The Twins. (And Yeti RS)

BossFox

Not sure what piston slap sounds like, but as said my Skyline has six forged pistons and it sounds normal to me.

1,300 miles and two track days and I've not had to top the oil up either, which now sounds odd.

edit:  over 1,000 posts! :o

• Like 2

Not sure what piston slap sounds like, but as said my Skyline has six forged pistons and it sounds normal to me.

1,300 miles and two track days and I've not had to top the oil up either, which now sounds odd.

it depends on the components used and quality of build/work I guess but if you want to hear forged piston slap just google it as there's lots and lots of examples out there :) So back OT... Are you buying the 2 litre TSi new or second hand? What exactly are you looking for? Guessing miles aren't an issue if its getting stripped and built up?

i didnt think piston slap would be an issue on the engine as its not like Richard will be ragging it from cold, no?

no one should push any engine from cold IMO but its the sound you get before its gets to that operating temp. :)

So back OT... Are you buying the 2 litre TSi new or second hand? What exactly are you looking for? Guessing miles aren't an issue if its getting stripped and built up?

I'm going to source a second hand 2.0tsi (CAW B, 2008+) and have it build to take a bit of extra poke just for security.

Get the other parts required, like the turbo and other bits.  Then do the swap over a week and get the mapping done so I can get the car back on the road ASAP.

Basically I need the engine from a mk2 Octy VRS facelift.

Or a well used/bashed Octy mk2 facelift. :)

Not too fussy about miles.

• Like 2

I'm going to source a second hand 2.0tsi (CAW B, 2008+) and have it build to take a bit of extra poke just for security.

Get the other parts required, like the turbo and other bits.  Then do the swap over a week and get the mapping done so I can get the car back on the road ASAP.

Basically I need the engine from a mk2 Octy VRS facelift.

Or a well used/bashed Octy mk2 facelift. :)

Not too fussy about miles.

good plan - nice and easy re the management compatibility as you've said. Rs4 injectors and pump? Who doing the engine build, JabbaSport?
  • Like 1

good plan - nice and easy re the management compatibility as you've said. Rs4 injectors and pump? Who doing the engine build, JabbaSport?

Not sure yet.

I don't see many Octy Vrs on copart tbh :(

There was an 08 estate, but it was the older pre FL so wrong engine.

Waiting for one to come up, or an engine at a sensible price.

Any plans for the shell if it's a whole car or just shift it on once you've had the engine!

After previous experience trying to deal with a zillion PMs when breaking a car, paypal and lots of daft questions I'll probably bin it.

Trying to do all that while running a small business and a family of four is just a load of hassle.

What I should have done last time is just take off the main 5 or 10 bits and ebay them with no reserve.

But I've certainly learned my lesson.

• Like 1

There was an 08 estate, but it was the older pre FL so wrong engine.

Waiting for one to come up, or an engine at a sensible price.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't some of the non FL/earlier VR's get the TSi engine? ie it wasn't purely on the change over 08 FL model? (im sure ive seen a TSi nestled in a non FL car at a dealers some time back)

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't some of the non FL/earlier VR's get the TSi engine? ie it wasn't purely on the change over 08 FL model? (im sure ive seen a TSi nestled in a non FL car at a dealers some time back)

I was led to believe it was from March 2008.

I was led to believe it was from March 2008.

Is that the FL change over date or a date prior to the FL being launched - do you know? (I think its earlier actually?)

Is that the FL change over date or a date prior to the FL being launched - do you know? (I think its earlier actually?)

When it comes to Octavias I don't have a clue as I've never had the desire to own one... :bandit:

:rofl:

• Like 1

When it comes to Octavias I don't have a clue as I've never had the desire to own one... :bandit:

:rofl:

Ive had two. In terms of fun/excitment, the Mk2 VRS was a total waste of time (even at stage 2+ with suspension and brakes 'sorted'). Anyway, I digress.... My memory is generally dire but I thought the last non FL's did get a TSI engine - a question for the Octy guys on their forum perhaps - all Im saying is - if that's the case theres no need to limit the search and you may even find someone that doesn't know what they've actually got (which was the conversation at the dealers when I said to the guy - yours is a TSI not a TFSi after looking under the bonnet - sure that was a pre FL)

• Like 1

Only pre-FLs I'm definitely aware of having the TSi is the Limited Edition. But a later 58 plate/early 09 pre-FL stands a good chance of having the TSi.

• Like 1

Only pre-FLs I'm definitely aware of having the TSi is the Limited Edition. But a later 58 plate/early 09 pre-FL stands a good chance of having the TSi.

Bingo! Yes, it was a limited edition that I remember looking at  - the engine cover was different - it was definitely a TSi as I told the mechanic at the dealership who was saying it was a TFSi as it wasn't a FL  :dull: If its strictly just the LE's that got it then maybe of no value to Richard then. :(

I'm sure I've heard of non-LE pre-FLs having the TSi. To me its more about build time on the production line, rather than it specifically being the LE that got it.

That would be my approach anyway.

There was an in-between FL. With the new dash and the old nose. That already had the chain driven, IHI turboed TSI. Iirc, it has been built since after summer stop 2008, untill the real FL came.

• 2 weeks later...

Another very hot day at Brands Hatch with many Caterhams and Clio Cup cars and a smattering of road legal cars to keep it interesting including one daft bloke who brought along a Skoda Yeti!

And here he is sneaking up on his prey

and just about to pounce

Some Caterhams have classy friends to help them pull

Here's that daft as a brush Skoda again

and again, going too fast for my camera this time

and then these two turned up

and finally, what do you get if you cross a Caterham with a water heater?

Then Yeti VRS decided that he'd had enough and chewed through one of his rear brake lines just before lunch so that was it for the day and the recovery men had to be called to take him home.

Hope you made it back okay Richard.

• Like 3

Ohh no gutting Richard

It was quite exciting! :)

Arriving at the end of the main straight up the chuff of a Caterham you are chasing down to suddenly find you have little in the way of brakes sure tests you under pressure!

It seems to have been caused by me swtiching from 7" wide rims to 8" wide rims, meaning there was almost contact with the rear brake lines.

In use I'm guessing they have come into contact.

When the Caterham decided (after not moving out of the way to let the Yeti past) to suddenly brake hard and early I had to do the same (from around 100mph) and it braked a bit, then the pedal just went to the floor as the rear line popped.

I'll put the vid up in a day or two, when I get time at home.

Fortunately it happened on the last session before I planned to leave.

Had great fun though chasing down a number of things including a few laps playing cat and mouse with a Clio Cup race car before sneaking past it.

Awesome day! :rock:

• Like 4