Applying Wax to alloy Wheels

Taylor93

Hi All,

I recently got my CitiGo but the front Alloys are starting to get a bit dirty from brake dust etc, I was told the best thing to do is to get a "Hard Wax" and to apply it to the alloys, this makes it easier to wash off the dirt in the future, can anyone recommend the best make of wax to use? Obviously it has to be Heat resistant etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I used to regularly use Auto Glym HD wax on my old alloys on the Mini and worked wonder's gave them a nice wet look shine also and lasted rather well and made washing the brake dust off, even with ceramic pad's, very easy indeed.

Before

30102010584.jpg

After also with a fresh coat on

31102010643.jpg

31102010642.jpg

Hi, Taylor.

The trouble with asking a question like this, you'll get lots and lots of different recommendations (I know from experience) The pics above do look spectacular though don't they. For what its worth, I use `Chemical Guys Wheel Guard`. I'm very happy with that.

Regards.

Mike.

Just use whatever you use to do the bodywork with. Unless you're really hammering it or have a binary driving style, heat shouldn't really be a problem, bodywork gets quite warm in direct sunlight and bonnets have to put up with additional heat from the engine.

For longevity Gtechniq or Wolf Chemical wheel sealants are the answer. A single application easily lasts 12 months+

You seem to read often that applying these waxes & sealants mean you can just pressure wash and they are pristine. I think this is the experience of people that was their cars every week.

Personally, my cars get a wash once a month at best, so a pressure wash doesn't remove everything, however, the sealant does mean that just a shampoo wash is required. I applied C5 to my wheels at the beginning of summer last year and it's still going strong.

Cheers

Steve

I use Collinite 845...very easy to apply

I used this on mine, It's brilliant, I did a coating all over before having the tyres fitted about 4 mths ago and they just need a little wash with a soft brush and a drop of bilberry diluted down to about 1/8 www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/collinite-no-845-insulator-wax/prod_208.html

Cost me about £12 on the bay

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used Collinite 476s for my winter alloy wheels as that's what I had available and it was much easier to do before they went on the car. It's done a very good job on the paintwork so far (10 weeks in) so I'm hopeful it'll last well on the wheels too.

Following recommendations here, I use `Chemical Guys Wheel Guard`. Its not particularly easy to apply but it does the trick...and you do get an awful lot for your money.

• 4 weeks later...