Middle Lane "Hoggers" and Undertaking

My_Yeti

Hi,

Not Yeti specific, but this is a question that has been puzzling me since I started driving.

There are a suprising amount of middle lane hoggers on our motorway, needless to say they annoy me quite a bit!

I always go to the far left lane if there is no obstructive traffic, no matter what speed I am travelling. Let's say a driver is travelling at 65 mph in the middle lane and I am about 50 yards from him/her, in the far left lane. Should I:

1) carry on being in the far left lane and slow down to 64 mph, so I am just slower than him/her?

2) carry on being in the far left lane, travel at my 70 mpg and "undertake" him/her?

3) should I go behind him/her, then overtake him/her from the right and then move back to the far left lane?

On a similar note, whilst I do think lorry drivers and haulage drivers have a hard job and grateful for them carry our goods, I have seen on occasions when there are 3 lorries, 1 in the slow lane doing 50 mph, one in the middle labe doing 52 mph and an ambitious one in the fast lane trying to overtake the 52 mph lorry in the middle lane, by doing 1 mph more. This is especially dangerous when they pull out in front of you with minimal amount of notice when you are doing 70 mph. Is there a law regarding that?

Another thing, I normally move to the middle lane even when I see a car trying to pull out from a junction or slip road, even though there isn't any car in the far left lane, is what I am doing (ie moving to the middle lane to let cars from junction pull out) legal? As I rarely see people do what I do.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Answer 3 , most lorries over7.5 tonne are restricted to 52 mph, that is why they overtake at 1mph more and middle lane hoggers should not be there as lorries find it difficult to overtake. Lorries are forbidden to use lane 3 of a motorway, the one you saw was breaking the law. I pull out to let oncoming traffic join motorway i was taught this back in the 70s on a rac/acu motorcycle training course and no it is not illegal, just good manners and road sense :thumbup:

Hi,

Not Yeti specific, but this is a question that has been puzzling me since I started driving.

There are a suprising amount of middle lane hoggers on our motorway, needless to say they annoy me quite a bit!

I always go to the far left lane if there is no obstructive traffic, no matter what speed I am travelling. Let's say a driver is travelling at 65 mph in the middle lane and I am about 50 yards from him/her, in the far left lane. Should I:

1) carry on being in the far left lane and slow down to 64 mph, so I am just slower than him/her?

2) carry on being in the far left lane, travel at my 70 mpg and "undertake" him/her?

3) should I go behind him/her, then overtake him/her from the right and then move back to the far left lane?

Number 3 every time.

On a similar note, whilst I do think lorry drivers and haulage drivers have a hard job and grateful for them carry our goods, I have seen on occasions when there are 3 lorries, 1 in the slow lane doing 50 mph, one in the middle labe doing 52 mph and an ambitious one in the fast lane trying to overtake the 52 mph lorry in the middle lane, by doing 1 mph more. This is especially dangerous when they pull out in front of you with minimal amount of notice when you are doing 70 mph. Is there a law regarding that?

The only lorries that are allowed in lane 3 are under 7.5 tonnes. Against the Law? Doubtful but bloody annoying.

Another thing, I normally move to the middle lane even when I see a car trying to pull out from a junction or slip road, even though there isn't any car in the far left lane, is what I am doing (ie moving to the middle lane to let cars from junction pull out) legal? As I rarely see people do what I do.

Always do the same as it was what I was taught.

:thumbup: +1

What is happeining to me? I have never agreed with a Welshman in my life. I'm definitely going senile! :S

I agree the middle lane hoggers are a pain and I suppose in theory if someone is travelling at 70mph in that lane no one could legally overtake them. It's the ones, as you say, that toodle along at speeds well below the national speed limit with the inner lane empty :swear:

Welcome to CLOC the Central Lane Owners Club.

I thing this goes back to the days when the middle lane was considered the "Fast" lane! Some may remember the signs on the early motorways where left facing arrows encouraged drivers to keep to the left.

I only "hog" the middle lane when approaching a slip road 'cos drivers joining the motorway totally ignore the "Give Way" and charge directly on to the inner lane. My wife nearly lost her life in a nasty accident when a driver, ignoring her approaching, drove straight in front of her causing her to swerve. The b*****d drove away and was never caught.

mmmmmm.........Intresting.

