'Water Ingress Problem'........SOLVED!

Baker21

No problem Sam, I have spoke to Ross so will PM you his number............... emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Hi, where is Ross based - I think I could do with him working his magic on my Superb?

I am in the Milton Keynes area.

Thanks

Pete

• 4 months later...

All the electrics on my car work, apart from the drivers door. Neither of the puddle lights work (the one in the base of the door, and the one in the mirror). Also it doesn't bong to let you know you've left your lights on, every other VAG I've owned has done this.

Do you think this will be due to water ingress.

I can't feel any damp...

Have you pulled the carpet back?? i did mine this morning carpet was dry on the top but when it was pulled back it was damp underneath.Sorted now tho.....couple of hours with the wifes hair dryer on full blast...lol..Ive re-sealed the polen filter housing so fingers crossed....

Well I got started on re-sealing and checking the whole car today.

Didn't manage to pull the carpet up as it took me 3 and a half bloody hours JUST to seal the pollen filter area and do the drain plugs.

This is what I found. The seal was damaged and SOAKING, there was water down the hole of the pollen filter. Oh dear.

2127023e.jpg

f53ecb55.jpg

My car had blood all over it, need to wash it before I get pulled and accused of things! :rofl:

8a33300d.jpg

20a8429d.jpg

And this is what my hand looked like afterwards.

9d265dd4.jpg

It's all sealed now anyway.

I'll set on checking under the carpets, and repairing anything that looks like it may be on it's way out.

• Like 2

Well it's all sealed now so should prevent any problems.

There is a small amount of water in the footwells but everything still works apart from the drivers door puddle lights.

Sent from my iPhone using klatapaT.

I went at checking the wires under the carpet today after doing the fix for the pollen filter earlier in the week.

I'm posting up some of my pictures as they're always helpful for future people who attempt this.

Carpet was sodden underneath, infact a fair amount of water came out if I squeezed it however it felt dry from above so I'd advise checking even if it feels dry.

Fortunately my CECU was dry.

The wires entering it were completely sodden though....

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

A lot of the parts were multiple wires connected together were corroded and the copper had oxidised so I stripped the wires back to find shiny copper and set about soldering them back together and re-sealing.

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

After I'd done all of the parts that required attention I sealed it all up.

IMG_1085.jpg

Drying with the hair dryer!

IMG_1068.jpg

I actually forgot to take any more pictures as I got carried away with getting it done.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Well it finally happened, Ive had my Superb Mk I for a year and its been fine but following a day of torrential rain last week I came out of work to find my footwell was 2" deep in water!!!!

However in my case its the drivers side, most of the cases im reading about seem to affect the passenger side due to the pollen filter seal, Does anyone know if there is a seperate problem or ingress point that affects the driver footwell as my passenger side seems fine? Its happened twice in a week now so i need to get it sorted asap

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Well it finally happened, Ive had my Superb Mk I for a year and its been fine but following a day of torrential rain last week I came out of work to find my footwell was 2" deep in water!!!!

However in my case its the drivers side, most of the cases im reading about seem to affect the passenger side due to the pollen filter seal, Does anyone know if there is a seperate problem or ingress point that affects the driver footwell as my passenger side seems fine? Its happened twice in a week now so i need to get it sorted asap

Thanks

Quite possibly the bonnet release cable grommit, it's to the left of the big box of electronics in the plenum chamber.

The grommet only fails if idiots pull the front of the car into the service position without disconnecting the bonnet release cable at the coupling - which is put there for the purpose. I have seen this happen after a Superb (not mine) went to a "Skoda" dealer for a cambelt change, together with quite a few other things not put back properly including the front part of the undertray where it slots into the bumper skin.

The dealer was not exactly gushing with apologies when I pointed all this out. I wonder what sort of a job they made of the engine...

rotodiesel.

• 2 weeks later...

Give the driver's door a good soaking (particularly the window), and then have a look at the door rubber to see if there is any water on it. On mine the seal between the carrier (which has the motors mounted to it) and the door had perished / been damaged by a poor repair. It was letting water in between the door and the door trim, over the rubber and into / under the carpet. A surprising amount was coming in this way. Sealed it with Shell Tixophalte which has the advantage of working on wet surfaces and being easy-ish to remove (messy though, like roadtar in a tube). See youtube video here (picture / thousand words yada yada)

Edited by jimbof
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

Superb Edition 100 - 100000 miles and now have water ingress, however, it's the REAR DRIVER side footwell. Even more confusing is the water is pooling towards the middle of the car?? Door seals all seem fine and nothing obvious.

All comments/help welcome.

cont'd...

Removed about half a litre of water from underneath my battery - suctioned out.

Wet vac all of the water from the rear driver's side footwell. Check all around to see if any where else is wet and notice nothing.

Footwell carpet still damp, but no visible signs of water.

Go for a quick spin in dry sunny conditions and the rear footwell is sodden again!! :@

Please- any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Probably a bit late for this, but if you don't want to take the carpet out, it would always be possible to carefully drill a few drain holes in the floorpan - just fill them with a rubber grommet when the water's drained out.

