How many miles on your front tyres

Changed the oil&filter today, while that was draining I checked the tyres, covered 10k on my front Conti's, they dont even look half worn which is good news.

How many miles did you get from your fronts? (&what brand of tyre)...........

I have the same car- VRS 170 TDi-same tyres and just changed them today. Got just over 20k on the Conti's but refused to pay £140-£180 for new front tyres so plumped for Avon at £100. seem quite good but will keep you posted.............

Heard a lot of bad stuff about Dunlops about wear, but i've done nearly 10K miles on them and they are maybe 40% worn front and a lot less rear, and did a lot of rough road driving, so far so good. 1.8TSi Scout here.

Wow 20k

Im running a mondeo 140hp on country roads 235/45/17, here are the results:

Potenza 14k

Pirelli p-zero rosso 13k

Toyo T1r 8K

Now trying Conti SC3.

Cant wait to get my CR VRS soon!!

i rotated mine on the last car about every 8000 miles. got about 26000 from one pair and still had a few mill left on the other pair when i px'd it at 32000. tyres were michelin sports. got contis on the new one

Had two sets of Continental Contact 2 burnt out at 15,000 miles each set.

Bought super bargain basement front set (2) £60 all-in (Nexus 3000) handle no different and still 6mm at 4000 miles.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

My Dunlop CrapXX are 80% worn in 6500 miles!!!

This is totally crap!!!!

Do you drive it like you stole it?!

Seriously though, have heard a few bad reports about them Glad mine came with Conti's, if I can over 20k that'll be great (as I am Northern and hence, very tight!)

9000 miles on the contis and they are due to be changed imminently

changing the fronts has been an annual thing for me since I got my first mk1 vrs about 7 years ago!

I blame the miles I do out and about when I'm up in northumberland or down in county durham on the small upland roads when I'm out fishing..some lovely deserted roads with no other drivers..it turns me into a bad man

Edited by FTM

At the other end of the performance scale on my old 1.9TDi:

Original fronts (Dunlop) 14,000 (2-5mm tread left - they had worn very unevenly at the edges)

1st replacement (Hankook) 22,000 (3-4mm tread left)

2nd replacement (Hankook) 14000 when I traded it in - looked like they were going to follow the previous set to around 20,000

Original rears - crap Dunlops changed to Hankooks at 30000 with plenty of tread because they got very noisy (I now know it was the infamous saw-toothing)

At £70 each the Hankooks were very good tyres!

On my PD170 vRS that I traded in in March, 23,000miles and still on original tyres. My CR vRS is DSG and it seems to go easier on the tyres, don't seem to scrabble around anymore in lower gears so it's possible these tyres will last longer.

I had an Ibiza FR 1.9 TDI PD before, that liked new tyres every 15K

My last car (Octy DSG 2.0 TDI PD) I think went 15K before new tyres on the front - the rears were on for 33K

My dad's car (same as above) was 15K on fronts

My new CR VRS hopefully should be a bit EASIER on tyres because it is a CR. I'm thinking the delivery of torque on a PD through the tyres is what helps the wear rate increase ;)

Oh, hopefully my commute to work will drop to 2K per annum shortly anyway, so new tyres will be something I wont need to worry about for a while ;)

I've just turned 22k on the original Michelin Pilot Exaltos and the fronts are just about done. Looking now to replace but not at Michelin prices. Have heard good things about Uniroyal Rainsports - Anyone had any experience of them?

Factory fit Dunlop POS lasted 8500 miles, now on 20500 miles so the Vredsteins have done 12000 miles so far and have between 4 and 5mm left

The rears are still the Dunlops the car came with and have about 4 mm left.

Can see me staying with the Vreds from now on

Changed my OE Michelin Pilot Primacy at 22,000 miles when fronts were at ~3.5mm (losing grip in wet conditions).

Better than my 1.9 PD Passat estate which saw off fronts in 14,000miles ,driven in the same style.

Dunlop poor- circa 10K

Conti's - circa 14/15 k on the front - but thats what I tend to get on most front wheel drive cars!

Watch the rears - they can look good - but inside edge down to the metal after 34K (Conti's)

Had two sets of Continental Contact 2 burnt out at 15,000 miles each set.

Bought super bargain basement front set (2) £60 all-in (Nexus 3000) handle no different and still 6mm at 4000 miles.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Oh ok - el cheapo Nexus Ditch-Finders compared to Conti 2's - no difference? Tried an emergency stop in the rain yet?!! emoticon-0136-giggle.gif