SuperSkoda lower grill winter cover

The Plumber

I've searched but I can't find if there is a maximum oil temperature that should not be exceeded. The reason I ask is that today was the first time since fitting the grill that I went on a longish journey that included about 25 minutes of motorway cruising. Oil temp varied between 94-99 mostly at the upper end. Is this acceptable?

Outside temp during this time was 3-4.5.

Fred

Hi Fred,

Worry not; until your engine explodes. :giggle: Sorry; cheap joke .......

.......... Seriously; 94 - 99 degC for oil temp is normal operating temperature.

Cruising on the Motorway at speed (cough, cough), particularly on inclines, my oil temp will frequently venture into the 100 - 105 degC range, but even on a hot summer's day with 25 - 30 degC ambient temp, I've not seen the oil temp go above 110 degC.

If you think about it, whilst the oil has its own cooler it will, in the main, take cooling from the main coolant for which the thermostat is set to run at around 95 - 105 degC.

Happy motoring. ;)

PS> Your oil is designed and engineered to take these temperatures.

It was oh so much simpler when I ran a number of Citroen 2CV's over the years - when I was a lad.

Air cooled engine, of course and a very neat plastic bonnet grille for winter that just had 2 lips that just slid behind the rim of the usual grill.

Of course the force of the considerable airflow generated by the 2CV's immense speed kept the bit of plastic in place :rofl:

Whatever happened to Citroen's ingenuity? :think:

You and me both. We had two 2CVs. I have a hankering for one now!

John

Hi Gents, I am now back from a snowy Stuttgart, the Russian girls were not at the event but one of my German colleagues who is responsible for the Russian business is more than happy to assist me.

I have sent him an email with a link to the strelka website, he is going to get a price per unit, he will also see if a price break is available for quantities over ??? then he will email me back with prices, lead times and anything else we need to know.

Do we know how many we need in total? are we all going to settle for the same colour for simplicity? I look forward to your replies.

• Like 1

I've had to give up the idea of removing the entire front grill.

Two fastenings each side at the top outermost corners seem only accessible after removing the headlights - and I don't want to go that far. The rest of the fastenings are easy to remove.

Just a pity the lower half of the front can't be separated somehow.

I've had to cut two holes in my Superskoda lower cover as the outside temperature sensor was being masked - no apparent affects on warm up times anyway, but at least stone damage is minimised now.

I've had to give up the idea of removing the entire front grill.

Two fastenings each side at the top outermost corners seem only accessible after removing the headlights - and I don't want to go that far. The rest of the fastenings are easy to remove.

Just a pity the lower half of the front can't be separated somehow.

I've had to cut two holes in my Superskoda lower cover as the outside temperature sensor was being masked - no apparent affects on warm up times anyway, but at least stone damage is minimised now.

From memory, when I fitted front parking sensors' there ate a couple of screws that need to be accessed from under the wheel arch.

Worry not; until your engine explodes. :giggle: Sorry; cheap joke .......

.......... Seriously; 94 - 99 degC for oil temp is normal operating temperature.

Thanks bahnstormer VRs, I am gratefully reassured. :thumbup:

Fred

• Like 1

Mine on way from our Russian friends. A really big thank you to "The Hood" for acting as a go between, and organising everything (emails/translation/tracking etc). Cost was £60 which includes the Cash Transfer fee. Could not wait for a group buy just to possibly save a few quid - inter-cooler/radiator protection seems more important.

Despite what I stated earlier, I'm still interested depending on price and pics of the grille fitted! Colour immaterial.

Thanks for your ongoing efforts, James :thumbup:

Well it's arrived.and it was very well packaged.

It is actually held in place inside a wooden frame (the frame is screwed together!) with velcro straps passing through the box to hold it all in place.

th_IMG_1675.jpgth_IMG_1676.jpg

Being me I had to take it to bits! It is a piece of fine aluminium mesh inside a rubber gasket, with plastic tags glued onto it.

th_IMG_1677.jpg

Prior to fitting I hoovered out rather a lot of dead leaves

Fitting it was easy but you need to be carefull with the plastic lugs as they have a mind of their own

th_IMG_1679.jpgth_IMG_1680.jpg

To me the JAMES1 option is by far the best way to get one of these, and with his manufacturing supplier they may even be able to produce a more robust version with a choice of grilles. Small mesh for the summer or a blanked off version for winter, maybe even an adjustable version like a plastic ventilation grille.

But if James has a problem getting supplies I wouldl be more than happy to explain what to do. I have no connection or interests with the supplier and you can deal with them directly. By using Western Union I did not have to give any bank or credit card details to anyone so it was fairly low risk.

Well that's one rather enjoyable challenge out of the way bring on the next!

Pictures already posted.

Just an update, the grille is fine, the fit is good and once it is in place it is quite secure. As far as its content goes it is just basically a rubber/neoprene gasket shaped to fit with an aluminium mesh held in place in a groove. Before fitting I had to vacuum out quite a lot of dead leaves, now with the grille in place there is no chance of any debris or stones getting to the radiator and it does not appear to have had any effect on the coolant temperature.

It would be very easy to remove and dissmantle it replacing the mesh with a blank infill so you could have a winter grille to go with your winter tyres.

Just remembered they also do them for Fabia II and Octavia II

Pictures already posted.

Could do with a close up picture of the grille. Those posted by TH are good, but you don't seem to be able to enlarge (the bottom left one) to get a decent BIG image!

I'm still interested, subject to price & a bigger picture.

Could do with a close up picture of the grille. Those posted by TH are good, but you don't seem to be able to enlarge (the bottom left one) to get a decent BIG image!

I'm still interested, subject to price & a bigger picture.

Not very good at posting large pictures how about this link?

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg493/skodayeti/IMG_1679.jpg

The video in post # 8, shows how to fit, and shows it fitted quite clearly.

Oops sorry, don't know how, but I missed that!

http://i1240.photobu...ti/IMG_1679.jpg

OK, thanks - that's great, I'm now convinced - it looks an excellent job! So subject to price, I'm definitely interested.

http://i1240.photobu...ti/IMG_1679.jpg

That's good.

Useful tip is to look for the 'Image Links' on the right of the photobucket page and click on the 'IMG Code'. This puts [ IMG ] before and [ /IMG ] behind the web address for each photo and allows it to be displayed directly in the forum post.

Here's a pic of my own mesh grille to compare;- DSC00094.jpg

• Like 1

I've cut out some mesh to the exact size of the grille opening but I'm not sure how to fix it.

I've ordered some chrome strip meant for door edging. Current plan is to fix this to the mesh....I will need to trim the mesh....

Suck it and see approach I think

Hi all

I would be interested if not to late.

Black preferred, located in Perth Scotland.

Also, we have a young russian lad in the office who I am sure would be happy to help with any translation type stuff if necessary.

Richard