Forum Rants

Leodhasach

And I agree with all the above, especially people who ask what the orange light that came on on their dashboard means, because posting a question is SO much easier than finding and reading the manual. But I am one of the seemingly few people in the world who does actually read the owner's manual.

There's only one word for that - RTFM!!!! :D :D

What's a manual???? I thought that with this info modern world that we just sit by the car with an ipad hooked up to www. whatever and it all gets done for us!! :rofl:B)

Why someone from S c u n t h o r p e can't say they come from S c u n t h o r p e, because it comes out as S****horpe :S

Thanks for that Brimma.:thumbup:

I was born in S c u n t h o r p e,and was frustrated by the "spellchecker" in past posts.;)

People who quote posts and don't reply to them at all, like the above.

Normally they write their reply in the next post, but I've just seen someone post the quote only, Totally pointless!

I've noticed this, and it seems to be almost entirely done by new people, as if there's something really unintuitive about the "quote and reply" function that I just can't see. Next time I see it, I'm gonna ask them why!

• 1 year later...

I thought i'd drag this thread back from the dead rather than start a new one as my gripe fits in with the subject matter.

I spend a lot of time on another car forum, and in general, the level of communication skills is pretty good. People sem to take the time to read over what they have written before hitting the Post button.

Now I know forums by their very nature are not written English exams, but I find the level of spelling on many posts in here absolutely terrible. I really do despair for the future of the nation if that is the level of education a lot of the users on here have.

Example: "I fort..." (I think it was actually meant to be "I thought..." I mean, really?? My 11 year old daughter can do better than that.

I do think mobile phones, etc. have a lot to answer for - originally text speak came about due to limitations on the size of message but nowadays it's not an issue, but people still insist on using stuff that might be fine on a phone, but on a web forum, does nothing but make your post difficult to read.

Everyone makes the odd mistake, i'm not talking about that. What i'm on about is when a post is bypassed because basically it takes far too much effort on my part to decipher what the hell it is trying to say!

Am I alone in this? Surely I can't be the only one!

/rant

I've never used text speak, even when sending a text or typing on a forum.

I saw a post the other day with "I fort...." and i just sat there thinking, is this forum really going in the direction that people in Primary School are joining in with topics on what they've done to their car!!

One of my current gripes is when a newbie posts on the Introduce Yourself! sub forum with a genuine question for help (OK so it might not be the best place to ask a question) and a number of people reply with just "Welcome to Briskoda" I mean do they really need to increase their post count that much?? if you can't answer their question then don't post anything emoticon-0179-headbang.gif

Just to say something about the above, i will always say 'Welcome to Briskoda' as it is, after all, in the 'Introduce Yourself' sub forum. If there is a question from someone, they can always post the question in the correct sub forum or the question has already been answered by someone.

Are we not supposed to welcome to new members then as i'm sure it would put a few people off if they introduced themselves only to have no-one reply and welcome them.

I also thought the 'Introduce Yourself' post didn't actually go towards your post count anymore but i am trying to cast my mind back a number of years ago now, so it may have changed.

You're not along stevenh, it annoys me too.

Whilst I'm on the rant thread I'd just like to rant about the Focus driver that I overtook on my way in to work this morning, they were doing 40mph in a 60 zone and I passed them safely and kept within the speed limit so goodness knows what right they had to stick their main beam on and shake a fist at me ............ grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :D

You're not along stevenh, it annoys me too.

Whilst I'm on the rant thread I'd just like to rant about the Focus driver that I overtook on my way in to work this morning, they were doing 40mph in a 60 zone and I passed them safely and kept within the speed limit so goodness knows what right they had to stick their main beam on and shake a fist at me ............ grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :D

You overtook them, so you were clearly driving at at an unsafe speed. :@

I was stuck behind a Mist Wagon who was just refusing to let anyone past (single-track road) for 3 miles myself. When I did clear him, he was but a dot in the mirror in about half a mile!

You overtook them, so you were clearly driving at at an unsafe speed. :@

I was stuck behind a Mist Wagon who was just refusing to let anyone past (single-track road) for 3 miles myself. When I did clear him, he was but a dot in the mirror in about half a mile!

Ahhh, yes of course. How silly of me :D

Just to say something about the above, i will always say 'Welcome to Briskoda' as it is, after all, in the 'Introduce Yourself' sub forum. If there is a question from someone, they can always post the question in the correct sub forum or the question has already been answered by someone.

Are we not supposed to welcome to new members then as i'm sure it would put a few people off if they introduced themselves only to have no-one reply and welcome them.

Of course you can welcome them, but if they are not actually ‘introducing themselves’ rather than asking a technical question then it is a bit rude I think.

No different to a total stranger walking up to you asking for directions and you just replying “hello” whilst totally ignoring the question they asked you.

People being pedantic and just plain irritating; continual negative views or contradicting people but rarely adding anything positive. They were either bullied when younger or simple have a bitter and twisted real life where the missus probably wears the trousers... :rofl:

Also, I cant stand posts that are written in slang or txt spk OR CAPITALS for no reason!

• Like 3