SuperSkoda lower grill winter cover

The Plumber

Dragon's Den - I'm out.

Too much of a ball-ache, too many fingers stirring the mix/muddying the waters.

I'd also need to see one in the flesh or hi-res photos to re-persuade me.

Yes, I agree Merlinman. I am still in (just), but I must admit that this group buy is not going to be easy. I think the best way forward is for everyone to order one themselves (like The Hood did), and then there is no-one to blame if things go belly up, as I pity the poor individual who is caught up in the middle if something does go wrong through no fault of their own. Perhaps we could negotiate a trade discount with the Russian supplier, then each order individually. I notice that most people want price - well, we all know that it is not going to be more than the £60 (approx) that The Hood paid, so if we can secure a 10% trade discount then around £55. Perhaps members were hoping for a lot more, but that price seems reasonable to me.

Edited by Truthseeker

My understanding was that James I had offered to co-ordinate the group buy, with the help of his contacts in Russia. Unfortunately he hasn't posted on this thread since last Tuesday. Unless we hear from him soon - maybe by the end of the week - I think I'll be dropping out as well.

So he did, I missed that. I suppose it might depend how much of a hurry one is in. The Hood's arrived within two and half weeks of sending the money by Western Union. James I's meeting is a week and half away.

What happened to Liverpool, who was also offering to assist?

hello friends

today I have call from strelka11 guys about group purchase. The manager said that cost of one mesh will be 1300 rubles (abour 25.8 GBP) if you will make group purchase. Minimal order is 15 pc. I think it's very smart if you'll transfer the money to one person and he will receive one package with all the meshs and then give them to the other. Shipping the entire order for one person to be cheaper than shipping one mesh to each.

Seems like a fair enough price to me and normal post to distribute in UK has got to be easier than organising your own nationwide delivery network.

Sent from my Xperia S using TapaTalk 2

• Like 1

You're right, that was a helpful post. Apologies for not having kept fully up with this thread, I've been pretty busy - and the thread grew rapidly while the list of interested parties was evolving, it was quite difficult to keep up with it.

If we were to go down the route proposed by Liverpool then as I understand it someone would need to place and receive the order, and onward dispatch the individual orders from the bulk delivery. I'd love to volunteer for that but I've got far too much on at the moment. If no-one else is able to step up then it looks like we'll have to wait and see what James I comes back with after the 29th.

I've tried looking at the site The Hood ordered his from and I quickly reached a point where Google Translate ceased to be of any help. That was when I'd added the item to my basket and wanted to have a look at the checkout process - I got nothing but Russian from that point on, so unfortunately that route is blocked to me. Kudos to The Hood for managing to complete a transaction that way.

Edited by ejstubbs

As an alternative thought,Top and Bottom winter grill covers are available direct from the manufacturer, Heko of Poland, for a cost of about £14 each + delivery, payable by Paypal:

The lower grill cover link is: http://www.e-heko.co...517ff41bae.html

Did anyone consider Arkaig's suggestion, also available on Ebay UK for £19.90 & £11.00 postage. I know it's plastic as opposed to the mesh grill we are looking at. But wouldn't this do the job? It looks like the SuperSkoda's one except a bit cheaper.

Or would this be too limiting on the air-flow front?

Did anyone consider Arkaig's suggestion, also available on Ebay UK for £19.90 & £11.00 postage. I know it's plastic as opposed to the mesh grill we are looking at. But wouldn't this do the job? It looks like the SuperSkoda's one except a bit cheaper.

Or would this be too limiting on the air-flow front?

I understand that the mesh grill is to protect the lower radiator/intercooler from stone and debris damage, whereas the Heko/Superskoda items block out incoming air, thus allowing quicker warming up time. Not sure that I like the idea of restricting airflow 100% though via the lower grill.

I understand that the mesh grill is to protect the lower radiator/intercooler from stone and debris damage, whereas the Heko/Superskoda items block out incoming air, thus allowing quicker warming up time. Not sure that I like the idea of restricting airflow 100% though via the lower grill.

Yup, I fitted the Superskoda lower blanking plate as pics further up after finding a stone lodged between a couple of the cooling tubes.

No problem so far, not affected the warming up time, but it masks the outside temperature sensor :wonder:

I have noticed a minor dent/scar already in the plastic blanking plate.

So yesterday I got some mesh with a view to making some large holes in the cover with some mesh behind.

This morning, I thought why not go the whole hog and remove the front bumper and stick the mesh properly behind the lower grill. At the moment, rain has stopped play, but I'm hoping the removal will be straightforward.

