Beti the K04 Yeti.

Yeti_Man

• 2 weeks later...

First 'proper' run coming up in Beti since the K04 conversion's been done. Heading off for three weeks to Tuscany for the family holiday and doing a few stop overs on the way.

The Itinerary is more specifically looking like this:

• Euroshuttle to Calias.
  • One night and day in Chambery, France
  • One night and day in San Gimignano, Italy (my favourite of the old medieval walled Tuscan towns)
  • Sixteen nights in Figlini Valdarno, Tuscany
  • One night and day in Annecy, France
  • One night in Reims, France
  • Home!

Pretty tame in terms of countries and mileage covered compared to last summer but hopefully more relaxing and chilled. Whilst we are based in Tuscany Ive also planned day trips to Rome, Lucca, Sienna and possibly Florence and Arrezo so in all we'll cover between 2,800-3,000 miles in all likelyhood. It'll be nice to let Beti stretch her legs properly :)

• Like 1

First 'proper' run coming up in Beti since the K04 conversion's been done. Heading off for three weeks to Tuscany for the family holiday and doing a few stop overs on the way.

The Itinerary is more specifically looking like this:

• Euroshuttle to Calias.
  • One night and day in Chambery, France
  • One night and day in San Gimignano, Italy (my favourite of the old medieval walled Tuscan towns)
  • Sixteen nights in Figlini Valdarno, Tuscany
  • One night and day in Annecy, France
  • One night in Reims, France
  • Home!

Pretty tame in terms of countries and mileage covered compared to last summer but hopefully more relaxing and chilled. Whilst we are based in Tuscany Ive also planned day trips to Rome, Lucca, Sienna and possibly Florence and Arrezo so in all we'll cover between 2,800-3,000 miles in all likelyhood. It'll be nice to let Beti stretch her legs properly :)

Enjoy the trip; I'm sure Beti will.

However, for Beti to stretch her legs properly you really need a run on the Autobahns or up /over a couple of Alpine passes solo i.e. not laden with family / luggage.

Guy

• Like 1

I take it you are not taking the Yeti to the Brisky Meet at Gaydon on Sunday then?

Hi Richard, no, im in Lagos, Portugal until the 7th August now. (then back for just four days in the UK before heading off in Beti on the above trip!!) I will try to make a future meet though. :)

Enjoy the trip; I'm sure Beti will.

However, for Beti to stretch her legs properly you really need a run on the Autobahns or up /over a couple of Alpine passes solo i.e. not laden with family / luggage.

Guy

Guy, I may manage a trip to see friends in South Germany later this year - that'll be the first time she gets her rubber onto an Autobahn since the bigger turbo swap. If I do. I'll report back how she goes at higher speeds. The potential problem with the higher speeds is that, with the standard gearbox I just dont have the gearing I need to take advantage of the performance in terms of top speed stuff; then again, thats never really appealed to me tbh. :)

• Like 1

@Yeti_Man: since I live in Germany and have a lot of opportunity to drive on the Autobahns I must say, that I agree with you. Even though I drive a standard 125 kW (170 HP) 2.0 TDI Yeti and not a turbocharged petrol version (and especially not a car, which would be modified than your Beti were), I can say that the “limiting” factor in terms of reaching higher speed would definitely be the standard gearing.

I have managed to reach speed over 201 km/h (124.896 mile/hour - I hope the converter was right :blush: ) as specified in official technical data (I used a GPS as a reference), but soon afterwards you can literally feel that the “fun is over”. I have never reached the red portion of RPM meter or got so far, that the engine would be cut-off, but I was able to see, that my Keri was trying to let me know, that I am getting close to her limits – so I did not push her to the end :love: . I know that Yeti was not intended for such performance and that is one of the reasons that I have bought a Yeti and not for instance a Superb with the same engine.

But on the other hand, I doubt that there will be a lot of opportunities in driving with such high speeds for a longer period of time due to congested traffic and other limitations (building sites, speed limits, etc.). Especially in a very congested traffic I am very glad to have a standard gearing – I put in the first gear and I can slowly move forward without using the throttle or the clutch. So in my opinion you nailed it with your post earlier. But I think that you will still have a lot of fun on the Autobahn, trust me on that :rock:  – if you will take this planned trip or any other time perhaps.

Have a nice day!

• Like 1

@Yeti_Man: since I live in Germany and have a lot of opportunity to drive on the Autobahns I must say, that I agree with you. Even though I drive a standard 125 kW (170 HP) 2.0 TDI Yeti and not a turbocharged petrol version (and especially not a car, which would be modified than your Beti were), I can say that the “limiting” factor in terms of reaching higher speed would definitely be the standard gearing.

I have managed to reach speed over 201 km/h (124.896 mile/hour - I hope the converter was right :blush: ) as specified in official technical data (I used a GPS as a reference), but soon afterwards you can literally feel that the “fun is over”. I have never reached the red portion of RPM meter or got so far, that the engine would be cut-off, but I was able to see, that my Keri was trying to let me know, that I am getting close to her limits – so I did not push her to the end :love: . I know that Yeti was not intended for such performance and that is one of the reasons that I have bought a Yeti and not for instance a Superb with the same engine.

