Fabia Vrs Oil Fix

Will be interesting to see how the revised CTHE engine performs. I'm surprized it's taken so long to reach production cars. Hopefully they have been doing extended testing it to make sure it's ok.

I will certainly be reporting and keeping an eye on the oil level. Running-in goes exceptionally well. I will describe it in greater detail in me review thread but to give you a taster I managed to burn quarter of thank in 10 minutes ;)

If its a fundamental problem with the engine then why doesnt everyone have the problem?? Its clear that some engines use next to no oil ??

If its a fundamental problem with the engine then why doesnt everyone have the problem?? Its clear that some engines use next to no oil ??

Exactly! That's why this so frustraiting. I think it is not the design but manufacturing tolerances really... Mind you, my new CTHE engine, according to some other members here and on other foras, has different turbo unit part number, some valve train part and head cover and lots of oil pump/delivery system parts. New ECU map as well.

Its why I dont buy the oil breather mod etc , there are few variables in modern mass production its after the engine is built ie how its used that most variables occur

Not that I have any solutions but Im not convinced VAG have any either

Its why I dont buy the oil breather mod etc , there are few variables in modern mass production its after the engine is built ie how its used that most variables occur

Not that I have any solutions but Im not convinced VAG have any either

My top culprit is the grey iron cast block and the tolerances there. If cylinder cast tolerances are out of whack even a little bit the liners will be distorting more than anticipated during loads resulting in piston rings not able to seal properly and engines developing a "two-strokeism" :). They can try and cure it by trying to play with pressure equalisation between cylinders and crank case but it is an iffy (and most of the time a dud) solution. Other thing is rings flutter due to bad pressure diferences between cylinder and crank case management. In this case breather pipe mod may work but the usual solution is to install a different type of rings, which VAG at some point did. One other way oil can get into the combustion chamber is from the top, through valves, but I find it highly unlikely really, not this day and age... Going to lenghts of having sodium filled valve stems it would rather highly embarassing not to be able to ensure valves well sealed lol.

Rag it to the redline on a regular basis from day 1 of ownership and its less likely you'll have issues. End of. Mine runs super sweet with no oil problemo "running in" this way hehe. When I sell it I think I'll make a feature of its good oil consumption - should add an extra couple of grand to its resale value ;-)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

They've told me to find it, it requires the removal of the gearbox! I thought these things had to be visible, hence why I ask? I've had a new engine installed so want to make sure everything is correct on my V5.

They've told me to find it, it requires the removal of the gearbox! I thought these things had to be visible, hence why I ask? I've had a new engine installed so want to make sure everything is correct on my V5.

Vicky, I see that you had the breather fix done on 8th Nov. I assume that your new engine was installed before this. It will be interesting to know if the breather fix has reduced the oil usage. I had the breather fix done on 8th Nov., so it's early days but I should have an indication by the end of the week if oil consumption has improved. If no better I will be expecting a new engine, but in your case I guess you will be considering rejecting the car.

Hi Big Sheep,

There are not enough hours in the day to explain the issues I've had. I had a new engine after 5000 miles with the promise this would solve the problem..... I had to drive it for 1000 miles, take it to the garage to be looked at, then another 1000 and go back for an inspection and so on. Eventually Skoda said they had this new oil breather kit that should work but I had to have it fitted, then drive it for 600 miles. I am not a high mile driver so mine will be due to go in Christmas time. I really hope it works as I do love my car. I owned the old model vrs before it and didn't have one problem on 8 years with it! Vicky

Vicky,

I had a look under the bonnet inside the engine bay. Shone light in different places but the only number I was able to see was on top of the gearbox, just under the black air filter to right in the engine bay. Checked with the book and it was not the engine number. I suspect it is stamped underneath.

Your garage should be able to give you the new engine number, you shouldn't be expected to be dismantling half of the car to get to the engine number lol.

They should have documents relating to the engine number in the garage and from factory ?

Apparently, when a new engine is installed, it will be stamped by the fitter, with the exisitng (that which has been removed) engine number. I know people will say this is wrong, and personally i am sceptical, but it is perhaps logical if VAG are now accepting engines have to be replaced to overcome some of these 'issues'. As such there is no amendment to the V5 required. True or false i do not know but i did question the dealer over this when my engine was changed 4 weeks ago.

If i can find the engine number, i will take a look at mine and see if this really is true. Shouldnt be too difficult, perhaps i can do it when it is back in the workshop 'again' if they (dealer) and SUK can come up with a solution as to why under load (above 3000 rpm) i am getting a slight hesitation/missfire with the ECM light (the one that looks like an engine) illuminating, not permanently just flashing.

Apparently, when a new engine is installed, it will be stamped by the fitter, with the exisitng (that which has been removed) engine number. I know people will say this is wrong, and personally i am sceptical, but it is perhaps logical if VAG are now accepting engines have to be replaced to overcome some of these 'issues'. As such there is no amendment to the V5 required. True or false i do not know but i did question the dealer over this when my engine was changed 4 weeks ago.

If i can find the engine number, i will take a look at mine and see if this really is true. Shouldnt be too difficult, perhaps i can do it when it is back in the workshop 'again' if they (dealer) and SUK can come up with a solution as to why under load (above 3000 rpm) i am getting a slight hesitation/missfire with the ECM light (the one that looks like an engine) illuminating, not permanently just flashing.

Sounds plausible would save a load paperwork

Edited by seboni121