The highway code states that if your lane is Blocked or obstructed you may use another lane to maintain progress ( or words to that affect )

So:-

On that basis you can move to the left lane to undertake as the Middle lane is obstructed if only by a Middle Lane Hogger

I agree with that too. Undertaking is only undertaking if you are looking to gain from it. If you are in lane 1 and maintaining your speed, and you approach an idiot in lane 2 who shouldn't be, then there's no need to change your course so long as it's safe to continue.

mmmmmm.........Intresting.

The highway code states that if your lane is Blocked or obstructed you may use another lane to maintain progress ( or words to that affect )

So:-

On that basis you can move to the left lane to undertake as the Middle lane is obstructed if only by a Middle Lane Hogger

I think what the highway code refers to is when there is a heavy traffic build up/obstruction on the outer lane(s). However there are times when this situation is building up and there is a borderline situation when it will debatable (to those who will impose the fine) whether or not you are undertaking in the undesirable sense. What about the Glasgow motorway complex - about 6 lanes and with exits off the fast lane as well. In heavy traffic it is sometimes impossible to avoid undertaking there where you are doing 70 on the inner lane and someone who may be (?) planning to exit off the fast lane (6 lanes across from you) is doing 60. And again a borderline situation arises as traffic builds up as to whether the undertaking is acceptable in the early stages of a blockage forming on the outer two lanes. I worry about fixed penalties when a motorist honestly believes undertaking is essential in these circumstances and the traffic cop thinks otherwise.

I think what the highway code refers to is when there is a heavy traffic build up/obstruction on the outer lane(s). However there are times when this situation is building up and there is a borderline situation when it will debatable (to those who will impose the fine) whether or not you are undertaking in the undesirable sense. What about the Glasgow motorway complex - about 6 lanes and with exits off the fast lane as well. In heavy traffic it is sometimes impossible to avoid undertaking there where you are doing 70 on the inner lane and someone who may be (?) planning to exit off the fast lane (6 lanes away) is doing 60. And again a borderline situation arises as traffic builds up as to whether the undertaking is acceptable or not in terms of your above statement. I worry about fixed penalties when a motorist honestly believes undertaking is essential in these circumstances and the traffic cop thinks otherwise.

Intresting point but I don't think undertaking rules don't apply here (in Glasgow) I Imagine its an Urban motorway designed to move Thousands of cars in a City enviroment. There will be designated lanes for exiting on the Left or right and lanes to go straight on

Middle lane Hoggers usually travel for tens and tens of Miles wearing Blinkers and don't even realise they have been Undertaken

If it's a quiet stretch of road and you're in no hurry, why not try lapping the CLOGgie? Move out to L3, overtake them, move back to L1, cut your speed to somewhere in the 50s, let them overtake you, and repeat until you get bored or they get their {censored} into L1.

As for taking L2 when approaching an entry slip, this is not taught except on some advanced driving courses. I don't make an automatic practice of it, but do do it when approaching a slip which is short and/or has a short sight line.

Reg the M8 through Glasgow, the 5 lane parts with the slips in L5 actually have a 50mph limit, not 70.

Should I:

You missed the most obvious option. Get mildly annoyed, get more annoyed, swear profusely and gesticulate, flash lights violently, overtake giving helpful hand gestures suggesting that in future they move lanes voluntarily. Desperately imagine you had an Aston Martin with torpedo's built in that could take the car out. Drive on and calm down.

I heard a debate on this on the radio the other day and undertaking is not illegal as long as it is done safely. The question is define safely. I have been on busy motorways, the M6 in Cheshire is a good example, where you can get locked into lane 1 and a middle lane hogger jams the rest of the motorway. You get the situation where you either end up at 45mph on a motorway desperately looking for a gap behind the hogger, the rest of the traffic has compressed behind them making that difficult, or you gently ease past them in lane 1. I have done the latter and would hopefully be able to convince Mr Plod that my actions were the safest option oh and by the way why did you stop me and not the idiot blocking the motorway. Undertake them at 70-80mph and you would rightly be in trouble but if someone is doing 45-60mph in lane 2 and you gently ease past them then I would argue that is acceptable, m'lud.

I learnt some time ago that the middle lane of the M1 is much faster in heavy traffic. Every time the road speeds up slightly people move over into the outside lane to try and overtake. This slows the traffic in the outer lane again, yet leaves gaps in the middle lane so the middle lane moves faster and starts undertaking. Often the outer lane will come to a complete halt some distance back after someone has pulled over due to the cascade in braking behind him.

