1.2 TSI real MPG

Nake

Here are my updated figures for my 1.2 DSG :

The average consumption is now 12l/100km, so 24 mpg. The first year, it was about 26. I make a mix of city driving, country roads and speedways at 110km/h. I drive very smoothly, always in "D", no heavy foot at all. I blame the DSG for these miserable figures. I feel it is almost always on too long gears. It is for me not mainly a disappointment, but a real concern. Too bad, I like so much the car, but it becomes really too expensive to drive.

Something's not right. Our display shows around 36 for normal "knocking around", and 40 ish for longer runs. Off to France in it in 3 weeks so expecting big numbers then (of miles per gallon :D )

I suspect he used US gallons to convert his mileage instead of UK gallons...

I think 12l/100km =23.537mpg-using imperial gallons-If his 12 figure is correctly calculated and if my maths is right (both assumptions one of which is bold) then he has a very sick Yeti or a very heavy right foot.

I do quite a few miles in my Yeti so went for the new 110bhp 2.0 diesel 2wd Urban, then had it re-maped upto 160bhp!

She's 1 month old and has done almost 3000 miles. She now does between 58 and 65mpg on my 56 mile round trip to work.This is around half fast A roads at around 70mph and smaller A & B roads at 30-50mph so I get a good return. On longer runs at 80mph on motorways, I only get around 48-50mpg. This would be loads more if I had a 6th gear rather than just 5, but I suppose the standard 110bhp Urban didn't have the power for 6?

I think 12l/100km =23.537mpg-using imperial gallons-If his 12 figure is correctly calculated and if my maths is right (both assumptions one of which is bold) then he has a very sick Yeti or a very heavy right foot.

Yes, I used imperial gallons for conversion, not US. I'm honestly convinced I don't have a heavy foot. I was doing doing a lot better with my previous Nissan Terrano. And I get the same numbers when my wife us driving, or when I use the cruise control. These are also average numbers: the absolute best I ever had was 32 mpg. But sometimes, it can be as low as about 20 mpg in town.

I sometimes complaint at my dealer, but they say they've checked and everything is OK. "it is normal". They are the official and only Skoda dealers (in Belgium D'Ietren has a monopoly on Audi and VW, Seat and Skoda cars).

As I said, I'm almost sure this is because of the DSG that keeps me in 6 or 7th gear even at 50 km/h in city traffic... And also probably the too small motor.

Anyway, thanks for all your informations !

Edited by Blu-jack

All the other people with the 1.2 DSG seem to be averaging about the same as my CR140 DSG.

The 1.2 DSG is more economical than the manual 1.2.

It really depends on how many miles you do as has been mentioned many times before.

Coming down driving at the speed limit to Newquay on Wednesday night I only achieved around 39 mpg in the diesel. It is a very hilly route that I came down. The journey was about 270 miles and I drove gently. It took about 4 3/4 hrs.

Until I hit the A303, it was averaging about 43-44mpg.

I have done this same journey before with a similar result. It seems to be the terrain. Whereas a long motorway journey I will get about 4 mpg more.

It does sound like you have a big problem, either your right foot, or something to do with the car.

The DSG equipped CR140 diesel is not an economical car. Just look at 900,000, Bahnstomer or my signatures.

• 5 months later...

The average consumption is now 12l/100km, so 24 mpg. The first year, it was about 26. I make a mix of city driving, country roads and speedways at 110km/h. I drive very smoothly, always in "D", no heavy foot at all. I blame the DSG for these miserable figures. I feel it is almost always on too long gears. It is for me not mainly a disappointment, but a real concern. Too bad, I like so much the car, but it becomes really too expensive to drive.

I have 1.2 manual and never had one with DSG, but hearing your data makes me speechless. Your yeti is far too expensive to drive! All I can say about my 1.2 petrol consumption is that now, with 5850 miles, I notice a difference. At first I was disappointed that I was far behind factory units, but now, I spend less and less money. I still think yeti absorbs petrol at high speed with air conditioner on and heavy weight. Not very happy with heavy traffic and first mile in cold mornings, but I think it takes time while an engine "works out".

