Buying a high mileage Octy?

Been looking at some Octavia Tdi's as i may get one for the missus to use and also as our general purpose lugging the kids around vehicle.

I have seen an 08 plate Elegance 1.9Tdi estate on the internet that i quite like the sound of. Not been to see it in the metal yet. Its got 80k miles on the clock and is a one owner car. Should i be concerned with the mileage at this sort of level or is it not usually an issue? its priced at £6995

Thanks in advance

Edited by Guest

I guess it all depends on the mileage your likely to add to it each year.

Mine is starting to feel the miles now at 150k. Although that could be due to running original shocks and springs still.

The 1.9 tends to have a better reputation for reliability too, mine is the 2.0tdi and I've no complaints.

• Like 1

Check sills for rust and bubbling. On pre FL cars the chip proof paint isn't high enough.

Definitely low. I sold my Octy 1 with 280k miles on it 18 months ago, i saw the cabbie who bought it off me driving around today, he must easily have 310k miles plus on that now.

I had been looking for while until I found my Octy, I was unsure about the high miles and had looked at a few with 120k+ on the clock, I wouldn't be overly concened about a TDI being that high, engines are pretty much bullet proof these days. I'd just make sure that the service history is there and the parts that wear aren't to badly warn.

I managed to pick up a 55 plate pre facelift MK2 VRS petrol, with 60k on the clock for just over 4.5k, this had full service history and am extremely pleased with it, I bought it for the same reason you have as were having our first nipper and the wifes gonna be driving it, when i get the keys back to my Cupra that she's stolen.....

As with all cars, if its been looked after, 80k is nothing for a derv engine. If it's been neglected you might need some tlc on it by now. Mainly wear items.

My previous Octy was sold with 160k and still going strong, started on the first second hot or cold and there was no rust to cause a problem.

It still drove like my next Octy which had 82k on it.

Gear changes on both were the same, steering felt as tight on the higher one. Power was still good on the 160k Octy and I even remapped it for a bit and it took that with no problems at all.

Stone chips were the main teller of it being high mileage.

Yep def low miles (if genuine, and did you say one owner?, and milage sounds likely anyway)

Anything over 200,000 miles and the wee niggles start to appear.

Our G1998 Galaxy was still running like a clock at 250,000 miles, with a surprising list of origional components still fitted, incl exhaust, head gasket and injectors. (and the injection pump was needlessly changed at 50,000=gerr-ching)

And still starting in that -15 Celcius winter 2 year ago, a bit spluttery like but starting, on a moderately dodgy battery too.

But a host of other non engine related problems were closing in.(btw I kept her as a chicken coop)

Keep the fluid levels topped up and changed as appropriate.

good luck

M

Edited by dieseldogg

Bought mine at 77,000 miles, it's now at 122,000 miles with no complaints. Like someone else said, I think I'll be looking at new shocks at around 150k, but I fully expect to get 200k out of her.

There is an 06 1.9 L&K popped up near us that has 99k, might have a look. £4.5k needs to be good.

not sure what was standard and what were option on an 06, around 07 a lot of options became standard on the L&K.

I love it when people say "that's not high for a diesel". For the engine combustion internals maybe, or perhaps the clutch - but the body, brakes, suspension, seats, air con, lights.....ANYTHING but the engine is the same as the petrol and as such prone to wear with age as not engineered any higher. Diesel internals are designed to cope with higher stresses but that's it and with modern fuel injection etc there's a lot more to go wrong, especially as anything not within the block etc is not "toughened".

The main things people need to be saying then are how the car fares overall at higher mileage and what to watch out for as that's more useful to a potential buyer.Aspman started with the sills and rust. Also check for rust on the boot lid on the seam at the edges (the line where the number plate runs). Make sure the A/C works and ensure the ESP light is not permanently lit - if so the ABS unit is faulty. Check that it's had a cam belt and water pump change on schedule and you can see the condition of the wishbone bushes by lying on your side. Drop links are a common one and need to be replaced often - knocks when driving over rough surfaces at slowish speeds highlight these. Rear windows can drop out of their guides so make sure these open and shut all the way and also the doors can leak water into the car so make sure the carpets are dry under the mats. Think there might be an issue with the seats too at higher miles like the foam coming out or something.....can't remember exactly.

Check for signs of rear tyre wear and if it drones like a wheel bearing is out then chances are the rear tyres are shot due to mis alignment.

All of the above I'd say are more likely with higher mileage and more owners/ chance of neglect.

• Like 1

Good summary of faults in the last post !

For me, the main area of concern is the body. Good body work repair isn't cheap and makes less sense the higher the miles get.

I've seen worse, but my sills are pretty poor. Superficial rust, but rust bubbling under the surface all the same.

As Aspman said the pre FL cars didn't get some much stone guard, but the FL do for some strange reason.

I've a couple of other minor scabs around the car, but its done me well.

As mentioned on another post, I'm now at 150k. The shocks are shot, wheels need a refurb as they're loosing air now (corrosion around valves).

The Aux belt tensioner is shot and the one way clutch on the Alternator pulley is also on its way out.

Add the suspension work, wheel work, other service work and throw in a major service even before patching up the body work and things start getting a tad expensive.

I bought my 2007 TFSI at 82k two years ago. Its now done 130k, and will do many more. If your buying a high mileage car, go for as young as possible. e.g. I'd rather have a 100k 3 year old car than a 50k 6 year old. Buy on condition and check the service history and major jobs have been done like cam belt. Lastly, find a good independent to halve your labour rates!

Funney enough I raised this topic with a time served mechanic mate at work, i.e had anyone ever concocted a formula (or in modern parlance an alogythrym) to compute age against miles, miles against age

I.e.

Which of the above 2 examples is really the best buy, service histories being correct and equal.

But then how does one "value" them

Gibber

mutter

& of course

Twitch

The one i mentioned in the original post was sold so i never got to even see it.

I am considering spending more money and getting a 10 plate 1.6 tdi Elegance from my local dealer depending on what i can get for the wifes megane against it. I may go for one of the solutions deals if the numbers are right for me. I have had a look at the car and i must admit i really like the look of it and was very impressed with the interior. Not had a test drive yet. They are asking as near as makes no difference 12k for it. It has 23k miles on it and is just 2 yrs old. Does this sound about right? Any haggling tips i can use to try and get a deal i am happy with? Would also like to hear from any 1.6 tdi octy owners on their experiences.

Thanks again

I was tentitively offered 10K for an 18 month old 1.6CR Octavia Hatch with 30,000 miles just turned, in elegence trim wit der DSG, if trading again sommat else new from the Skoda stable?

I like the 1.6 CR diesel, it does seem to be a good substitute for the 1.9 lump, thought I was only used to it in 1998 year 110/125 BHP guise................................especially with the DSG as it seamlessly slips up and down the gears, pulling about 1500rpm in 7th gear on the flat 2(big uns) up at 55mph or so.

I cannot fault the engine, NOR is the DPF a problem on mixed driving.

Cheers

Marcus

Edited by dieseldogg