But on the other hand, I doubt that there will be a lot of opportunities in driving with such high speeds for a longer period of time due to congested traffic and other limitations (building sites, speed limits, etc.). Especially in a very congested traffic I am very glad to have a standard gearing – I put in the first gear and I can slowly move forward without using the throttle or the clutch. So in my opinion you nailed it with your post earlier. But I think that you will still have a lot of fun on the Autobahn, trust me on that :rock:  – if you will take this planned trip or any other time perhaps.

Have a nice day!

Agreed, Ive taken the car on the Autobahns quite a few times now but that was running the stage 1 Shark software on the standard IHI factory turbo - nice to see 'what it'll do' (136mph is the answer) but for something thats got the aerodynamic properties of a rubics cube - that isnt bad! It also got to that speed pretty swiftly. My main 'want' from higher gearing would actually be lower revs when cruising at high speed cruise, presumably benefitting mpg and noise (which is pretty good anyway to be fair). The longer gearing of an S3 gearbox would be nice....  :blush:

• Like 1

You need to get it on an Autobahn to see if you can cruise at warp factor 5 for 8 hours continuously, oh and when you do, please report back with how big your fuel tank is  :peek:  ;)  :rofl:

In the mean time enjoy the Portugese sun  :sun:  :beer:  

• Like 3

I have managed to reach speed over 201 km/h (124.896 mile/hour - I hope the converter was right :blush: ) as specified in official technical data (I used a GPS as a reference), but soon afterwards you can literally feel that the “fun is over”. 

Agreed, Ive taken the car on the Autobahns quite a few times now but that was running the stage 1 Shark software on the standard IHI factory turbo - nice to see 'what it'll do' (136mph is the answer) but for something thats got the aerodynamic properties of a rubics cube - that isnt bad! It also got to that speed pretty swiftly. My main 'want' from higher gearing would actually be lower revs when cruising at high speed cruise, presumably benefitting mpg and noise (which is pretty good anyway to be fair). The longer gearing of an S3 gearbox would be nice....  :blush:

Interesting.  I did the same in a boggo 140 DSG on the Autobahn and the Sat nav maxed out on two different Autobahns at 116mph in my car - and I could also feel clearly "the fun was over" and faster it won't go.  So really not much in it in terms of top speed between the 140 and 170 then.   :giggle:

Heh, I said that I have passed the specified maximum speed, not how fast I went :angel: . I have tried it and I believe that I won’t do it again it again anytime soon, now when I know that my Keri doesn’t like it that much. And as @Yeti_Man said – it really is a great result for something with aerodynamic properties of a rubics cube.

@D@z: I have also considered the possibility of some sort of limiter, but I didn’t explore that any further.

I wish you all a nice evening!

• 3 weeks later...

Beti is now sat parked in San Gimignano, overlooking the wonderful Tuscan countryside. The trip down through France was perfect. No traffic issues and considering the weight on board returning a quite astounding 42mpg whilst sitting at an indicated 70mph. Oh and I still left a new S4 avant behind when doing the obligatory foot down out if the tolls! (Although it sounded lovely) but I don't understand the V6 'T' badge on the wing when its a supercharger!?

• Like 1

I still left a new S4 avant behind when doing the obligatory foot down out if the tolls! (Although it sounded lovely) but I don't understand the V6 'T' badge on the wing when its a supercharger!?

I think VAG (& BMW) are famous for their badge anomolies). I think they just thought it looked better!

You must be running 0-60 in under 5 secs to pull an S4, impresssive as the traffic light Grand Prix is its party trick :D

Mine goes in tomorow for a littlle 'ahem' tweeking. Hope to see the right side of 400bhp :)

• Like 2

Yep, 'V6T' is just a branding excercise - pure and simple.

I'd take the badges off competely if it were mine...

Glad you had a nice run down  :thumbup:

• Like 2

I think VAG (& BMW) are famous for their badge anomolies). I think they just thought it looked better!

You must be running 0-60 in under 5 secs to pull an S4, impresssive as the traffic light Grand Prix is its party trick :D

Mine goes in tomorow for a littlle 'ahem' tweeking. Hope to see the right side of 400bhp :)

That should be very nice and I'd considered doing the same to one in the future but I was genuinely surprised how quick mine was coming off the line next to the S4. Sad but having had a long drive after the incident I contemplated that A, he must be heavier?? B, my gearing was giving me an advantage. I'm absolutely sure he'd have me licked top end if we'd both kept on going.... Having said that his changes were lightening quick and very smooth. It sounded great. I was having to do it myself the old fashioned way!
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lovely photos indeed. Seems you had a fair share of fun driving your gem as well. And the places look stunning too but then again so many painting and photography material places in such a beautiful country as Italy!

"In the car park. We see less than 12 during the whole trip and we always seemed to get one parking next to us (despite lots of other available spaces!) "

After your report I am convinced that Italians just dont love the Yeti as much. Maybe its the looks, maybe the initial high price on bigger engine models, who knows.  Oh well no one is perfect anyway I guess! :giggle: I believe you can consider yourself lucky for seeing that many Yeti there. We've seen like less than ... 5 about 3 weeks earlier when we were there for holidays! (But not in Tuscany though).