And due to driving variations, consumption may differ even if it is one single (the same) driver. The best I've ever done was my countryside trip last weekend (110 km of up and down country roads by 50-70 km/h, a short visit to a small city, 40 km of highway, but not faster than 100 km/h).= 6.3/100 l/km. I'm still not sure this is possible. No driving contribution, just had fun and enjoyed sightseeing. (Sorry about my English, hope it's understandable).

I swapped an 2,0 diesel DSG Octy Estate for a 1.2 DSG Yeti in March this year. Must admit I was a bit worried about the power of the 1.2 engine even though I had test driven a 1.2 Yeti before ordering. There is no doubt that the petrol Yeti is different to drive than the diesel Octy and there is certainly less power available at higher speeds. However, the 1.2 has been a very pleasant surprise with more than enough power to cope with day-to-day motoring and drives at the same speeds as the diesel engined Octy, just much, much quieter! I was getting 49 MPG in the Octy after 60,000 miles and I am getting 39 MPG in the Yeti - but at less than 2,000 miles the consumption is likely to improve as the engine loosens up. The roadholding seems better in the Yeti partly due, no doubt, to the much lower engine weight of the petrol unit which results in more neutral cornering and a lighter feel - makes it more fun to drive and coupled with the higher seating position gives a great driving experience. Motorway cruising at 70 MPH is relaxed and quiet and results in 40+ MPG - but this was measured over only 100 miles of motorway so too short to be precise. I suspect that the 1.2 engine will be more susceptible to weather conditions and head winds than a high torque diesel so I am expecting a wider variation in fuel consumption than with the Octy which didn't seem to vary from 49 MPG in spite of any weather conditions. The Yeti is also less aerodynamic (more like a brick!) so I suspect that whether diesel or petrol it will use more fuel than the equivalent Octy.

Overall the petrol has been the right choice for me - no DPF or complicated flywheel etc. to worry about - and as my annual mileage is now 10,000 rather than the 20,000 with the Octy - the cost saving more than balances the higher fuel consumption. And it is SO much quieter!!

Quick update after 8 months:

I have now driven 6,500 miles since I got my 1.2 Tsi DSG Yeti in March 2012; fuel consumption to date is 41.2MPG based on brim full measurement technique since new.

On a 20 mile drive on 50 MPH country roads it is easy to achieve 48-49 MPG and on motorways at 75 MPH it is equally easy to achieve 37MPG, a lot depends if there is a head wind or not. One drive to Devon from Midlands with a stiff tail wind achieved 41 MPG at 75 MPH - going the other way into the wind I got 36 MPG!!

So I guess a lot depends on where and how you drive, for general use with occasional motorway journeys the 1.2 Tsi is perfect, if you use the motorways on a daily basis then you would probably be better off with a 2 WD diesel.

Incidentally the MPG is improving as the mileage increases, at 2,000 miles it was 39 MPG rather than the 41.2 MPG - which means that I must be getting more than 41.2 to pull the average up !!

Check mine every time brim to brim and drive carefully. Still very much in the area of 33mpg for mixed use - but no long journeys included in that figure. Up towards 40 mpg if used for a run but never much more no matter how gentle I am. The only possibility of inacurracy is how much I get in at re-fills given the possible differences in when the pump clicks off....but it's not going tob very far out. I definitely think the DSG contributes to the poor mpg - but still wouldn't change it.

I sometimes complaint at my dealer, but they say they've checked and everything is OK. "it is normal". They are the official and only Skoda dealers (in Belgium D'Ietren has a monopoly on Audi and VW, Seat and Skoda cars).

As I said, I'm almost sure this is because of the DSG that keeps me in 6 or 7th gear even at 50 km/h in city traffic... And also probably the too small motor.

Anyway, thanks for all your inf ormations !

