VRS Seat base digging into leg - what to do?!

Hi there

I'm delighted with my VRS but have one major issue, about 20 minutes into the drive I start to get pain in my right outer thigh, it really spoils a good drive. Its not the first car with sport type seats that I've had this sort of problem with the side bolster digging in to be honest, the golf gt is the same.

I've tried a cocyx support cushion to riase me out of the seat (in theory less against the squab bolster) and this helps slightly. I've tried the seat height at its highest ,and today with it right down. Still getting thigh ache. :-(

What are my options, I dont want to sell the car that is definately not an option. Has anyone else got/had this problem and successfully fixed it one way or another? I think putting some non VRS octavia seats (eg elegance) will look a bit silly but may have to do that if they dont have the prominent support bars in the side structures they should be fine.

It will soften up with use. Try putting the seat back another notch and use 3 pumps on the high adjustment and you want the back rest fairly upright so your head almost touches the hear restraint. :thumbup:

It will soften up with use. Try putting the seat back another notch and use 3 pumps on the high adjustment and you want the back rest fairly upright so your head almost touches the hear restraint. :thumbup:

its an 06 plate not a new one, its the bar in the seat frame that is the problem but I'll try the seatback more upright.

or swap for my elegance interior!

might come to that but I'm not sure I can bring myself to swap the entire interior, drivers seat maybe!

are you quite a big guy by any chance. ive found them nothing but comfortable

6'2 16 stone yeah pretty chunky thighs!

Offset pedals are to blame I'm afraid. They're way out to the right. There's no cure for it except for manufacturers to take us RHD nations into account when designing their cars and the subsequent conversion from LHD. It's a common problem for cars designed originally and mainly for continental Europe.

• Like 1

Hi there

I'm delighted with my VRS but have one major issue, about 20 minutes into the drive I start to get pain in my right outer thigh, it really spoils a good drive. Its not the first car with sport type seats that I've had this sort of problem with the side bolster digging in to be honest, the golf gt is the same.

I've tried a cocyx support cushion to riase me out of the seat (in theory less against the squab bolster) and this helps slightly. I've tried the seat height at its highest ,and today with it right down. Still getting thigh ache. :-(

What are my options, I dont want to sell the car that is definately not an option. Has anyone else got/had this problem and successfully fixed it one way or another? I think putting some non VRS octavia seats (eg elegance) will look a bit silly but may have to do that if they dont have the prominent support bars in the side structures they should be fine.

My wife had the same problem with our Scout ,I bought a back/bottom seat overlay in black velour from Halfords £16 and it cured the problem it has wing like edges ,this stops the seat sides from puting pressure on the thighs.They are also nice and warm in winter.

This is an ANNOYING problem - I suffer the same problem in my new Superb, I just can't get comfortable in the seats and constantly shuffle around to try to improve the discomfort in my right outer thigh.

I had an 06 plate Octavia Elegance before this and I never had a problem with the seating, and given the style of seating in the Superb I didn't expect a problem.

I am pretty much the same height and build as you, by the sound of it, and adopted a more upright seating position following several whiplash injuries over the years and a slide down the road from my then Gixer750. It will feel alien at first but it's worth adjusting the seat to different positions before shelling out for seats.

Having driven Octy vRS models in the past I know the seats are more comfortable for me, more so than the Superb - if the Superb seats haven't become comfortable after several thousand miles of driving I can't see how they ever will!

If you are still looking to change the seats maybe look at a face lift seat, at least it will give you the support you expect in a vRS and look the part - test drive a new FL and see what you think.

Not to be too over dramatic but it may be you not the seat - I have the exact seating issue as you and have an underlying back problem.

You don't want to have the seat too upright as that loads up the base of the back. You need it inclined to spread the load evenly along your spine. On a three week intensive driving course I completed for my job, half a day was spent explaining how to find the correct driving position. I hadn't given much consideration to it previously, however, once I had adopted my new position it made a world or difference. Much more comfortable and with better control over the steering wheel, pedals etc.

Try positioning the seat initially for your legs. Try moving the seat back to give you straighter legs, but you need to able to depress the clutch fully without your left hip rising out of the seat. Then make sure you have the seat inclined back to make your back comfortable for reasons mentioned above. You dont need to go to the extent that boyracers do, but you would probably be surprised how upright some people have their seats. Adjust the height of the seat based on your own height and then lastly adjust the steering wheel. Move it down and as much as is comfortable and practical without getting in the way of your legs. Then adjust the rake so that you have a slight bend in your arms when held in the 10-2 position.

Obviously adjustments can be made as you go, however, this is a great starting point to a much more comfortable seating position. Hope it helps a little.

Hi there

I'm just down the road in Sheffield if you want to pop over and try out some elegance seats to see if they solve your problem :thumbup:

I'm just down the road in Sheffield if you want to pop over and try out some elegance seats to see if they solve your problem :thumbup:

Many Thanks for the kind offer Matt, I'm giving Bobw's suggestion of the halfords cushion a go for now, if that doesnt work I'll take you up on your offer.

