Why alway's the re-map?

Is the guy who started this thread guna reply at all?.. i properly laughed out loud at his original thread opener.. i ran eibach 30mm lowering springs before my current set up + can confirm lowering your car increases handling + steering response BUT doesnt automatically mean your going to bottom out + smash your sump up.. i never even had to slow down more than normal for speed bumps etc.. but without the lowering springs it handled like a barge + looked like it was on stilts.. why wouldnt you lower it???

• Like 1

I don't believe a remap would improve MPG AND give a BHP boost. I would believe it might misreport MPG on the dash, but miles per fill brim to brim would be a different story.

why wouldnt you lower it???

To me the car is pretty low as standard. Certainly I had to buy a new jack as my old one wouldn't fit underneath. Also, the ground clearance is there for a reason. I've seen some roads where un-lowered cars have a good scrape, and I suspect one slammed to the ground would beach out, lol.

Edited by anewman

I don't believe a remap would improve MPG AND give a BHP boost. I would believe it might misreport MPG on the dash, but miles per fill brim to brim would be a different story.

To me the car is pretty low as standard. Certainly I had to buy a new jack as my old one wouldn't fit underneath. Also, the ground clearance is there for a reason. I've seen some roads where un-lowered cars have a good scrape, and I suspect one slammed to the ground would beach out, lol.

a remap will do both depending on how the car is driven :)

just my 2p worth.....and a bit of a....i get to drive a r35 gtr boast :)

my friend has a nissan gtr and as standard it was absolutely nuts.....when he said he was upping the bhp i couldn't get my head round it.

he has had a few bits and bobs done and i went down to nobles in chesterfield with him today to get it on the rolling road.....it now has approx 600bhp and 600lbs or torque.

he very kindly insisted that i drove it back to try the different maps and see what i thought.....i can honestly say it has made it even better.....a hunk of metal shouldnt move that fast :devil:

in short....when cars are built i think compromises are made....if you dont mind spending money then just about anything can be improved.

Edited by tonytone

You've forgotten the third factor. Emissions.

Diesels aren't tested on exhaust emissions, just smoke. :p Having said that your V5 and Road Tax don't change if it's mapped.

I think I may have a tiny boost leak somewhere between the intercooler and turbo. But it was like this when I had it mapped and the guy who tested it said it was perfect. It's not a massive problem but I just wish I hadn't lost 500-600 revs of boost when I had it mapped. I don't know anyone else with a mapped fabia to go out in an see the difference...

Mine is mapped by shark and ive had no problems and i am also lowered all the way down on coilovers and do not scrape as the suspension is stiffer but both have made a fantastic difference to the drive and handling all in all another happy vrs owner

Diesels aren't tested on exhaust emissions, just smoke. :p Having said that your V5 and Road Tax don't change if it's mapped.

I'm talking about emissions standards. You know, the mandatory ones the engine must meet before it is offered for sale. Not the barn door spec found on an mot.

I think I may have a tiny boost leak somewhere between the intercooler and turbo. But it was like this when I had it mapped and the guy who tested it said it was perfect. It's not a massive problem but I just wish I hadn't lost 500-600 revs of boost when I had it mapped. I don't know anyone else with a mapped fabia to go out in an see the difference...

where abouts do you live asim sure there will be a member near by that would be willing to take you foraspin so you can see the difference if any

Can't comment on my VRS as it is stock but have plenty of experience with Impreza mapping. I had a uk Turbo (215bhp) which as standard achieved 18-19mpg (calculated figures). After a number of years and a few tweaks (turbo, exhaust, remap etc) it pushed 320bhp and 23-34mpg - again calculated figures so it's well possible :)

just my 2p worth.....and a bit of a....i get to drive a r35 gtr boast :)

my friend has a nissan gtr and as standard it was absolutely nuts.....when he said he was upping the bhp i couldn't get my head round it.

he has had a few bits and bobs done and i went down to nobles in chesterfield with him today to get it on the rolling road.....it now has approx 600bhp and 600lbs or torque.

he very kindly insisted that i drove it back to try the different maps and see what i thought.....i can honestly say it has made it even better.....a hunk of metal shouldnt move that fast :devil:

in short....when cars are built i think compromises are made....if you dont mind spending money then just about anything can be improved.

i understand this perfectly i have owned fast jap cars for years including one or two skylines.. i used to drive them round for a bit thinking this is great!!! But then it just gets dull and you need more, my last skyline was comfortably over 400 whp and it still wasnt enough.

Is the guy who started this thread guna reply at all?.. i properly laughed out loud at his original thread opener.. i ran eibach 30mm lowering springs before my current set up + can confirm lowering your car increases handling + steering response BUT doesnt automatically mean your going to bottom out + smash your sump up.. i never even had to slow down more than normal for speed bumps etc.. but without the lowering springs it handled like a barge + looked like it was on stilts.. why wouldnt you lower it???

sorry for the late reply fella but still within 24hrs ;)

i never really suffer with turbo lag, yeah it does happen but provided you look ahead you can take into account what gear to be in, not many passing places in the lakes so yeah you gotta be cute with your changes ey.

as for lowering i've had cars in the past that were lowered and they were alway's good for bottoming out and seeing how low the sump is as standard and how many are sold by skoda it goes without saying it will happen. whichever way your engine will be lower and when you hit speed bumps your suspension will compress thus lowering it even more?

like i put in the original post i'm not wanting meany answers, i'm just wondering why change something that ain't broke

i never really suffer with turbo lag, yeah it does happen but provided you look ahead you can take into account what gear to be in, not many passing places in the lakes so yeah you gotta be cute with your changes ey.

i'm just wondering why change something that ain't broke

I never really suffered from turbo lag nor did I suffer from any power problems because I looked ahead and preempted conditions of the road in my then 1.4 mpi (58bhp) fabia. I dont see why one would need a vrs?

I wanted one because it is fun bang for buck, and other ways of increasing that 'bang for buck' would be making the car handle better or have more power.

Or you could look at it as it would be easier and safer for overtakes as I require less planning, ergo less stress and more relaxing drive.

If we were content with mediocre standard we'd buy a Kia Cee'd :p

.......(apologies if a Cee'd is actually pretty decent)

It's true (happily). I had my TT 2.0 CR170 TDi remapped by Shark and Ben took it from 179bhp/380Nm torque to 211bhp/489Nm torque and the fuel economy went through the roof. The power increase is relatively small (less than 20%) but the torque increase is enormous and it's just where you want it - 70mph on the motorway. I'm getting a genuine 57mpg at 70mph (sat-nav) while on cruise control. If I drop to 60mph I can get 63mpg (800 miles on a tankful).

Now, if I drive it higher up the rev band or overtake lots then that drops, but it's still massively better than the 45mpg I was getting before the remap.

A remap really can improve your fuel economy.

So is the shark remap the best?

How about jabba sport and unit 18?

I've not had a Jabba map, but the Unit 18 remap used to be Richard Washbrook/Oscarli and they're among the best you can get. Oscarli actually write an awful lot of other company's remaps.

I use Shark because I personally like what they do. I keep turning up with my cars and asking Ben, Mikko, Rob and the other guys to do stuff they've never done before and they just keep saying yes (they'll learn one day). And they keep doing a top-notch job.

I actually drive past Jabba to get to Shark.