If this works, I still might fit the blanking plate in colder weather - time will tell.

I've got a couple of days next week with OEM car software testing on gravel roads so I might be able to test it all out together with my RRP mod :giggle:

Yup, I fitted the Superskoda lower blanking plate as pics further up after finding a stone lodged between a couple of the cooling tubes.

No problem so far, not affected the warming up time, but it masks the outside temperature sensor :wonder:

I have noticed a minor dent/scar already in the plastic blanking plate.

So yesterday I got some mesh with a view to making some large holes in the cover with some mesh behind.

This morning, I thought why not go the whole hog and remove the front bumper and stick the mesh properly behind the lower grill. At the moment, rain has stopped play, but I'm hoping the removal will be straightforward.

If this works, I still might fit the blanking plate in colder weather - time will tell.

I've got a couple of days next week with OEM car software testing on gravel roads so I might be able to test it all out together with my RRP mod :giggle:

Funnily enough I have been thinking of adding mesh myself.And I have some from a project I was planning for the Cmax but in the end put a new Ford grille on.

Would you please most pictures and experiences of bumper removal for me, and perhaps others, to consider following your lead.

Thanks, Nigel

It was oh so much simpler when I ran a number of Citroen 2CV's over the years - when I was a lad.

Air cooled engine, of course and a very neat plastic bonnet grille for winter that just had 2 lips that just slid behind the rim of the usual grill.

Of course the force of the considerable airflow generated by the 2CV's immense speed kept the bit of plastic in place :rofl:

Whatever happened to Citroen's ingenuity? :think:

Funnily enough I have been thinking of adding mesh myself.And I have some from a project I was planning for the Cmax but in the end put a new Ford grille on.

Would you please most pictures and experiences of bumper removal for me, and perhaps others, to consider following your lead.

Thanks, Nigel

No problem.

I chickened out after rain stopped play completely - it was having to lie out in the road with running water to get to the underside screws that put me off.

I have however, drilled a large hole on the Superskoda blank to give some air to the temperature sensor. I'll see how it works tomorrow.

• Like 1

I think JAMES1 is probably on his business trip, but If any of you want to order direct I am more than happy to help. Here are two possible ways,

you pm me your email address and I contact the seller on your behalf giving them your email address, they would then reply directly to you and you complete the process.

The other way would be for you to pm me your delivery address and I deal with the seller for you, and give them your delivery details and at the appropriate time you make the Western Union transfer yourself.

Both ways you deal with your own finance and don't give a complete stranger (me included!) any chance of ripping you off

Hood - I will take you up on your offer. Option 2 sounds easier (for me). I will PM my email address. You are one of the good guys!

Reply sent, I think they had a choice of silver or black do you have a preference.

Thanks, Nigel

Mmm, slight snag.

Every fastener bar a couple at the top corners under the head lights are easily removeable. I can't see where/how these fastenings are without causing chaos, and the light will be fading soon.

Has anyone actually removed the entire front plastic front end and can give any tips please?

Mmm, slight snag.

Every fastener bar a couple at the top corners under the head lights are easily removeable. I can't see where/how these fastenings are without causing chaos, and the light will be fading soon.

Has anyone actually removed the entire front plastic front end and can give any tips please?

Have a look at this thread;- http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/188952-mesh-fitted-to-lower-grille/page__hl__%20mesh for details of how to remove the silver painted panel in the lower section of the bumper.

If however you want to know how to remove the whole front bumper, please send me your e-mail address by PM and I'll print the details from ELSAWIN (workshop manual) and e-mail them to you tonight or tomorrow.

I will take the details of the supplier and give the to Double V the company we use, I used XE.com and the exchange of 650 rub is about £13, then just shipping I will get a price and let you know. You never know it might even work!

Has anybody had any thoughts on seeing if we can get them made in the UK, we have a company called mutimesh in st helens, maybe they can copy the one from Russia?

'Fraid I've joined this a bit late, but I'd be very interested to hear from James I (when he's back) about the possibility of getting a quote from the mesh firm in St Helens. This may be a non-starter of course, or the price for a low production run may be silly, but if you don't ask, you'll never know........ !

I've searched but I can't find if there is a maximum oil temperature that should not be exceeded. The reason I ask is that today was the first time since fitting the grill that I went on a longish journey that included about 25 minutes of motorway cruising. Oil temp varied between 94-99 mostly at the upper end. Is this acceptable?

Outside temp during this time was 3-4.5.

Fred