Since we have the same units (l/km) it's easier to follow than talking in MPG's. With 50/h it is 4th (or 5th, depends of acclivity and other conditions), but, as I said, have no DSG, and only 6 gears. However, I don't think an engine is to small if you're mostly using your car in urban and suburban areas, just as I do. Though heavy urban traffic (as I have to deal with in Zagreb, Croatia) makes a snow beast become thirsty beast. It absorbs petrol, right, but 12 l is still too much in city and far too much by combined driving. I suggest you should complane and complane, again and again, if necessary, send your wife over there to cry her eyes out. Sooner or later Skoda will have to pay an attention to your complaints and demands. Don't give up - yeti is a great car!

Edited by Jazz Moli

Please excuse me for asking a basic question, but have you checked your tyre pressures? Over my first 1000 miles, I have got just below 40 mpg in my 1.2 DSG.

• 4 months later...

An update from down under. We have just bought a Yeti with the 1.2TSI DSG and it is a remarkable unit. We took the car on an interstate trip after the first 800km in urban driving. In doing so, we added 1600km of mainly non-urban driving. It gave us 6.6 litres per 100 km. on tour, verified by the figures at the pump. We were forced to fill up at one stage with 95RON because 98RON was not available, and our figure blew out to just over 7 litres per 100km. This was with two adults and plenty of luggage aboard and using cruise control as much as possible. Bear in mind that we were still running it in. These figures are great, and comparable to my little Honda Jazz. They equate to a best of mid-40s mpg if my conversion app is working. After the trip, our overall average consumption had dropped from nearly ten litres per 100km to below 8. I will be interested to see where our urban figure is in a couple of weeks.

At the same time, there's no shortage of torque for overtaking, and I'd describe the engine as lively and responsive. Is it only 1.2? Are the official figures of 77kW and 175Nm really true? It's hard to believe that a car with those specs is so powerful, but the proof is in the pudding. I guess the fact that the whole of that torque is available from below 2000rpm is what makes the difference.

Edited by PMinAU

I could agree with the PMinAU, I have 1.2tsi for almost a year with 14000 km on the clock, mostly town driving, with average fuel consumption of 7.8 L/100km ( around 36 MPG), calculating from full to empty and again full each time, and I´m very pleased with that. Two months ago I received a Yeti 2.0 TDI 140 PS 4x4, as a company car and I must say that I am confused that figures of consumption in the city and on the highway are almost the same between this two models ( acceleration in higher gears is amazing in diesel, but my TSI is not that bad at all). Does anyone find strange that this figures in petrol and diesel engine are so close, almost equal, in town and motorway driving (driving it by me, same style and speeds) ?

New Yeti 1.2 owner. Now completed 800 miles, averaging 38mpg which includes a 600 mile round trip at motorway speeds, fully loaded (And I mean FULLY loaded)

Not too bad for a slab of a car with such a small engine but hoping for even better as it loosens up

Suppose I am classed as a slow old b****r and my mileage relates to this, so far with 1800 miles on the clock average is showing 39.4 but have had it as high as 45 on some days. I also assume it will get even better when the miles ramp up a little

Excuse my ignorance of Fuelly Dom, but when I look at your individual refuel figures ,they vary between a low of 30.3 mpg to a high of 35.5 mpg .

The Fuelly Avg UK MPG above states 38.5.

Is that a Maxidot figure?

My maxi dot always shows much higher mpg than the real world fully figures show

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Does anyone actually know how acurate the Maxidot figure is? and if so any idea of the difference

Excuse my ignorance of Fuelly Dom, but when I look at your individual refuel figures ,they vary between a low of 30.3 mpg to a high of 35.5 mpg .

The Fuelly Avg UK MPG above states 38.5.

Is that a Maxidot figure?

eh? lowest was 37.4 highest 42mpg.

it's just a graph, nothing magic to figure out.

eh? lowest was 37.4 highest 42mpg.

it's just a graph, nothing magic to figure out.

I've just looked again,and it shows your average mpg as 32.1,the last mpg as 31.0 and the best as 35.5 mpg acheived on 25/07/12.

The graph from last August to the present agrees.?

Unless Fuelly is displaying someone elses figures or something?