The latest Vauxhall selling techniques!

john999boy

I went to the local Vauxhall dealer at the weekend with the intention of having a closer look and drive of the Antara.

Antara_002_1823190c.jpg

Now I'm not too sure if this is one of their better selling techniques or not but they declined to let me have a test drive as, "We don't like to put any miles on the demonstrator in case it has to be sent back".

After a closer inspection and checkout of the options list, it would appear that I'm not missing much so they certainly have got my vote for sending it back........ :swear:

I had a test drive in a Corsa VXR racing a few years ago. Just when in on the off chance and was driving it within 10 mins unaccompanied. Felt fairly nippy but was wet so couldn't push that hard and was too chavtastic for me. Always find it strange some dealers don't offer drives and the ones who don't will never get my custom.

Sent back? I thought most dealerships had to purchase the cars they had as demonstrators. Either way that's pathetic -if it had plates on it it should be good to go. The only other reasons are if it had vinyl graphics covering the windows -which they would have had to remove, or more likely they've sold the demonstrator before they're supposed to.

Who'd buy a Vauxhall anyhow??? :sick:

MANY MANY moons ago when I was about 10, my best friends parents had a Vauxhall Chevette (remember them??) and they used it to tow a caravan, but after a year none of the doors would shut as the 'strain' of pulling a small caravan had stretched the chassis. :D

• Like 1

I went geniunely interested in buying the new corsa Vxr nurburgring, said he would get me one in etc etc STILL waiting lol about 6 months later, contacted him a few times but still nothing, useless pack of ******s

My local one isn't good at servicing or warranty either which is another reason I wouldn't buy one now, even though I loved my first car (Astra) and have soft spot for the old Chevettes. Cousin has the Astra 1.9 CDTI 150 and while it pulls well had a few niggles that needed sorting. Twice it went down, sat there all day and nothing was done because some numpty hadn't ordered the parts in. Had it's last service for warranty and was a good £100 more than a VAG 2nd service. Came to service it himself last week and the oil was lumpy and black. Given that it was only a year since the last one and on longlife oil (he likes to change it yearly regardless) it was shocking. Both the sump plug and filter were hard to get off, almost as if they never had been.

Didn't want to put any miles on it??? :wonder:

As per the dictionary. Demonstrator - the product, device, machine etc, actually USED in demonstrations to purchasers or prospective customers.

The mind boggles

I've test driven an Antara this year. You haven't missed anything. Aside from the fact it's the only thing in their range that could accommodate my leg length and also let someone sit behind me ( :wall: ), it's a bit of a paltry effort IMO and lives up to the 'Vauxhall Disappointment' history.

Gaz

Who'd buy a Vauxhall anyhow??? :sick:

Unless it said 'VXR-8', or 'Monaro' on the tailgate??

The neighbour of one of my (running)_ club mates has a VXR-8, & it sounds wonderful (& there's a Monaro knocking around Wakefield too)

MANY MANY moons ago when I was about 10, my best friends parents had a Vauxhall Chevette (remember them??)

I remember them, I had one as my first car (in brown & gold) 'EJX 675Y'

I also learnt to drive (the basics anyway0 in my dads Cavalier - the iorignal shape ; a yellow 2-door

Edited by Richard A Thackeray

Edit- Have driven a Chevette -nice car ,shame about the stretching .

Always had a soft spot for Vauxhalls, since my old Victor FD. Years later got a MK2 Cavalier . Neither of them great shakes on fuel. Then came the MK3 Cavalier GLi- 2L - sipped petrol,but went like stink. Then came the Astra - no great shakes on fuel. Next came a hire Insignia Diesel.Just a bog standard 10 plate which made my Furby look like a heavy drinker, and went like stink. .This year, I hired a 12 plate Insignia ,which turned out to be an SRI. Very responsive and nippy as the last one( if the gearbox was used, whereas on the 10 plate ,it was nippy on all gears),but at a cost - fuel economy. And it was full of toys, most of them IMHO,after the 10 plate things to keep repman happy.

So ,if I won the lottery ,would I buy one- not if Skoda was to up the warranty to match . I'd sooner have an Octavia.

Edited by VWD

So, if I'd won the lottery, would I buy one - not if Skoda was to up the warranty to match. I'd sooner have an Octavia.

If you'd just won the lottery, would the warranty be uppermost in your mind in the great scheme of things?

• Like 1

Had an Astra earlier this year as a hire car through work. Everything just felt cheap. Rubbish plastics over the dash, indicator stalk felt like moving the gear stick and just didn't seem able to get the seat in quite the right position.

Worst thing about it though, was the rear window. It was tiny! When you looked in the rear view mirror is kind of looked like you were looking at a cyclops with his eye half shut. Most of the rear view was taken up with the interior, no matter how I positioned the mirror!

If you'd just won the lottery, would the warranty be uppermost in your mind in the great scheme of things?

I'm pretty sure buying a Vauxhall would be very low on my list of 'things I'm doing when I win the lottery'! Unless it's a Carlton, in Imperial Green, with a couple of Lotus badges on it...

Shame about the test drive. However, look at it this way. That test drive would have been 20 minutes of your life you'd never get back.

• Like 1

I'm seriously looking at the ampera I've not seen on forecourt yet to have a proper look, that or the Prius or teslar

why not check out the Chevy Volt? There might be a dealer near you selling them and it's exactly the same car underneath

I went geniunely interested in buying the new corsa Vxr nurburgring, said he would get me one in etc etc STILL waiting lol about 6 months later, contacted him a few times but still nothing, useless pack of ******s

Which dealer was that? Did you get a shot in one in another dealers in end?

Now I'm not too sure if this is one of their better selling techniques or not but they declined to let me have a test drive as, "We don't like to put any miles on the demonstrator in case it has to be sent back".

Typical 'couldn't be arsed' salesman. Have met many in various franchises. I've had "I'll only let you drive it if you're going to buy the car". They don't like to be told I'm not buying anything unless I've driven it.

SWMBO had an Audi dealer try to sell her a car by revving the engine when he couldn't be bothered moving it out. It was a 1,9 derv not an RS4 so hardly music to the ears.

Typical 'couldn't be arsed' salesman. Have met many in various franchises. I've had "I'll only let you drive it if you're going to buy the car". They don't like to be told I'm not buying anything unless I've driven it.

SWMBO had an Audi dealer try to sell her a car by revving the engine when he couldn't be bothered moving it out. It was a 1,9 derv not an RS4 so hardly music to the ears.

I had a dealer salesman once tell me he couldn't work out or confirm a finance price for me until I'd signed to buy the car I was interested in...!!! Who in thier right minds would sign up for something like a car without knowing what it was going to cost??? And that was a Skoda dealer as well!