I just sit in the middle lane or even the inner lane when particularly bad and cruise past the stationary or slowing traffic in the outer lanes, and I am sure this is ok under the highway code, as they cant expect vehicles in other lanes to slow or stop just because the outer lane is obstructed.

I have come across vehicles in the outside lane of the motorway, clearly on the phone or distracted driving at 60 or less on an otherwise empty road. What on earth are you supposed to do in this circumstance?

Some years ago I was towing up the M11, came up behind a Morris travellor in the middle lane on a quiet road, cruising at 55mph, would not move over even thougn I flashed and followed behind it for more than 5 miles. Eventually I undertook as I thought that was safer and more legal than taking a trailer which I could tow legally at 60 into the third lane which is an absolute offece.

Edited by kenfowler3966

Hi,

No 3 (no 2 being illegal undertaking/careless driving)

the exception to this is in rule 268 highway code...

DO NOT overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to ovetake. in congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. in these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. DO NOT weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

the driver of any vehicle changing lanes or direction without effective observation, causing another vehicle to alter speed or course, is guilty of careless or possibly dangerous driving

so long as you can do so safely and do not cause problems to vehicles in lane 2, then this is the courteous thing to do and is accepted practice in advanced driving

talking of which... have you considered doing an advanced driving course? IAM or ROSPA are the ones to go for and are value for money. i guarantee you will benefit from either

Edited by YetiClive

Agree with kenfowler3966 - No articulated vehicle is permitted to use lane 3, including cars towing trailers.

I have completed an IAM course and passed the test to which I would add that whilst you gain knowledge, other peoples stupidity becomes even more apparent and easier to avoid. :rofl:

Edited by flashman

Should I:

Thank heavens we have online forums where you can discuss what is the correct way to drive - after having passed the driving test! :wonder:

If you'd got a 'next generation' internet connected car then you could post the question before making the decision - all input by the passenger of couse!

BTW - all remarks are TIC. ;)

I learnt some time ago that the middle lane of the M1 is much faster in heavy traffic. Every time the road speeds up slightly people move over into the outside lane to try and overtake. This slows the traffic in the outer lane again, yet leaves gaps in the middle lane so the middle lane moves faster and starts undertaking. Often the outer lane will come to a complete halt some distance back after someone has pulled over due to the cascade in braking behind him.

I just sit in the middle lane or even the inner lane when particularly bad and cruise past the stationary or slowing traffic in the outer lanes, and I am sure this is ok under the highway code, as they cant expect vehicles in other lanes to slow or stop just because the outer lane is obstructed.

I have come across vehicles in the outside lane of the motorway, clearly on the phone or distracted driving at 60 or less on an otherwise empty road. What on earth are you supposed to do in this circumstance?

Some years ago I was towing up the M11, came up behind a Morris travellor in the middle lane on a quiet road, cruising at 55mph, would not move over even thougn I flashed and followed behind it for more than 5 miles. Eventually I undertook as I thought that was safer and more legal than taking a trailer which I could tow legally at 60 into the third lane which is an absolute offece.

This is interesting because during the summer travelling up M5 from Cornwall to London, everyone seems to love the fast lane and stick to that lane even though they are doing 65 mph, bumper to bumper.

If I am travelling at 70 mph coming up from the far left lane, overtake a slow car from that lane and move over to the middle lane, travelling faster than any cars in the right lane, is that legal?

Thanks for all the input. I am puzzled because there are so much not included in the highway code. Although most of it is commonsense, there are drivers out there who doesn't have any.

The middle lane hoggers are also commiting an offence as you should move over to the L1 when not overtaking.....ie if you have an oppurtunity to undertake them then it is impossible for them to be overtaking. Rule 238: You should drive in the left-hand lane if the road ahead is clear. Return to the left-hand lane once you have overtaken all the vehicles or if you are delaying traffic behind you.

Sometimes i will cruise past them in the left hand lane, move over to the middle lane and put my left indicator on....this mostly drops the hint to them and probably 70% will then move over (the other 30% are usually on phone, doing makeup, tuning radio, having a good old chit chat or simply brain dead), i will then drop back in to L1. This is probably illegal i know but so is sitting in the middle lane wearing blinkers.

I think that it is about time that motorway driving was included as part of the test or some sort of mandatory lessons after passing your test.

Edited by jrw