I initially had the same problem in my Octavia vRS until I analysed my driving position.

The problem I found, which I think is quite common, was that I was sitting with my legs & knees splayed, with the underside of my right thigh resting too much on the seat bolster. I was trying to use my right knee against the door and left knee against the centre console, to steady myself in corners.

Solution is simple; set the seat slightly further back and get your legs straighter with knees together (as if you are in a low slung sports car with a narrow cockpit).

This seating guide may be of help;- http://www.recaro.com/en/product-areas/aftermarket-seats/company/expertise/ergonomic-comfort.html (scroll down to RECARO Seat Training).

PS> Extra cushions etc. are not required.

PPS> A CGLock will help by keeping you a correct position, and you won't need to brace you knees against door/centre console, as it prevents you slipping around with the movement of the car;- http://www.cg-lock.co.uk/

Edited by bahnstormer vrs

I initially had the same problem in my Octavia vRS until I analysed my driving position.

The problem I found, which I think is quite common, was that I was sitting with my legs & knees splayed, with the underside of my right thigh resting too much on the seat bolster. I was trying to use my right knee against the door and left knee against the centre console, to steady myself in corners.

Solution is simple; set the seat slightly further back and get your legs straighter with knees together (as if you are in a low slung sports car with a narrow cockpit).

This seating guide may be of help;- http://www.recaro.com/en/product-areas/aftermarket-seats/company/expertise/ergonomic-comfort.html (scroll down to RECARO Seat Training).

PS> Extra cushions etc. are not required.

PPS> A CGLock will help by keeping you a correct position, and you won't need to brace you knees against door/centre console, as it prevents you slipping around with the movement of the car;- http://www.cg-lock.co.uk/

Thanks Bahnstormer, some good suggestions that I'll try.

Hi there

I had this issue. it gets better or you forget reasonably quickly.

:)

Stick with it.

Yep I have the same issue, gets a bit annoying will look into your advice on setting the seat better (although have tried various seat adjstments) and will look into buying this CG Lock thingy as well. Cheers bahnstormer. :thumbup: :yes:

I also had this problem, but adjusting the seat sorted it.

The main thing was to not have the seat too low, as the adjuster works by angling the seat base rather a proper height adjustment. I also agree with Barnstormer about keeping your legs straighter.

I had a Vauxhall Insignia the other week as a hire car and my right leg was completely numb after an hour of driving. Changing the seat base angle helped, but it was not as comfortable as I now find my vRS.

I had this issue. it gets better or you forget reasonably quickly.

emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Stick with it.

It is true you do forget but 20k on and the discomfort manifests into a numb leg scenario which is all very well until you try to get out of the car and find your leg doesnt want to go where you tell it.emoticon-0124-worried.gif

Havent tried the 'Halfords' cushion thingy and be intersted to see if anyone has invested in any of the 'Recaro' Ergo/Ortho range which appear to have a wider seating platform?

The halfords cushion was no good for me, too thick a cushion if youre tall it altered the driving position too much so I returned it for a refund.

Problem seems to have gone away for now, do you just forget about it I wonder! Anyway I have got one of these fitted it lifts you out of the base of the seat enough to flatten off the bolster effect but doesnt sit you up in the clouds. It definately does make things better thats for sure, and it ties round the back of the seat with a single strap so it stays put.

Harley Slimline seat wedge!

http://www.gs-direct.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=281

The halfords cushion was no good for me, too thick a cushion if youre tall it altered the driving position too much so I returned it for a refund.

Problem seems to have gone away for now, do you just forget about it I wonder! Anyway I have got one of these fitted it lifts you out of the base of the seat enough to flatten off the bolster effect but doesnt sit you up in the clouds. It definately does make things better thats for sure, and it ties round the back of the seat with a single strap so it stays put.

Harley Slimline seat wedge!

http://www.gs-direct.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=281

good to know that you seem to have found a solution that works (for you). :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Hi there

I have had the same problem in my FL 60 plate VRS, I had the seat modified by classic car services of Leicester (not the first one they have done!),it is miles better but it still causes pain in my right thigh, I think the plastic surrounding the seat is the problem.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to revive an old thread but does anyone else have a problem with the Vrs drivers seat,it's very uncomfortable on a journey as the seat base(bolster) seems to dig into my right thigh,I find I keep have to move to get comfortable,it's very frustrating , my seat are in great condition and all bolsters in perfect condition.

My car is a 2007 Vrs.

My wife drives the car most days but thinks its fine,I used to be 17 stone last year but now 13 stone so not a big lad :)

I initially adjusted my seat as per usual method, wrists on top of wheel, clutch fully depressed with slightly bent leg, check sight of gauges etc. After running around locally and finding no problems, the first run abroad revealed this "feature" for me too. I found with the seat squab tilted right forwards (I have electric seats) the problem is sufficiently abated to be ignorable.

I don't think its is solvable without removing the bolsters, changing the seats or redesigning the body shell, whichever is most convenient for you.

Cruise control helps.