Personally, if it were me, I'd do both - lift the carpet and drill a couple of holes from inside the car to outside, to ensure there's nothing in the way of the drill bit - but using a bit-stop would allow you to accurately drill only a mm or two deep, which should be safe enough (I'd drill drain holes because I don't have a wet/dry vacuum and my oil extractor seals have gone so no suction anymore).

Lifting the carpet isn't something that everyone would want to attempt as it does require a fair bit of trim removal including the seat to do a proper job, and trim removal has its own headaches (like myriad different clips to break) - and replacing the trim after is always a headache.

Coincidentally, tomorrow's job for me is to remove and re-seal the pollen filter housing. I'm intending to use a variation on a theme and reseal using mastic strip normally used for roof vent installation on caravans and motorhomes, as it's elastic and resistant to vibration and will adhere better to almost anything (including skin!) than silicone will.

• 2 months later...

Have a '56 model. Have water problem but with a slight difference. Only rear footwells seem to have water. 18 months ago lights in roof above dsh/brd and visor mirror lights stopped wkg., footwells, boot and glove comptmnt OK. About 1 mth ago all lights started again, great! 10 days later they stopped, now including footwells, boot, glv.cmpt. etc. Day later noticed wet in rear footwells especially nearside which shows on surface tho' offside squelches when pressed. No squelching or evidence of water in front footwells. Could the source of my problem be something different from what is appearing in this topic responses? Will drill holes to release water of course. Thanks for all the info.

Under the carpet is the worlds biggest sponge. It will holds loads and loads of water. The top surface will feel dry unless you have a real serious amount of water in your car. The water will make it way to the back footwells when on level ground. Going from the front to the back of the car it will pass the CCM module - and knacker it if water gets in it (It is located at the lowest point in the front fottwell. The wiring harness is wrapped with a tape material which also absorbs water and hold the damp next to the wires and the nodes which are simply coppers wires twisted togeather inside a plastic sleave. These get oxidized and stop conducting - hence the lights and stuff stop working. You could drill holes or alternatively there is a large rubber bung in the back rear footwells. They are not so obvouse depending on how much underseal is applied to your car. It is simpler and safer to pull these out than to drill random holes. If you do not lift the carpet I doubt it will ever really dry.

• Like 1

Thanks Nacuck for this helpful reply especially re the rear rubber bungs. Have seen on this topic reference to removing the plugs under the battery etc compartment so that water can drain away, giving the impression that they should in effect be discarded permanently so that the build up of gung etc which blocks the drain holes in the plugs shouldn't re-occur. But surely the plugs are there for a purpose and if the drain holes in these plugs are kept free of gung, water will not be able to build up? Or am I too trusting. Have been using a strong vaccum cleaner to suck out water thro' the carpets prior to carpet removal etc (time being the problem at present) and must have taken several pints from the passenger rear footwell already. Car currently raised at the front on ramps to get more water out. Rear Bungs out tomorrow I hope.

• 1 month later...

Well guys I have been on here for a long time now and have always said, I have never had the water ingress problem, well I now have........... emoticon-0149-no.gif

With all the recent bad weather and me having use of an Audi A6, I had left the Superb sat out back for over a month or so, with all the snow and ice nicely dripping into the pollen filter area. I ended up replacing the battery over the cold period, through fault of my own, having left my other mobile docked on charge in the car.......... emoticon-0145-shake.gif

Having replaced the battery, I had obviously disturbed the pollen filter area and over the last two weeks, started to loose my interior lamps, boot lamps, door lamps, etc.

Now I had read all the threads in here and had a PM chat with Gizmo68 but decided I would get the help of someone that knows what they are doing, that person is ofcourse Ross......... emoticon-0143-smirk.gif

Below are some pics of Ross working his magic on the car and for those of you that think my car is never used and always spottless well, these pics show it in it's daily form, so here we go, figured that these pics may be of use to some of you guys on here, the comments I have put with the pics are Ross's that I have pulled off Facebook........ emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I think all these live wires should be joined together, that be why the interior lights dont be working:

140210004.jpg

Water, eck:

140210005.jpg

Repaired and re loomed:

140210006.jpg

Conv ECu fortunately dry, floor however not:

140210007.jpg

Stripping out scuttle area to get to pollen filter housing:

140210008.jpg

In bits:

140210010.jpg

140210009.jpg

All clean ready to be resealed:

140210011.jpg

Fudged seal:

140210012.jpg

Ross just has a few more bits to do tomorrow and I will pick the car back up but I have to say I am glad I let him do it.......... emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I know that this is a problem all Superb driver's may encounter at some stage so I hope the pics are helpful.

This link may also be of use:

Fixing Passat Leak

Or this useful post by Gizmo68:

http://briskoda.net/...r-ingress-cure/

Did u had to cut out all the wires and re wire them?I have none of my door puddle light or boot light or my mirror lights working!!

I had water ingress on the Golf, it was from the pollen filter, sealed it with loads of gutter seal and bolted it back in, job done, also water was coming on from the door speakers in the rear, this is because after market bigger speakers were fitted and the plastic inside the door had been cut.

Now you have all the mats up I would hire a dehumidifier and leave in the car for as long as you can.