The Twins. (And Yeti RS)

BossFox

All cars with the engine and gearbox in the front have a weight split that favours the front by some margin.

That's life unfortunately.

Also it's not a race car, it's a Yeti. ;)

• Like 1

Seats out, carbon buckets in.  74kg saving.

Now to start on more fiddly stuff and look to get as much out of the front as possible

wgwv.jpg

52kg to go... :wonder:

Battery in the boot?

Viable.

If a lightweight one is 8-10kg (saving about 12kg) is it worth it do you think, baring in mind you add in the extra cable and battery box.

Overall weight saving, maybe not...

Distribution... maybe.

Distribution, definitely.  I have stock full size battery in the boot, and the difference having it slung behind rear axle as opposed to in front of the front axle, is pretty clear.

I would consider having a lightweight battery in the spare wheel well, but actually I want to keep a little weight at the back as don't want it too tail happy under throttle lift-off. :D

One benefit of the Yeti is the Haldex unit and diff under the rear end.

Even stripped of it's interior it feels better balanced than my Fabia did with the seats out.

But yes, saving front weight and adding rear can't hurt.

I would still go for the lighter battery though, 12kg is a decent saving.

well just a suggestion, if the weight of battery cables worries you....

Some Military Fast jets use Aluminium wire, gauge for gauge its 1/4 the weight of a copper wire of the same size but aluminium is twice as resistant. Therefore an Aluminium wire would have to be twice as large to handle the same amount of current etc, but would be only half the weight of the copper cable (if that makes sense).

So essentially a 200 Amp Copper cable could weight 1Kg and an Aluminium 200 Amp cable could weigh only 0.5Kg (made up numbers)

So if you are really being picky about weight and space for a chunky wire isnt an issue, then you could get a light weight aluminium battery line made up.

• Like 1

Viable.

If a lightweight one is 8-10kg (saving about 12kg) is it worth it do you think, baring in mind you add in the extra cable and battery box.

Overall weight saving, maybe not...

Distribution... maybe.

Yeah it was mainly for distribution I suggested it.

Have you weighed the wheels? I have some 17" team dynamics pro race 1.2s I could weigh as a comparison?

Yeah it was mainly for distribution I suggested it.

Have you weighed the wheels? I have some 17" team dynamics pro race 1.2s I could weigh as a comparison?

Would be interesting to see the difference.

I have a complete set of used Annapurnas at work without tyres, so getting a weight for one is relatively easy.

I do like stock (looking) rims though.

I have a complete set of used Annapurnas at work without tyres.

If you decide on getting rid of them at any point please let me know as they are what I would like the L&K's winter tyres to be on.

Could you not get your anupamas machined to reduce weight to keep the standard look and lose some weight. I seem to remember my 'lightweight' Spitzberg wheels felt the same weight as my steel wheels.......

Carbon fibre front wings? Or even plastic ones? My Freelander has plastic wings as standard. Always funny when somebody leans against them and they flex and that person is then worried they have damaged the car :lol:

Hmm, really must weigh my current choices, Superleggera, Pro Race 3 and TT Comp.  The TT comps didn't feel much heavier the OZ's to be fair, although I suspect they are at least 1kg heavier each, if not 2kg.

Lightweight rims won't take too much weight off the car as such, but any improvement to unsprung weight is worth more than just the kg. You might think about some OZ Racing Ultraleggeras or Allegeritas (if you can live with the spindly spoke look).

Does anyone do a lightweight or plastic windscreen?

Ripping out most or all of the sound deadening material will also save you a lot of weight. But than again it will become loud inside the car and it will be a lot less a daily driver.

Did think about sound deadening as well - but like you say, it's quite an extreme step and you certainly notice when it's not there! 

Primary objective for any project that i was told when i trained for my current job - You MUST have key milestone deadlines otherwise it can be never ending & WILL drag on.

Seems like a case in point here. But we know it WILL get finished :)

Is it gradually raising itself with this weight loss?

If it is, it's so gradual I can't really see it.

Extended threaded adjusters are the way to go there I'm certain.

• Like 1

Rear mats out, along with parcel shelf and rear seat mounting beams.

According to my scales that's another 7 kg gone.

45(ish)kg to go.

Wanted to attack the doors, but poor light stopped play.

You know you've cracked it when your wife sees you creeping outside with the bathroom scales and doesn't ask what you are up to, just smiles to herself. :D

When i was cleaning and repairing my 2nd Fabia I had quite a few funny looks from my mum and neighbours when they saw me taking the dashboard out :D

• Like 2

When i was cleaning and repairing my 2nd Fabia I had quite a few funny looks from my mum and neighbours when they saw me taking the dashboard out :D

Hmm... I wonder how much stuff behind the dash I don't need...

• Like 2