Clicking noise from dash

Sat stationery in car, engine off and there's a clicking noise like a solenoid coming intermittently from somewhere under the dash on passenger side. Goes away when flick lights on and off, and goes completely when engine us running. Any ideas anyone?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Mine has a fast click sound. Only happens of turn engine off leave lights on. I've often sat and heard it but cannot figure out what it is. I did wonder if it was some sort of cheap timer for the lights to turn off if left on?? I'd quite like to know what it is too

• 3 months later...

Yes, same clicking here ! anyone have an idea about what it is ? Guess it can't be hazard relay or any indicator, since the sound is heard from dash in passenger side ?...

Yep, mine to. I can hear it when driving and it is intermittent. Kids reckon it comes from under the front passenger seat and it does sound like a solenoid. My Vrs is a May 2012 estate and covered 23k, so 2 (free) services and no fault codes found. No other issues, just one of those annoying noises.

Sat stationery in car, engine off and there's a clicking noise like a solenoid coming intermittently from somewhere under the dash on passenger side. Goes away when flick lights on and off, and goes completely when engine us running. Any ideas anyone?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

With ref the "sat in my car" bit, if this in a supermanrket carpark or such like, other people clicking their remotes to unlock their car generates a solinoid click from the dash

Mine does this as well, and has done for years.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you are getting any fault codes logged.

It isn't coming from the climatronic flaps is it?

+1. Never got to the bottom of it in 6yr, only hear it when things are very quiet.

+1. Never got to the bottom of it in 6yr, only hear it when things are very quiet.

Another +1! If you turn the fans/air con off completely by turning the fan speed to the lowest then off, it'll stop, nothing to worry about at all.

All three of my VRs's have done it, I believe it is linked to the climatic controls and the solenoid controlled air vent flaps. My wife always tells me when she is sat in the car with the keys in it that it sounds like someone twitching behind the dash :giggle:

• 11 months later...

Anyone get to the bottom of this? I get the same thing like a relay or solenoid clicking/ticking. I get it intermittently.

Even with lights off, engine off, climatronic off, radio off, I can still hear it with engine running. Only had the car a few weeks and bought second hand so at the min every click, knock, rattle, is heart in mouth time until I've had the chance to have a good look round.

• 1 year later...

I've got a Skoda Superb 2.5Tdi 2005. 

Mine does the same thing. With the key in the ignition (but not running) it's very obvious. My mechanic sat in the passenger seat and then pressed the 'recirculate' button on the aircon/vent system and it stopped.

He said that it's probably some motorised flap where the flap has got stuck and the motor is turning around losing its thread.

Sounds about right, but how to fix it, I don't know!

There's several things that cause this noise.

Most commonly it's just the flaps and motors moving for the climatronic.

Sometimes when sat with the ignition off I can hear the solenoids in the doors clicking once all round.

An ignition switch fault can also cause a fast relay clicking sound.

Phil

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

Did anyone solved this problem?

My Škoda Octavia 2009 has the same problem where the clicking sound is heard at random intervals, regardless if the fans are on or off. The sound is the same as when the blinkers are on, but without periodic timing. The sound seems to originate behind all four blinkers button, at the center of the dash. Its driving me nuts.

2 hours ago, smoke9 said:

Did anyone solved this problem?

My Škoda Octavia 2009 has the same problem where the clicking sound is heard at random intervals, regardless if the fans are on or off. The sound is the same as when the blinkers are on, but without periodic timing. The sound seems to originate behind all four blinkers button, at the center of the dash. Its driving me nuts.

It seems that the problem is with the dirty and maybe loose indicator lever (behind the wheel), and the solution might be to spray a contact cleaner on the connection between lever and the wheel according to this video:

Will try to do a fix and we'll see. Fingers crossed.

As posted in 2015, the climate control temperature and direction flaps stepper motors click away seemingly randomly in the dash. That is is you have climate control

Edited by xman

17 hours ago, smoke9 said:

It seems that the problem is with the dirty and maybe loose indicator lever (behind the wheel), and the solution might be to spray a contact cleaner on the connection between lever and the wheel according to this video:

Will try to do a fix and we'll see. Fingers crossed.

I've tried and, unfortunately, this method didn't work for me. I will try to pull out the indicator lever and see what is the problem. Maybe contact is loose. Moreover, I have problem with the high beams also, where it will not turn it on when I push the lever away from me. It will turn on the high beams but just for a moment. It seems that it simply skips the position.

All in all, maybe I have broken lever.

18 hours ago, smoke9 said:

I've tried and, unfortunately, this method didn't work for me. I will try to pull out the indicator lever and see what is the problem. Maybe contact is loose. Moreover, I have problem with the high beams also, where it will not turn it on when I push the lever away from me. It will turn on the high beams but just for a moment. It seems that it simply skips the position.

All in all, maybe I have broken lever.

Problem with the high beams is that they cant be turned on and stay on when the knob for the turning on lights is in the position "0", only when you turn the knob to turn on the lights.

On 13/02/2024 at 19:28, xman said:

As posted in 2015, the climate control temperature and direction flaps stepper motors click away seemingly randomly in the dash. That is is you have climate control

I do not have climate control system (Climatronic as it is called I think) and I still have clicking noise... I've looked into the vents and it seems that they might have stepper motors because I saw gears I think. I will open the vents with a plastic pick and see what is going on. The method for opening the vents can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSL5g2-evVI

On 13/02/2024 at 18:28, xman said:

Does this signal a fault or just how it is?