be a slight pain in the a*** - literally. As a sciatica sufferer I'm finding the seats produce mild discomfort in the left leg when I use the foot rest or otherwise maintain my left foot in the vicinity of the clutch. However, I've discovered that withdrawing the left foot from the footwell and placing it sole down on the floor (a knee up under the steering wheel position) eases the situation a bit over longer journeys. This of course is not terribly practical when changing gear. My conclusion is that the culprits are the seat squabs on the base (which are quite pronounced) and that the knee up position I've described lifts my left, ahem, buttock sufficiently to release some of the pressure. Knowledge that the squabs are there for support during cornering does little to alleviate the discomfort. I'm assuming this is something I will have to live with, unless someone tells me a way to adjust the squabs (I couldn't find anything in the car or manual).

Edited by Cauliflower

Only had my vRS for 3 weeks but just wanted to say that all the little faults (water in boot, creaky dash etc) are far outweighed by the good points. My main problem is that when I washed it on Sunday I slipped a disc in my back and am now off work!! and more importantly I am unable to polish it. lol. :sick:

Surprised to hear about the discomfort.

With the steering column going up and down and the seat going up and down and to and fro there should be a comfortable position for hips , knees , feet and ankles. Mine is excellent and I appreciate the large foot rests on both sides when on cruise control.

• Like 1

The foot rests, or rather the one by the accelerator pedal, are probably my biggest gripe. This appears to be the same on the Golf and A3 too. The problem is the footrest on the right hand side is higher than the one on the left. I've had terrible back ache problems when driving our Scout over long distances and using the cruise control a lot and I think its because of this. The problem is you can't just pop your foot under the accelerator pedal (like you can on say my old Focus) as the pedal is mounted on the floor not from above. Why they are different heights I don't know, but no matter how I have the seat set up I get the same problem. I am yet to do a long journey in my FL Elegance to know if the softer seats of the Elegance make it any better.

Other than that I am really pleased with my new car. There is a large part of me that wishes I'd spent the extra money on the 1.8 rather than the 1.4 as it just feels a touch underpowered sometimes, but I'm too used to a 2.0 TDCI Focus which had so much torque, so I need to adjust a bit. Hopefully as the 1.4 loosens up it should get better - its already feeling better than it did when I first picked it up.

Wind noise. Otherwise it's a decent car at a decent price. It doesn't have the comfort or the refinement of a top marque car, but at the end of the day I didn't pay for a top marque car. :)

Will definitely buy another one next time around.

same for me.....wind around the wing mirrors and at around 50mph.....it aint the quietest car.

also begining to find the limits of the sound system.........no bass to speak of

otherwise still loving it after a year

Out of curiosity...

Has anyone gone from an Octy 2 with Sports Suspension + Pegasus wheels up to a vRS?

Just wondering how much firmer the ride would be - i.e. would they fit the same suspension to both types of cars...

On my FL VRS after 3 months, and 6000 miles

1) Road noise ... from poor dunlop tyres?

2) No stereo controls on stalk / steering wheel

3) Having to press unlock twice in quick succession to open all doors ... need to get garage to change (no maxidot)

4) Ipod controls on stereo (MDI).... sometimes ipod reverts to very first song on ipod, and always it looses a repeat setting from a previous journey

Otherwise all good :)

After three month of owning my 1.8TSi SE its mostly good, but here is what I don't like:

• Fuel economy, not terrible but could be better
  • Dip beam headlights aren't great
  • A bit too much road noise
  • Seat height adjustment also alters the angle of the seat base and also alters the fore/aft position slightly
  • Lack of steering wheel stereo controls
  • Symbols on heater distribution control are hard to see
  • Heating and ventilation system is quite noisy even with fan on position 1

Road noise.

Engine stall when not quite enough revs and the sudden jolting stop.

Crap heating during cold weather - previous Peugeots I had (and the wife's current 206SW) were blasting out hot air within 2 miles of a cold start in winter; don't get that with Octy.