New Fabia vrs on Fifth gear

Stug

Are SportMaxx`s the standard tyres then?

My vRS alloys came with Falken FK426 or (or similar, cant remember without checking!)

I hope not!!

My Octy vRS has them..Dreadful tyres

Fronts nearly gone after 6000 miles!!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have continentals on mine so thats 3 different ones so far lol

That was possibly the most pointless "review" i have ever watched, but to be fair, did they ever say it was a review anywhere on the program?

I agree with what has been said. That was not a review of the vRS, but a record attempt and a tyre review. The only thing we learnt is if you want to go run on German motorway at high speed, DO NOT run OEM Dunlops, also it's nearly £3K cheaper than the Polo GTI with the same engine & gearbox. Having said that, would you buy an Aygo or a Fox after TG's "review" by playing football with them?

The vRS I saw had Dunlop Sportmax as standard.

BTW, What speed rating are these OEM Dunlop tyres?

Can't see them being less than a W - that was what came on the Mk1...

Looking at Mytyres the only ones are these:

SP SPORT MAXX 205/40 ZR17 84W XL with rim protection BSW (price @ £109.70 ). So are these Z rated or W rated? W are approved for speeds of up to 168 mph.

SPSPORTMAXX.jpg

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=77462184.110.3637&typ=R-111839&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Quer=40&Felge=17&Speed=H&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&sort_by=brand&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=So

Looking at Mytyres the only ones are these:

SP SPORT MAXX 205/40 ZR17 84W XL with rim protection BSW (price @ £109.70 ). So are these Z rated or W rated? W are approved for speeds of up to 168 mph.

SPSPORTMAXX.jpg

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=77462184.110.3637&typ=R-111839&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Quer=40&Felge=17&Speed=H&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&sort_by=brand&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=So

That's the ones on mine. W rated.

Right enough, it came off the offside of the donor car, but at 18:58 when they're fitting it, it sure looks like the tread's the wrong way round for a directional tyre! Which suggests that the white car was supplied with the tyres on wrong - and that IMO is worse than the production team messing up!

I'm with you i think your right that tyre tread deffo looks the wrong way round to me to, i've watched it through several times (because i'm very sad and very fed up with x factor all ready!!!) . Must say i thought it looked great but i would say that as i'm getting a green one to :happy: . A little dissapointed but at least they used the Fabia and not one of the others they could of used instead.

Obviously constant cornering on a rough surface will shag a std fit tyre, why they didn't fit something a bit more robust??

perhaps the rules of the record attempt meant the car had to be standard.

Fifth gear reviews have always been a bit sketchy, not really a fan at all. But, there are no alternatives out there other than Top Gear, which has also :wonder: deteriorated over time hasn't it??

Anyway, back to the topic, yes it was a poor review but it's good to see the fabia vRS being pushed to limits.At least we know it has some talent. :rofl:

it's good to see a number of you have ordered the new vrs. It means I might be able to afford a second hand one in a few years time.

LOL and now i know someone who will buy mine ;) , but after my test drives it could be several years as i liked it that much.

I suppose it was good publicity for Skoda.

Unfortunately it may make the waiting time for a new vRS even longer.

John

I flippin hope not with 5 months all ready to wait at the moment!! :'( :giggle:

Quite worrying the level of degradation of the Dunlop tyre - I too drove round that very bowl at Millbrook last June in a Fabia vRS (blue with white roof) as did many others.

Whilst I wasn't doing a constant 130mph around the top loop - I was driving, as were probably many others over the 2 days of the Company Car in Action event, at a 3 figure + speed (very stable and reasurring) in the penultimate loop ,which I accept isn't quite as cambered as the top loop, but nonetheless I didn't see manufacturers busy changing tyres - unless anyone can advise different.

Indeed be interesting if anyone can advise how many sets of tyres the professional drivers at the event got through, given they used the handling track and the top loop of the bowl flat out. I had two such outings (compete with crash helmets on!), one in an Octavia vRS doing 145mph around the top loop and secondly in an Lexus IS-F doing an inbelievable 170mph - on the experience of the Fabia both of these cars must have got through some tyres, as they were in constant use over the 2 days?

If I go to Millbrook next year 2011, I will keep an eye out for tyre wear - I presume the TPM on the Fabia would have activated a warning on the dash given the considerable change in rolling radius of the tyre, what with all of the tread gone and belt poking through - any members with experience of the TPM light coming on?

That's an interesting point - since the point of banked ovals / loops is that no steering input is required, perhaps the top loop was too high, requiring him to steer and thus put excessive wear on the one tyre?

That's an interesting point - since the point of banked ovals / loops is that no steering input is required, perhaps the top loop was too high, requiring him to steer and thus put excessive wear on the one tyre?

I suppose any given degree of banking will only give a 'square' stance to the vehicle given a specific combination of mass and speed. If on the day things deviate i.e. given the mass of the car, the speed is too high or low for the banking to balance the centrifugal force then steering input will be required to maintain your course :nerd:

I suppose any given degree of banking will only give a 'square' stance to the vehicle given a specific combination of mass and speed. If on the day things deviate i.e. given the mass of the car, the speed is too high or low for the banking to balance the centrifugal force then steering input will be required to maintain your course :nerd:

...which nevertheless means he was driving in the wrong lane. Anyone would think it was an Audi review! :rofl: